One for the tech heads.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornelius bonobo

Reaction score
I've built up a Strat copy from salvaged parts (not a tokai, but I've got a Tokai sticker on it!). The body is 2 piece alder, and the neck is a slab rosewood board type. Having listened to dozens of rosewood board strats played acoustically mine just doesn't sound right. It's way brighter than anything else I've played, even most maple board strats. I have the trem set flush to the body with 4 springs. I use D'addario 11s and have a graphtec nut. The trem is a pretty basic Korean one with chromed saddles which I have thought about changing or blocking off. Does anyone have any tips on how to make it sound a bit more full and woody, or am I stuck with it like this? Most people I have asked say that it's probably just not terribly resonant wood and that I should just live with it. Plugged in it sounds OK ish, but I feel that if I could get the thing to resonante a bit more somehow the tone would fill out a bit when played plugged in.
Finally the neck fits the pocket ok, but does not quite but up at the body end. Would some sort of wooden fillet here flesh things out a bit?

Are you shure it's rosewood?? I know it's been used other wood types on some necks that looks very much like rosewood. The main rule is; the denser the wood, the brighter is the sound..... So if it's some denser woodtype type, you'll have to change neck or live with it....

I think you hit on the problem when you talked about the neck and the pocket! Thats why a set neck sustains so well , it seems logical that your loosing a lot of resonance in the gaps. That would be the place to start! Fill da pocket! Also that trem may be suspect, what's the sustaining block made of? Best of of luck my Toaki brutha!

1: The neck came with 22 frets and I removed the final fret overhang with my router and a jig-saw (I doubt I'll ever use 22 anyway, and it made it look less vintage) and it certainly smelt like rosewood when I was doing that. If you've ever smelt rosewood dust you'll know what I mean, so I'm pretty sure it is.
2: I was wondering if the sustain block might have anything to do with it. It probably ain't steel as the whole unit was less than ?20 (roughly $30 or euros).
3: I have a some ash which I was going to use for picture framing. Should I use this to fill the gap or that plastic wood stuff which I guess will finish up harder.

Thanks for the tips chaps, if you're interested I'll keep you posted on my progress.
So far I've tried smaller gauge strings (to let the trem springs relax a bit). That did nothing, but I should have guessed that. I let the trem float a bit, which seemed to help a tiny tiny bit (wierd I know) and I added another trem spring with no effect at all.
If nothing else this is turning into an object lesson in which components on a guitar have the biggest impact on tone.
What are your experiences?

:D "Hands across the water"! from Dallas to Essex and back! The more contact that the neck and body have the more tone you'll get, as far as the trem try www.allparts.com they have the best price's on replacements and they list prices in U.S. and Euro. One other option is on Ebay "guitar builders kit" they have a Saga kit with every thing you need to build a strat for $74! thats less than a trem alone! Ive built a few for the fun of it and they use quality parts! Made a George Harrison "Rocky" and a Hendrix "Monnterey" Check it out ! Best of luck! Does the Nova of Essex still have it's spoiler? :lol: !

Back