Anyone here tried the Cornford Harlequin?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried one at the LGS - they are quite impressive.

The full overdrive tone is a bit too hot for my tastes but the sustain is excellent.

They're also a bit lacking in the xtra's dept - you can't do a lot with them, they've got that whole minimalist thing going on.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with greater tone control and more channel switching options?

It's a bit like the Chef that refuses to put salt on the tables lest you ruin 'his' creation.

My overall opinion is great sound but lacking buttons and nobs for my sticky fingers.

GB

I've been swopping email with a very informed and helpful ex-Harliquin user. In the end he bailed out for an Ashdown 40 watt Peacemaker, for several reasons:

Harliquin's lack of headroom and disappointing clean sound. Amp lends itself much more to dirt and overdrive. The Peacemaker has great clean tone, bags of headroom but still dirties up very well.

Then there are a few conveniences like spring reverb, effects loop and multi channel. And it's much lighter too for us baby boomers with a dicky back, which admittedly is something I really should think about. In theory it sounds like a bargain.

Have a look at the Peacemaker reviews on Harmony Central - the guy's main review is posted there. Very detailed. Name of Davor Pavuna from Switzerland. He'll also answer any emails.

40 watt (1x12) or 60 watt (2x12) Peacemakers come in at half price or less than a Hurricane which is the next option up from Cornford with more flexibility.

Must admit I'm gonna try 'em all. I see the odd Hurricane is coming up for sale 2nd hand now so it's not quite so daunting. Even so I've a sneaky feeling the Ashdown is gonna be a surprise package.

Decisions, decisions..... 8)

Hmmm I think you're right, but then as you say if it's bought for hi-gain then should be no problem 'cos I haven't heard one word but praise for that.

On the subject of smaller amps, what do you reckon is the god of living room amps right now? I need something purely for home. The Flextone II I have is OK but it's just not for me. The Harlequin is really too much dough to justify for this and I really could do with on board spring reverb -plus I like a mix of dirt and clean sounds (I've a sneaky feeling I'll get a Hurricance or Hellcat when I get back to doing some gigs).

I have shortlisted the Ashdown 40 watt Peacemaker, but even that might be overkill, dunno. What do you think? In effect something that sounds great with master Volume on 3 or 4, but not necessarily that great on 9 and 10!

Crate rhymes with great...hmmm :wink:

Thanks Barry, sounds a bit more like it. Gotta come up with something, no harm seeing if there's any about.

Mark

villager said:
for home tech 21 trademark 30 does it all....

After playing through your's I picked up a 2nd hand trademark 10, My orange stack hasn't been fired up since :D Used to have a flextone III but think the tech21 sounds a lot more 'real'

Back