Long neck tenon question????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosenguitar

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Reborn Old models from 1980 has a long neck tenon?
How about the 1981 Love Rock goldtop models??

Many thanks

Just a coincidence but I happen to own both of those models. My Reborn Old is a black LS-50 Standard and the '81 Goldtop is a LS-80. Both are killer instruments (the Standard has the original Gotoh PAF's and the Goldtop has SD Antiquities). Anyway, I'm not sure what the long neck tenon is but if you could describe a way of identifying it I'll let you know.

Thanks for helping!
If you were to look under the neck pickup in the cavity, you would see where the neck joint ends- about halfway into the pickup cavity. That is the longer neck teneon joint. With the shorter joint it ends before the neck pickup cavity.
Thanks again

Jeff

I know on higher-end Gibson Les Pauls, the long neck tenon extends halfway into the neck PU cavity (where it is then routed away when they rout the cavity), and on regular production LP's, the short tenon ends well before it ever reaches the PU cavity - but on my '84 Love Rock, the tenon ends flush at the cavity where it's end is visible, although it doesn't really extend farther into it. Sort of halfway between long and short, I guess. I don't know if Tokai made a longer one or not, and on what models?

That really long-winded sentance wasn't much help to you, was it? :-?

This is a bit tricky. I popped the pickup off the LS-80. It looks like the tenon is generally more or less flush with the cavity. However, the base of the tenon (if it is part of the tenon) appears to extend into the cavity but there is a half-oval route there into the body of the guitar and its hard to discern if this is actually part of the tenon or not. So its possible the base of the tenon extends well into the cavity. (How else would the pickup fit in place?). Anyway, I'm not sure what the advantage or disadvantage of a long tenon is. I can only vouch for the overall sound and integrity of the guitar.

Yes!
That have oval "smile" is the neck tenon piece that is visible under the pickup. How about on the Reborn Old?
Also how do you know the model number of the goldtop? I am buying an 81 Love Rock goldtop from someone but he didnt know if it had a model number???
thanks much!
Jeff

I've had problems loosening the screws on the pickup ring on the Reborn Old. They're probably stripped so I can't help you with that. However, I have a ST-80 SpringySound and the '81 LS-80 Goldtop. I found out the model numbers by locating the spot on the back of the neck just above where it meets the body. In both cases I put the neck under a light and could see the outline of an oval spot where the sticker model number would have been. Then I used a strong magnifying glass to locate the feint remnant of the model number left by the oval sticker. See if that works for you. You may have to view from different angles until you can see it.

Latest posts

Back