My Talbo Revisited...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike

Reaction score
Greetings !!

To some of you old time posters I apologize for my absence, I have looked in on ya'll but not posted. So hello, and to those who don't know me I hope you're finding cool gear you want.

Back about a year ago I bought this Tokai Talbo from Music Ground in LEEDS... Very nice people. Well never to be satisfied I kept seeing really nicely inlaid guitars for sale on eBay. INLAIDARTIST and BRUCEWEI are a couple of notable people selling - my impression is their inlay work is very nice, but they're on a learning curve when it comes to making GOOD guitars - or what we fanatics would consider good (and playable). BUT you can't go wrong with them for inlaid goods like pickguards, fingerboards, headstock overlays and the like...

One night I found this great rosewood inlaid neck on eBay. I got it for $125.00 with EMS to the States. Ten days later it's on my doorstep. I had my local tech customize the blank end to fit the Talbo - actually for the sake of brevity he did that and a really very good setup and cleaning of all electronics. It was a great guitar - now it's beautiful and a screamer... I did NOTHING to the body and still have the stock neck should I ever want to sell it's a quick swapback of necks...

The below photo also includes my 1897 Washburn parlor guitar - in this case this was a $25.00 inlaid fingerboard and headstock overlay. The photo does NO JUSTICE to the subtle beauty of the inlay - it's a combination of MOP and Abalone... really nice scrimshaw too.

P1010122.jpg

a slightly better shot of the work:
P1010126.jpg

P1010128.jpg

Back