Hunting for Burny RLG-80 'Super Grade' Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
I have been a big fan of Burny electrics for some time and have owned about two dozen or so; mostly RLG-80, RLG-90, & RLC models, and currently have a 61 SG Standard model.

My favorite Burny model is the RLG-80. Of all the Burnys I have owned my most favorite is a very special early 1980s RLG-80 with black insulation VH-1 pickups. It is finished in a very rare amber burst, not as dark as a honey burst. I have posted a pic of it in the forum before.

Ever since getting my hands on my #1 RLG-80 I've been on the hunt for another RLG-80 that would equal it in playability and sound. I have always been of the opinion that the older black insulation VH-1 pups were better sounding than the later gray insulation models. I even recently posted this comment about the VH-1 pups in another thread. "The general rule is that the older black insulation ones sound better than the later gray insulation VH-1s. From my experience this seems to be very much the case."

Well today I may have killed two birds with one stone, as I recieved an incredible playing and sounding RLG-80 from Japan (thanks Toshi)!!! The playability on this newly acquired lemon drop RLG-80 is very close to my #1 RLG-80 and to my amazement the gray insulation VH-1 pups sound as good as any set of the earlier version black insulation VH-1s that I have owned. :eek: I am shocked....... :eek:

From the looks of the decal position, the NO deluxe line tuners, the truss rod cover, the cut of the nut, and the gray insulation VH-1 pups, I'm guessing this is a mid or later 80's model.

My search for a RLG-80 to match my #1 RLG-80 may have finally come to an end but only time will truly tell. I know that right out of the box this lemon drop RLG-80 from Toshi comes as close as any I have had yet. I would have never dreamed that the nearest compitition to my #1 would be a mid 80's or later model with the newer gray insulation VH-1s. Just goes to show me that some general rules are just that, general, and that there are some very rare exceptions to most general rules.

Here's a few pics of the new lemon drop beast; a beautiful flat sawn plain grain flitch matched maple top, sweeeeeet!!! The last pic is my #1 (on the left) and her new compettion on the right, LOL.......enjoy...............

Toshi2.jpg

Toshi1.jpg

ToshiHisashi.jpg

Nice!!!!

What are the necks like on your 80's? My late 70's Burny has a rounded profile but not big by any stretch - very comfortabale though. My Tokai TV Jr.'s neck is quite big in comparison.

Jim

Hi Mijvintage,

Those RLG-80s are sweet! I have come across an older model of a burny les paul replica. This one has Les Paul Model instead of Super Grade on the headstock. The tuning pegs are nickel..but shaped like klusons. She looks nice but I cant give her a test drive as she's available online.

I was wondering if you had any information on these earlier burny les paul's and if they are regarded as being as good in terms of playability and tone. Do these models also come with a long neck tennon and VH1 pups? Also any information with regards to whether I should be paying around the same prices as what the 80s burny super grades are going for would be helpful.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Suresh

Suresh, the model you are refering to is likely the FLG which is I believe the predecessor to the RLG.

The earlier FLGs do not have the VH-1 pups, the fret edge binding, or the era correct single ring Kluson style tuners that the later RLG Super Grade Models had.

I do not purchase, collect, or sell the earlier FLGs, only the later RLGs. As far as the RLGs, I've never owned one with a long neck tenon.

Hi Mij,

Thanks for your comments. I understand that you do not collect and hence would not have any first hand info on this range but I would appreciate if you could share any further info at all on the FLGs...just hear say that you have come across would be of help as well.

There is so little information out there on these that any information at all interms of their tone and playability would help.

Best Regards,
Suresh

iambotak,

I have one of the earlier FLG Burnys and while I do believe it's a good guitar - if I had it to do all over again - I'd hold out for an early 80's model with fret edge binding. The bridge isn't a correct ABR- style on the 70's Burnys either and the neck angle seems to be a bit steeper.

Take care,

Jim

Hi

You are right about the early FLG?s (before 1978). They are all made with inferior hardware and a steeper neck angel and no VH1?sf, but often the wood was very good. The Flg from 78-79 were made by Tokai (only FLG 60 and it is equal to LS 60), and then in 1980 Burnys are back and they are very good with correct hardware. In 1981 the superreals appears, again nice guitars, but like 1980 only FLG 90, 150 and special order 240. In 1982 all guitars was RLG?s the 240 was out and the RLG 120 and RLG 50 was borne. Same in 1983, but there is no RLG 80? When was RLG 80 born? I think many guitars from the early 80`with the old style truss cover sold as RLG 80`s in fact are RLG 50?s. But still they are very good guitars, with two piece backs, old style VH?1?s and solid tops. For more information about early Burnys have a look www.japanaxe.com , the forum in the Burny treads.

