Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LS95 Tweaking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianclark
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: LS95 Tweaking Reply with quote

It's unusual for me not to change the pickups on a guitar, but I'm pretty satisfied with the pickups on my new LS95 so far. However, I was reading about the slightly different 1950s wiring and couldn't resist trying it out.

I also took the opportunity to change the capacitors... I'm watching some Bumblebees on Ebay, but for the moment I've used a pair of Orange Drops. I recorded a couple of clips (same notes, same amp settings) first for the original wiring, then for the 50s wiring with the Orange Drops. The difference is very, very slight, but I think I can hear it. Basically, the guitar sounds "thinner", but in a good way... an increased clarity and definition.

Adrian
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you're into orange drop territory you can't get much better as far as caps are concerned. I wouldn't waste your money on the bumblebees.

You may want to consider new pots as well, a good set of CTS controls will further improve clarity and definition.
andersozzy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totaly agree, I?m just about to do a new 50?s wiring on my Tokai LS80F and I?m using CTS pots and orange drops. I?m very satisfied with them.

Anders
Sweden
TSL
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orange Drops are nice indeed, and maybe not worth changing, but I did anyway. The Hovland "guitar caps" are almost as big an improvement over the OD as the OD are over the ceramic discs. Granted they cost a few dollars, not a fraction of, like the Orange Drops. Still a very cheap and effective mod.

Anyone who says it isn't physically possible for the caps on "10" to alter the tone only reads books and doesn't listen.

I do both.
Kaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Orange Drops do I need (capacity) for the LS-80?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaze wrote:

Does it depend upon the pots you are using?
Kaze
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really don't know, until now it's all original, but I think about changing into CTS Potis, like the higher models.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaze wrote:

0.022uF is the standard. It doesn't matter what pots you use, but 500k audio taper CTS do all the right things in a les paul.

Last edited by Paladin2019 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSL wrote:

Anyone who says it isn't physically possible for the caps on "10" to alter the tone only reads books and doesn't listen.

Y'mean books that tell you things like "the tone cap's job is to remove parts of the signal, not process it, therefore the reason they don't make a difference and the reason most guitar companies get away with using cheap, nasty, noisy caps is that you don't hear the signal that passes through them"?

I reserve the right to question you as my tone caps cost me quite a bit more than Hovlands
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaze wrote:

Hi.

RS - guitarworks takes .015 - .022 ?F for their Hovland guitarcaps, Andreas Kloppmann recommends the Mallory caps in the same size, .022 ?F ...
I have both in my LPs ... sound great and together with CTS pots you really learn what your tone pot is for ...

BTW - www.guitar-goods.de

Adrian,

If I were you I would be very cautious regarding the bumblebees - the old sought after ones are so rare that you have to pay 400-500 $$ for a pair of them - if you ever see one of them - fake58 sells "fakes" of them, not the origin ones but P&O with a fake coat that looks like the bbs ...
... but they are referring it ...

Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, some interesting points there, chaps. Given the quality of the Orange Drops and the existence of fake Bumblebees (thanks for the alert, Roger!) I think I'll stick with the ODs.

Kaze - the "standard" value for use with humbuckers is 0.022microfarad. As I understand it, the voltage value generally doesn't matter... with reference to Strats, Chris Kinman recommends going for higher-voltage caps simply because the thicker wires are easier to solder. I went for the 400-volt Orange Drops, simply because 400v was the figure I saw quoted most often on vintage Gibson droolathon sites.

Next step... CTS pots. Are all CTS pots pretty much the same, or should I be looking out for a particular variety? (500k audio taper, obviously)

Adrian
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianclark wrote:

Next step... CTS pots. Are all CTS pots pretty much the same, or should I be looking out for a particular variety? (500k audio taper, obviously)

Adrian

I'm interested to know as well because I'm thinking of 59ing my Reborn. We've covered mostly pots, caps, wiring - just a few more details to hunt for.........I recall reading that the pots need long shafts and that the pickup selector switch replacement can be a tight fit.......I'm just having a hard time finding the thread that the info is located in.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go ...

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6262&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianclark wrote:

Adrian

There are two variants to watch out for - long and short shaft. I've got a couple of long shafts in my LR and the holes had to be widened to accomodate them - not sure if the shorts require that kind of modification.

If you end up doing the switch too, don't buy the standard switchcraft gibson upgrade as it won't fit without butchering your guitar (you have to sand the cavity so thin that you run a huge risk of cracking and/or completely mangling the wood around the switch). There's a long-thread version out there you can use.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Rockinger switch and it fitted correct and. it?s good quality.
You can get it from them at www.rockinger.com
Maybe ACY in Germany too have any that fit OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: