*PIC & CLIPS* Thursday Burst + Wolfetone PAFs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi again, long time no see. Haven't been on the forum lately. But I figured that this might be of interest to you guys :)

I bought a set of Wolfetone Legend PAFs just before christmas, used at a good price. Both are double black underneath the aged DMC covers that Wolfe provide with these.

After all the Christmas, birthday celebrating and other holiday stuff I took some time to record a clip for you and tried to take some decent shots of my upgraded... almost comlete Thursday Burst project. It's dark outside, but I did my best. Better shots will come when I update the project site next time.

Some of you know the Thursday Burst project while guys that signed up here recently probably haven't read it. It's a Love Rock that gets modified to achieve more Burst-like tones and looks. Check the link in my signature if you wanna read about it.

Compared to the stock Gotoh PAFs, these are much more open and raw sounding. Reacts very well to your playing and the volume control. Very PAF vibey. Had to tweak and adjust to poles a little to get them where I wanted and now I'm happy.

If you are striving for the Burst vibe like I am with Thursday Burst. These are KILLER stuff :D

ThursdayPAFed.jpg

Recorded with Thursday Burst -> V-Stack Classic -> Tweed Pro Junior (low volume)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=309222&songID=4839363

The different parts of the clip:

1. Neck pup chording with Neck pup lead.

2. Aerosmith style. Bridge pup all the way, both rhythm and lead.

3. Bluesy licks. Neck pup all the way, starts off with volume at 8, then 9 and at last 10. To show how amazing these are with the 50's wiring. KILLER! :D

4. Last some countryish stuff. Bridge all the way.

Hope you enjoy and give your thoughts and comments! :)

Hi there!

The pickups sound great IMO, nice playing too!

A friend of mine just recently bought a set of Wolfetones Dr.V's, and I was really impressed with the sound even tho I was only able to play his R9 through a 5W tube amp, you could really hear that "PAF" in it.
I'll be ordering a set for myself pretty soon I think.

Anyway, I think you've got the sound pretty close to what I guess you're looking for, but what do I know... :)

Setup sounds good IMO, you should be happy with it!

Ps. bor p? Kyrkoesplanaden :D

It might be my ears,but are you sure the intonation is set up,it sounds flat,but hey thats just me,im a perfectionist.But it would be nice on someone elses view,coz it might be ME :p

Wolfetone DR.V's are the best I've ever heard. You wanna get the real deal PAF vintage tone these nail it!!!! Nobody else really comes close, no contest. Rolphs, Timbuckers, Ants, Holmes, Fralins, are all a far second for TRUE PAF tone. You can take any guitar and put these in and you'll quickly realize where most of those old great vintage tones come from. Wolfes pups are gonna be huge once the world latches on! The single best piece of gear I've bought, played or used in 25 years. PERIOD. Simply amazing and you just have to hear to believe it. I've had the pleasure to play tons of old Gibsons with real deal PAF's and all the aftermarket contendors in other guitars, when you hear the openness and absolute perfecetion of these it is just so inspiring to play guitar. No need to spend tons of dough on "old wood" :D

Bob

plexirocker68 said:
Wolfetone DR.V's are the best I've ever heard. You wanna get the real deal PAF vintage tone these nail it!!!!

Then if you read the original post again it says these are Wolfetone Legend PAF's, still sounded good IMO, but I'm in no way an expert.

Plus I'm listening through a crappy headset right now before my new one arrives :oops:

Guess I'm speaking from what I personally heard from Wolftones, they do Rock!

Crybaby, in your previous post you talked about a friend who had the Dr.V's and I was just relating my experience with those pickups. The legends are killer and so are his Marshallheads but the Dr.V's. my oh my those are PAF's. Rock on :D

Bob

Hi! I would like to change the pickups in my MIJ LS-80, so I'm really interested in these Wolftones. What is the difference between Legends and Grey Wolf?? Besides the price... :wink:
I'm searching for a non-muddy, creamy, but also crunchy sound for Blues, Pop, Rock. No Metal. Is it possible to get the Legends non-aged? Thanks for your help!!

To plexirocker68, You're absolutely right! Just a little missunderstanding on my part then.

