Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orville by Gibson Catalogue Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhager
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
It seems everyone is well into the OBG LPs but I have an OBG J-45 acoustic and am having a heck of a time finding anything out about it. I know it has a solid top but no idea about the back and sides. Serial no is inked on headstock and is G30xxxx. Do any of your catalogs have any info on the OBG acoustics?
Cheers
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew more about the Acoustics.
They were probably made by Terada from 1991 to 1993.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were made it at least 2 plants ( at the same time).
Probably terada and Fujigen, Some have the Gibson TRC and some have the Greco-like TRC with 3 screws. I saw some Terada acoustics with the 3 screws, and I 've seen some Burny Accoustics with 2 screws TRC, so my guess is the 2 screws TRC Orville BG are from Fujigen, and 3 Screws Orville BG are from Terada ( Or IIda as they seemed to be involved in the Orville production).

Only "Orville by Gibson" accoustics from what I saw. Mine is solid wood only and Nitro finish.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6188&highlight=j200
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FujiGen gave up making Acoustics way before any of the Orville by Gibsons were made.
http://www.daeschler.com/articles/fujigen/

According to this page Iida had problems keeping up with orders.
This info is from Jim Donahue, former Ibanez product manager.
They were making Ibanez Artists in the late 80's.
If this is true I think they can be excluded from having much to do with the K Orvilles.
The K Orvilles are from the same time so if they couldn't keep up with Ibanez orders I doubt if they had time to make Orvilles.
Also it's interesting about the set necks and fujigen.
If it's true it might be why Terada seem to making a lot of the early K Orvilles and Orville by Gibsons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that is exactly what I thought. Here is a long story short. Fuji gen the main Ibanez factory started making the Fender Squire guitars in the early 1980's. By 1985 they decided that making set necks was not efficent so they decided to stop, Hoshino Scrambled to find a new supplier for both the hollow bodies and the Solid bodies.

The H90 serial number is very confusing, It should mean 1989 H is Hoshino, Two factories used this Terrada for the Hollow bodies they made and Gretsch guitars and also the Sigma Acoustics for Martin. The other company was IIDA, They made all the Artist's. The guitar you have is an IIDA model. Probably 1987 or 1988, They used H9 for three years? There are also some H7's out there,

In the End neither factory could keep up with production and the rejection rate was very high. in 1990 there was almost no set neck models produced, then in 1991 Fuji-Gen started making all these models again.

So why is it not a Gibraltar II? because IIda ordered the wrong bridges from Gotoh. This was not shown in the catalog withthis bridge.

This is one of those untold things that happens.

Jim D

Jim_Donahue

Last edited by japanstrat on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mhager
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep mine has a 3 screw cover so it must be terada? From the serial no it is a 93 model. For the money I paid it was a stone cold bargain compared to a usa version. I had a room mate in college that had a 60's USA j50 and it had a much different pick guard with kind of points coming off of it and an adjustable bridge where as this one has a Martin style tortoise pickguard and bridge so I am not too sure how exact a copy it is but it plays like a dream and sounds good so I am thrilled with it. Is the acoustic with solid sides you mention a J45 or are the solid guitars only the higher end like J200s?
cheers
Innadaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhager wrote:
Hey there,
It seems everyone is well into the OBG LPs but I have an OBG J-45 acoustic and am having a heck of a time finding anything out about it. I know it has a solid top but no idea about the back and sides. Serial no is inked on headstock and is G30xxxx. Do any of your catalogs have any info on the OBG acoustics?
Cheers

I've got a couple and one of their 'older' siblings.....

And just like all my other ObGs, they're outstanding guitars.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhager wrote:
Is the acoustic with solid sides you mention a J45 or are the solid guitars only the higher end like J200s?
cheers

I don't know, but as they all were "ORville by Gibson" I guess they are all "high ends".

My Greco j-45 is solid wood too.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the 1989 Orville catalogue with the SG-60 model.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k42094589
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated and deleted.

Last edited by japanstrat on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1988 Orville by Gibson catalogue has appeared with Orville Gibson on the cover.
This is the first catalogue and from what I can tell there are no Orvilles just Orville by Gibsons so now that I've seen the 1988 and 1989 catalogues the Orvilles did first start in 1989 and the Orville by Gibsons first started in 1988.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n52139686
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b73682952
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f51202128

btw I've just seen a 1997 Orville SG go for a price that's about the same as a used Gibson SG here in Australia.
When the price of Orvilles is about the same as Gibsons I would tend to go with the Gibson.
I've noticed the price of Orvilles here in Australia has increased a lot over the last 6 months.
Orvilles seem to be the in thing at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: