Burny LP model numbers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhager

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post and I am wondering [ anyone out there knows what the differences between model numbers on Burny Les Pauls is? I know that as the number increases it is a higher end guitar, but how can you tell the difference between a FLG 50 and a FLG 70? I have a Supergrade late 80's early 90's with 2 piece back and 2 piece maple top flame veneered and vh1 pickups but have no idea what model it might be. It's one of the heaviest guitard I have ever picked up but sustaines forever. Also, the bridge pickup was highly microphonic when I got it, I wax potted it which helped a lot but it still squeals like a pig at high gain. pickups have amazing tone though, any ideas on how to get them to calm down? Thanks a lot, M :D

Are you able to post any pics?

From your description it sounds like a RLG-90 model, i.e. 2 piece flame veneer top, which are usually sycamore I believe

What do you think villager as far as the veneer spicies? I'm sure the birdseye top (like you currently have) is maple but a lot of the flame top ones look like sycamore.

As for the pickup and the microphonics, I personally have not experienced that problem with the stock VH-1s from any of the nearly 2 dozen RL models I have owned. I also do not recall hearing anyone else mentioning this problem from the VH-1s.

Good luck with the microphonic issue.......................(edit) :lol: .....................

Here are three RLG-90 Super Grade Models I have owned although I prefer the solid topped and usually non flamed top RLG-80 models.

My first RLG-80 (left) which is my #1 Burny of all time and my first RLG-90 (right)
RLG-80RLG-90.jpg

RLG-90 with wide flame in amber, sweeeeeeeeeeet................
RLG-90Amber.jpg

RLG-90 with pin stripe flame in cherry burst
BurnyFlame6.jpg

Here are 5 Burnys; these things kick some Gibson butt................
5LPs.jpg

Thanks for the reply MIJVintage,

I am real new to this so here goes with images.
burnyhead.jpg

burnyfront.jpg

burnyclose.jpg

burnyback.jpg

Like I said, It is a heavy beast but really sings. I was wondering if all Burny LPs are SUPER GRADE? They don't seem to be as well regarded as Grecos on this forum but a friend of mine has a Greco SUPER POWER and this Burny blows it away. Anyway, great forum! I am quickly becoming addicted to these Japanese guitars.

M, Looks like you have a pretty nice example of a Burny RLG-90 there; nice looking flame top.

Doesn't seem to be too many Burny fans on this forum, at least from what I've seen in the short time I've been around. You probably won't get much response in regrad to Burny; it is after all the Tokai Forum, LOL.

I know since I've been on the forum there are two or three members that seem to just get a kick out of trying to get a rise out of newbies like myself. It's almost like they're still in jr. high school, and never grew up.

Good luck here, welcome to the forum..................................edit :lol: ..................

MIJ,

I love the look of that plaintop RLG-80 you have - very cool!

I have an early Burny Goldtop LP that's pretty nice. I don't know about a model number - it's an oldie from '78 I'm told. It has an impressed serial number on the back of the headstock and is silkscreened "Les Paul" on the headstock, too. The only bummer with it is that it uses the bridge Fernandes went with before going to a true ABR-1 clone. The bridge ends up being pretty high off the body so to get some slinkiness out of the strings you have to top wrap over the tailpiece.

I replaced the bridge PU with a '57 Classic but the neck is so Clapton/Cream sounding it's staying right where it is. I'd describe the neck as being medium-round - a little chunkier would be nice, but I still find it way more comfortable than my '79 Gibson LP Deluxe.

Welcome to the forum!

Jim

Yea, I love my Burny. I have never had the chance to play a Tokai but I can't imagine that they are a whole lot better than this. I have always been a Tele/Strat guy but when I picked this up and played it and it was under $1000 AU it blew me away. I have read a lot about poly vs nitro finish but don't know what the fuss is about. This guitar feels great in the hand. I'd like to find some other Japanese guitar fans here in Melb but I don't see many around here. Grecos are about it. By the way, has anyone spent much time on the Fernandes forum? Any other suggesstions for non Tokai info? This place is great though, thanks for your replies.
M

Back