Ibanez Artist AR300 / 2619

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybone

Reaction score
Well, I recently got my bonus from work, and so I thought "what the hell" or words to that effect.

Now when I traded my LC65 for my LC70F at my local music emporium, they had a lovely looking Ibanez Artist sitting there also, off in a corner, next to all the Lo-Pro euipped dive bomb monster skinny necks. It was a coin toss between the two guitars, but the Love Rock won that day.

Since then, I'd been eyeing the Artist up, picking it up now and again to check it out, standing back and assessing the wallet and, more importantly, the marital situation if I walked into the house with another guitar.

On accounting for the aforementioned bonus, I realised I could now afford said guitar easily, and as it was reasonably priced in the first place, for an original 1979 guitar with little playing wear and damage (an action you could limbo dance under though! A quick set up sorted that without touching the truss rod), I did a wee bit of bargaining, and got it for a nice price, including a case, which turns out to be the original Ibanez item.

Sorry, I digress, the guitar is a double cut Artist, dating from 1979, with gold hardware, original pickups, pearloid button machinheads, block MOP&Abalone inlays in an Ebony 'board and more importantly two "Tri-sound" mini toggles, which access coil tap / humbucker / phase sounds. Before I bought my LC65, early last year, I owned a 1977 Artist, same model, but with one mini toggle, and a DiMarzio in the bridge. It was nice but headstock heavy, then I played the LC65 and fell in love. The Artist went in part ex. but I fancied getting another.

If you aren't familiar with the Artist range, think of a thick SG with LP controls. Thin Mahogany body with a contoured maple cap, maple neck & ebony 'board, Super '58 pickups. As its aged a wee bit, it sounds fantastic, clean it has a lovely rich, chimey tone in all switch choices, but kick in a touch of drive, and it sings. The Tri-sound adds a lot of variety into the choice of sound/tone. Definately an unsung classic, and one to check out if one comes available while you're out looking for an LP Reborn.

EDIT: OK, so I lied about the pickup's being Ibanez's Super 58's, they are in fact Super 80's (pulled 'em out today to have a look see if there were any markings in the cavities). The spec's published on the Vintage Ibanez site say Super 70's on the 2619 and 58's on the AR300. Go figure!

Ahhh... brings back memories of my 1978 gloss black Ibanez Musician. It was one of the few guitars that I really regret getting rid of now. They made some great ones, and prolly still do. Congrats, and hope you enjoy the new/old purchase. (One year my wife took MY bonus and bought cemetary plots from my in-laws...)

Paying to have the mother-in-law burried - I think you got a good deal :lol:

wrt Artist - I had the same idea a while back but found the neck profile a bit too fat for my liking, but the top end ones do look gorgeous.

GB

The plots are for ME and my wife... They just happened to have a couple "spare" ones. Creepy, huh? They have little land titles, or deeds, and everything just like real estate... I wanna know if I could trade mine in for a good Love Rock. I won't know the difference later anyway...

Here's a nice Ibanez...(Speaking of the devil...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=919598536

Back