pics at last!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving

Reaction score
finally got some pics while missus is out(crimbo pressie). anyone any clues on oval mark on back of head stock, have original pups but s/ds sound fine for now. i'm told original finish olympic white-evidence of paint at neck/body joint. has been waxed so dont know how successful restoration would be but looks nice anyway. sold as a '84 goldstar but obviously disguised as f*****. any info at all would be appreciated.
pics180.jpg
pics179.jpg
pics178.jpg
pics108.jpg
pics101.jpg
pics104.jpg
pics129-1.jpg
pics177.jpg
[/img]

The oval mark at the base of the neck near the body is where a black sticker with a white number on it used to be. The number indicated which model the guitar was, typically 38 to 120.

The number also indicated the list price of the guitar 38,000 to 120,000 Yen.

Next to the small oval sticker it would have been a Made in Japan sticker, a thin rectangular one - creating a mark just like yours shows :wink:

From looking at the end grain on your guitar, the body is made from 3 pieces of wood suggesting a middle range model.

The large oval sticker shading on the back of the headstock is not a typical Tokai marking.

thanks for your info. dont know whether to be worried about oval mark or not!! maybe previous owner/s had some sort of sticker on it. regardless it plays/sounds great and i've got it with the intention of gigging with it. thanks again and sorry bout the dodgy pics.

helge_e21 said:
greco strat had an oval sticker with the model number on it. i think its smaller though.

I've never seen that type of sticker on a Tokai, I think it was probably a sticker from a music store there.

Mike

its frustrating-or is that what makes it fun- that there is so much mystery around tokais. i'll have more infowhen i can get under scratchplate and check for s/no's and markings. incidentally, there are no final prospec markings on bridge.

thanks to everyone for their help.

hold the neck up to the light and you might see a number that has come through the sticker . that is the model nomber. i.e st 50 or 80 or even higher it signifies the cost of guitar st50= 5000 yen and so on

Latest posts

Back