Now I'm confused...I have a late 80s Burny Custom that definitely has the black insulation VH1s...oh yeah, I love it!

Hi MIJ,

I found another Burny which looks like it has not been played in years. There seems to be so much confusion regarding model numbers ect. I'd pop it up on the forum to ask if anyone knows what model/year it is. It has a 2 piece solid top and either 2 or 3 piece back which would seem to make it a lower end model, but I am pretty sure it has fret edge binding??? Also, from another thread since the pickups have the 4 brass screws I think they must be VH1s but there is no stickers on them like on my RLG90 or any sticker on the mounting ring. They also are grey wire which from what I gather reading the forums would mean are newer models and this guitar seems to be a bit of a relic or someone left it in the barn for a couple of years. :D Anyway, here are some pictures if anyone can give me some details I would appreciate it. I wish Burny would have put a bit more info on their guitars. Even serial numbers would be great for dating them. Also this one seems to weigh about 2/3 of what my RLG90 weighs??
whole.jpg
top2.jpg
singlepickupfront.jpg
headstock.jpg
frontpickupcavity.jpg
fretedge2.jpg
backofpickup.jpg
backofbridge.jpg
Thanks a bunch, M[/img]

Hi mhager

It looks like a 1982-1983 tobacco sunburst RLG 50. It is VH1?s the change to black wire seems to bee in 1984-85, and back to grey wire when the truss rod cover changed !. I bet it is zebra pickups. Unscrew the brass screws and have a look. If so it is an early RLG. Stickers on the mounting ring around 1994 and stikkers on the pickups just before. The newer grey wire pickups have phillips high adjustment screws, Yours have single slot screws. The SG taipiece is also says 82 -85 model.

nice guitar !

nils

One black and one white single coil pickup under the cover. Always 2 single coils to make one humbucker!!

go to page 2 under burny model numbers. It is a late 80s early 90s flame top cherry sunburst and it weighs about 13 pounds :p

Hi, I'm new around here!

Just purchased my first Burny LP and it looks very similar to MIJvintage's new RLG-80. From most of my research I am fairly sure mine is a RLG-80 as well, but am not absolutely sure.

Is there a definitive way of telling which model it would be? I have not got around to popping out the neck pickup to check wiring colour or tenon length yet.

Also when did they change from the gibson bell shaped cover to the one with the little points about halfway up, then to the palace shape.

I would post some pics but haven't worked out how to do it yet!

Thanks, Benny.

glamrock, welcome aboard the Tokai Forum :)

I have been refering to the plain top Burny 'Super Grade' Models that I prefer as the RLG-80 model for some time because that is what they were referenced as BUT it looks like they may actually be RLG-50 models.

Whatever the case may be as far as the model number, they are still my favorite plain top Lester.

All of my Burnys have had neck length tenons which means they are only as long as the neck itself = not a long tenon.

The change from the correct bell cover to the one with the two points sticking out, one on either side, came at approximately the mid 1980's; '85 ~ '86

Post some picks once you get that down.

These folks will help you do it FREE :)

http://photobucket.com/

Hi Glamrocker

The 1987 catalogue shows the old stye trussrod cover, so my guess is that the change to the winged style was as late as 1988. I have seen a super grade with a 1988 serial nr. with the winged style. In 1996 they still got the winged style, so the new style is after 1996. It was also in that year, that the Korea models was introduced, with the new style TRC.!!

I?m working on a paper on Burny models and history, just waiting for some Japan translation. I will let You all now, when it is finished!

nils

Oh I forgot to ask, was it the Burny from Tim?s guitars in Brisbane You have got?

If so it is a mid 80?s RLG 50 with 2 piece back, fretbinding , VH1 pickups etc.

Nice guitar

nils

Thanks for the photo help MIJvintage, see below.

Yes nils, it is from Tym's, and yes the photos were lifted from his website before anyone complains!

Thanks for the info guys, however what separates a RLG-80 from a RLG-50?.
Cheers,
Benny.

Picture2501.jpg

Picture2503.jpg

Picture2506.jpg

Picture2499.jpg

Picture2505.jpg

Latest posts

Back