Kaze - I'd suggest you e-mail Wolfetone telling him exactly what you're looking for, from what I understand he's a great guy and you'll probably get a good response.

Kaze, you've pretty much described the DR.V's. They are very clear and articulate but can rock and be creamy without the mud. They are just so toneful and the real deal PAF. They are a BIT underwound for clarity and tone but there is plenty under the hood to rock. They can sound like the best vinatge PAF tone ever or drive them thru a high gain Marshall and you can just NAIL the early EVH tone!! I know I'm big on these but they are the BEST for the vintage PAF tones :D You'll just hear your guitar in a whole new way. One thing you may not know is that Wolfe uses a VERY particular wind and a magnet that's of a certain gauss factor, not artificially aged. It's that magic combination that makes them work and he doesn't wax pot them either. But that's not a problem, crank in high gain mode and their fine unless it's WAY extreme gain. You can get these with new covers and they look great.

Bob

Hey! Thanks guys, I'm really really satisfied with these PAFs guys... from the the hollow honk that they give out when playing clean to the creamy classic overdrive of the neck pup they just rock!

The bridge sometimes reminds me of Pages biting lead on some Zeppelin tracks. The bridge can be bright, but in a good way... that's what we have a tone contol for. Combined with the 50's wiring I like pups being a little brighter, so you can use the range that the tone control has.

A big thanks to Wolfe for making great pickups! :D

Crybaby, what! Kyrkoesplanaden... in Vasa? Almost like you can see me sitting by the computer through your window then :lol: Are you playing in any band or anything or are you just a home player like I'm for the moment?

Rossi, might be a little out... I don't have the best pitch ears ;) I didn't even tune before recording these quick takes... shame on me! :wink:

plexirocker68, I've heard as much good words about the Dr.V's as about the Legends and I would probably have gone with a set of double cream Dr.V's with aged covers if I would have ordered from Wolfe directly. But used is always cheaper and a welcomed alternative for me :)

Yeah I'm in Vasa, remember reading through your homepage once perhaps a year ago or something and noticed you live really close to me hehe...

I'm a couchplayer yes, and I have been since I started playing like 7 years ago, I've wanted to play in a band for a long time but haven't really bothered looking for one, any suggestions? :)

Ps. (Sorry about the Swedish) Skulle g?rna vilja veta hur du spelat in "bitarna" om du inte har n?t emot det. Maila g?rna, MSN finns nedan f?rhoppningsvis..

Hey, thanks for your help! I sent Wolfe an email and I'm pretty sure, I will spend some money soon... :wink: I just wonder why the Legends are more expensive than Dr. V or am I wrong?? Do I have to pay tax when sending the Pickups to Germany? Can I do something more for my Tokai? I already put in the alu tailpiece and the faberkit from togps, can there be more?

Kaze said:
... and the faberkit from togps, can there be more?

Yes. Maybe a tailpiece made from Titanium? :wink:

Product#SR002 Titanium Tailpiece

ktstitantailpieceta9.jpg

言うまでもなく、純チタンブロックからのオール削りだし。
上面のR部は、念入りなバフ仕上げにより、見事な光沢を放つ。
YJEN 52,500 (消費税込)

More info:
http://www.k-t-s.com/english/home.html

What's this in Euro??? And what about a titanium bridge?? Does it really sound "better"?? :eek:

:lol: WOW!!! Maybe I'll think about it again in 20 years! :wink:
So I'll better leave the nice alu tailpiece in my LS....

While searching: what about the Bare Knuckles, e.g. Stormy Monday/ Mule? Did anybody compare these with Wolfe's??? Do you know a page with soundfiles?

Wow jees! 350? for the tailpiece, I remember seeing those titanium tails before but I didn't remember them that expensive :-? :-? I could justify the ~50? that I bought my aluminium for, but I would never ever pay 350? for a tailpiece.

Has anyone here ever tried one?

Cool cool! Looking forward to reading it, even though I couldn't justify the price :lol:

Just updated the Thursday Burst blog/site with some pics of the armwear and subtle body relicing that I've did. And some closeups of the Wolfe PAFs! Check it out :)

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/
neckpup_guard.jpg

Back