amps similar to jmc 800 combo ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sovtek Mig 50 exists in combo version too, but it's rarer. Sovteks are no longer made & are still good value on the used market, but that will change!

I have a JCM800 combo, and I'd recommend you go for a head & 2x12 cab! ;)

I was seriously considering a Laney GH50 & a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab.

If you do go for a JCM800 combo, go for one of the earlier ones with the G12 65 Celestions in it. They're great speakers. Later ones have the G12 T75s which are more mid-scooped & un-rock'n'roll.

Mine had the G12M 70's in until one died. I replaced it with a V30, which sounds good, but the G12M 70 sounds better IMO.

Mine's a late 80's single channel model, and you do see them on eBay with the G12M 70's. The other good thing about the old 70w G12M's is that they're pretty light compared to a V30!

Christ!

The Laney GH series is a pile of rats ****. Sound like a box of nuts and bolts in a washing machine on full spin. I've seen at least 5 on the bench with shagged transformers. The Sovteks ain't much better.

Take Skybone's advice and go for the early JCM800 50w top. It's the last decent amp Marshall made. Plus you'll get your money back if you want to sell later on. AS LONG AS YOU LOOK AFTER IT AND GET IT SERVICED REGULARLY as is the case with all tube amps.

Any decent 2x12 with celestion 30w G12H's will sound great.

It was Guitargoblin's advice, but I totally agree with it... The early 800's are the best.

They do tend to go out of synch with a fair amount of use, especially if you use high volume settings. Getting an 800 serviced regularly is essential to get the best out of them.

My combo's for sale BTW for anyone who's after one in the UK.

Latest posts

Back