Question on Tokai Reborn...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringbender5

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Gibson 1960's Les Paul VOS REISSUE -my friend (kmarccoco) told me I should talk to you first. Is there a Tokai as good as or better than this Gibson I am considering? Thanx.... :roll:

Not sure exactly what the VOS is but I'd put my Tokai LP Reborn ('79) up against any Gibson and it would probably win hands down.

Only the bridge has been replaced and it was set up by Mark Erlewine after it came in from Japan. The sound is incredible and the neck plays like melted butter.

I understand VOS is "Virtual Old Stock"

Check the specs of the Tokai "Premium Series" at the link below

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

Not much Honduras Mahogany or Jacaranda (Brazillian Rosewood) in a VOS.

Tokai wins on selection of wood used, fit and finish, and price. I have not heard the Jim Rolph pickups, but he is a respected US boutique manufacturer. They would have been chosen, I imagine, for the authentic PAF tone.

Peter

if you need a thin neck then tokai's may be a bit fat for you, however the quality of the wood and general finish of the tokai's (especially the old pre 1982 ones) exceeds that of a gibson..

With respect to the Reborns, weren't there different models (LS60, LS120, and so forth) and as such, did the higher end versions use different wood and or electronics?

I have a 79 Reborn LS60 in a cherry plain top. While it's a great guitar, as it is in all original condition, I don't know if I'd put it up against a Gibson VOS Les Paul.

yes the LS-80 and above all have fret binding, and correct (18 deg) headstock angle, the ls-80 is a plaintop with gotah paf's the ls-100 is a plaintop with dimarzio paf's, the 120 is a flame top, with dimarzio's the ls 150 a flametop with dimarzio's paf and super dist.....and the ls-200 a custom ordered with AAAA flametop and either gibson pat no or dimarzio paf's ..or any pickups that were wanted at the time...

Thanks Villager....that's very helpful. Sounds like my LS 60 Reborn was an entry level model.....for my own education, what are the factory specs on it? (I have her for years - bought her from Andrew Mechling way back when)

Thanks mate,

Marcus

Thanks for the input gentlemen...however a fat neck might be a dealbreaker for me! :cry: Are there any thin neck pre '82 Tokais? Which model is closest to thin?

Respectfully,
Stringbender5

All the Historics are pretty fat. I have 8 of em' and the R7's feel the largest to me followed by the R8's and then the R9's.

You can't go wrong with any Reborn from the LS80 upwards but fatter necks are the order of the day.

To be honest, if your mate is going for a historic Les Paul then and can live with a big neck, then tell him to invest in a 1999 model R9 (40th anni).

They are starting to creep up in value now and look to be a good investment for the future. IMHO, I think Gibson lost the plot after 2003 with the Historics.

Latest posts

Back