Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble Dating my axe..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serial number is 1-1-0-2-0-0-6

i have looked thru the 'date yo axe' section in the gibson section but can find no 7 digit equivalent of years. If any of you can help me, please reply, =-)

spec:
LP classic with stock ceramic magnet pickup
honeyburst, etc (my details are in the gibson db section)

happy axing,
mizu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai Love Rock Model #1102006
LS-50 (1982)
Vintage Cherry Burst
w/ modified pickups

[Anonymously Posted by: 'toneshun']

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a ST-65 Tokai,but I don,t know anything about this model.Anybody can help me?There is no such on catalogues in this site.I was told by salesman he couldn,t tell me body wood was made,but this was a japanese guitar.The price asked is 19800 yen used.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'luis']

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, that price converts to approx $162 (US), if its in any shape at all I would buy it. The 65 indicated that the guitar is a replica of a 1965 Fender model (not sure if its a Tele or Strat). The date can be approximated by the headstock and logo script. If they are exactly like a Fender then the guitar was made sometime before '84-'81, if the headstock is only similar then after those dates.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned,the serial number is L-30603.Could this means any similar to Fender L series?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned - re your point about the '65' in ST-65 representing 1965 as the replica year. I don't think this is true - as far as I can see, for all Tokai models since the dawn of time, the figure is the retail price of the guitar in Yen. LS-320 = Y320,000, ES-100 - Y100,000, etc. Certainly it's the way all the Tokai catalogues work

Barry

[Anonymously Posted by: 'barry']

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

I think that scheme only applies to the Gibson replicas. I believe the number in the Fender reps indicate which year is copied.

Luis, Not sure about the L.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ST-65 was a AST-56 really.I asked salesman again and he was a mistake.The colour is vintage white.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you make the purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ned

Re the model numbering, I'm 99% convinced; it's certainly a source of confusion amongst owners and traders alike. Check the catalogues that have prices on your site, and you can see that the Fender clones (ST, TE, PB, JB) also have the same Yen-model number relationship as the Gibsons.

I had always wondered why there was (and still is) a "50" sticker on the back of my early 1980s, owned from new, Tokai Strat, when it's obviously a rosewood neck 1962 Strat replica, not a 1950s replica. It's clear to me now that it's an ST-50.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'barry']

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. That makes sense, for some reason the rosewood neck on a 50's model never caught my attention but I should definately know better.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'ned']

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a "50" sticker on the back of the headstock on my guitar too, however my guitar is a Love Rock so that would dispel the ST-50 theory.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'kent']

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read an article and I'm waiting for the author to give me permission to post it on the site. But the Fender replicas TST-56 and TST-62 refer to the year being copied.

The water seems to be getting murkier instead of clearer with this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ned,
Looks like your move went well! I wanted to add something to the confusion...I have 2 ast62's and 2 ast 56's , 3 of them I bought here in Dallas at Whittle Music in Oak Lawn in 1981 they are all made in Japan! I recently bought a Fiesta Red AST 56 on E bay for $350 it also is a made in Japan from 80-81 ...Until Mikes started selling them on line I was not aware of the Korean Guitars/ Love Rocks etc... My early 80's Love Rock LS70 flame top burst #5025124 is from what year? Huh? Thanks!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mark harvey']

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I think the A=Korea is a relatively new thing, although not sure when exactly.

Yes move went well and we are now finally settled in and loving Austin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: