Where is Fireman John? and a garage sale find!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:eek: Havent heard from the Stratdeluxer for awhile... you find the perfect tone combo and split! :lol: I hate looking through other peoples garbage{garage sales} but a girl at one of the companies I deal with knows I like guitars...She offered to sell me a guitar she bought for her son at a garage sale for $75, including the hard shell case. Her son wants a Fender style guitar , this one is made, he sez, for an "old Man". So I now have a Korean made Joe Pass Epiphone blonde, takes the sting out of selling "Ace and Gary" 8)

I miss Stratdeluxer, too! He's got a wealth of knowledge that I am hoping to tap into when I start ripping into the innards of my Love Rock.

That Joe Pass Epiphone sounds like a keeper. It's such a different body style from what most rockers go for these days, so for what you paid, it's worth it just to have around when the mood strikes.

Have you ever listened to any Joe Pass? I've started paying attention to more jazz the last couple of years, and have discovered him. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he's beyond anything I could ever hope to be!

:D I was born and raised in Miami where Joe Pass also lived , I caught him playing in many of the jazz clubs on the beach and in Coral Gables when I was in grade school!. My Dad's best friend growing up was the Great Joe Morrello {jazz drummer extrordinare} when he would come to visit I got to go with Joe and my Dad to Miami Beach lounges where Harry James, Louis Prima, guitar master Tony Mattola and Joe Pass would jam till the sun came up! I missed a lot of school but got the best education . Mr. Pass was a troubled guy , today we would call him a manic depressive/ bi polar , but man could he play! I'm gonna give the Epi to my father for Christmas when I go there in December! :wink:

:D That reminds me ! I have some reel to reel tapes I made on a Wollensak of Joe Pass with Uncle Joe on drums, the late Ray Brown on bass and Oscar Petersen at the Boom Boom Room of the Fountainbleu Hotel in 1962! I gotta get those tapes out when I go home! :p

Very cool info about Joe Pass, thanks. Didn't he also write Guitar Player teaching articles for a while? I've got to dig out my old issues. I've particularly enjoyed stuff I've heard from his "Blues for Fred" CD - songs made famous in classic Fred Astaire movies.

Does your dad play also?

Novosel,like you I am more blues and jazz oriented than rock at this time.I was very lucky getting an Heritage Eagle I die for ,and my impressions about electric guitars changed.Jazz guitars are more guitars than solidbody for me(only see the prices)although I like LPs a lot too.Had Tokai make in the past any Jazz guitar?

8) My Dad is a drummer who dabbles at a bit of everything, he toured and played with George Shearing , Nat Cole, Peggy Lee and recorded with Sinatra and just about anyone who recorded with Capitol in the 50's and 60's. He has a set of Ludwig drums that have a room to themselves next to the garage and a complete studio that he bought the board and amps from Capitol back in the early 70's. My brother and I grew up with a studio as part of the house, there is a bathroom out there and some big couches and all kinds of equipment, amps , guitars , B3, bass and piano! He retired 10 years, and is working on his guitar playing...Home was always a lot of fun! Thats were I lived growing up! :D

Hello guys....Hugs and kisses to you all! :lol:

Sorry I haven't been writing lately,though I have been reading...Busy last couple of weeks....

Anyway,Thanks for asking about me.I appreciate that...Regarding the electronics questions inside your Love Rock Novasel.....Ask away anytime or feel free to e mail me @ [email protected]

My Love Rock is finished (FINALLY FOR NOW) :wink: And here's the end results....

Classic 57 in the neck position.....3/32" measured from poles to strings
SD Custom Custom SH11 in the bridge....1/16" measured the same...

Tweaked by ear from side to side after these measurements...

Mallory 150 series .022 tone caps on both tone pots
CTS 500K Tone pots
.001 Ceramic 1kv cap across the neck volume control for highend retention
820 pf across the bridge volume for the same reason
Nail polish across where 10 would be on both tone pots to remove the cap and tone control resistances away when on 10...Subtle mod with 500k pots(Works better on strats/Teles w/250k pots) :lol:

D'Addario EXL 110 strings
Vintage bone nut/replacing the plastic......The guitar is phenomenal....

John

Weird coincidence :eek:

I just spent the weekend watching a Joe Pass tutorial video, I come on here today and there's more JP!

From what I've seen on the video I'd say I like Joe - he was a real musician.

GB

Great Stories Tokaiguy, You must of had some great experiences growing up. My dad was a drummer also but was up in years and had quit playing buy the time I was old enough to realize it. He had a nice set of Ludwigs that I remember. The Joe pass stories are great I had but regretfully sold a Joe Pass Ibanez that was an amazing guitar. :cry: Just wanted to share that...Mike

Back