question about Tokai PRS copies

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhiting

Reaction score
1) are they any good? I have seen one with a 030XXX serial # and made in korea - but I don't see them in the 03/04 tokai catalogue. is it a fake?

2) I noticed some tokai 335 copies from a seller in canada on ebay that go pretty cheap. are they real or fakes?

sorry for the noob questions.

Ben

bwhiting said:
1) are they any good? I have seen one with a 030XXX serial # and made in korea - but I don't see them in the 03/04 tokai catalogue. is it a fake?
Yes. It is a fake!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6551
No authentic Tokai?s have been imported into Canada since 2004. There have been counterfeit Tokai?s shipped into Canada from Korea and China before and after 2004
See here the correct headstock of an official Tokai PRS Style.

pict3700largesi2.jpg

Equipped with Wilkinson tremolo.

pict3710largeid1.jpg

bwhiting said:
2) I noticed some tokai 335 copies from a seller in canada on ebay that go pretty cheap. are they real or fakes?

Yes. It is a fake!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6551
No authentic Tokai?s have been imported into Canada since 2004. There have been counterfeit Tokai?s shipped into Canada from Korea and China before and after 2004

Hummmm, I bought "new" Love Rock from "just some" guy in Canada just a few months ago. He is listed on this forums links page. I also bought a Love Rock from Wizards, who is also listed on this forums links page. I'm happy with both of them (quality wise, the one from Canada is much better). I would think (and hope) that people selling fakes wouldn't be allowed to do business here! So with that in mind, I'm sure the Tokai I bought in Canada is not a fake.

As for Godlyke, I asked them in Jul 06 about dealers in Canada. In their reply they never said I could not buy a new Tokai in Canada. They never gave a list of dealers either. Ahhhhh, litigation is a wonderful thing.

And the saga continues.

The ******** continues..... :-?

I'm sorry Togps but you really have no actual knowledge of Tokais dealings with the Canadian distributor, NOBODY DOES including Godlyke so you really shouldn't be spreading this type of hearsay.

Dear Kevin,
do you think, Mr. Shohei Adachi, President of Tokai Gakki Co., Ltd., Hamamatsu, Japan, is a liar??
Anyhow, I am not willing to discuss your internal problem with your supplier here in a public forum.
This is maybe better for your business
I sent you as well an email.
Good luck and take care!

well I'm finding this frustrating. The "fake" Tokais (both PRS and E335 copies) on Ebay look like quality pieces. I called the person with the PRS and he was a professional musician and literally swore by the guitar. What am I missing here?

I don't think anyone is questioning the quality just the legitamacy of the brand name.

Well since I bought one of these guitars from JSD I thought I'd give my 2c here. I'm not saying it's a fake or genuine - I don't know. I also own a MIK Love Rock which is a fantastic guitar that I am very happy with so I have used that as a comparison with the PRS copy.

Here's how the PRS measures up:
- appearance and finish were just as nice
- neck feels great and very playable
- pickups were horrible (replaced with some SDs)
- nut was too high (not a major problem, just had to get it fixed)
- wrap-around bridge has little adjustment capability so intonation cannot be precisely set (a little disappointing)
- tone pot has developed scratching noise
- there is a strange resonance issue which causes sustain to die quickly on certain notes high up on the fretboard (this is the most annoying issue and I have tried lots of set-up tweaks to try to fix this)
- another concern I had was that although I bought the guitar new this year the serial no. was dated '03

I bought the PRS copy based on my good experience with my MIK Love Rock. I was looking for something which matched the tone but was lighter and more comfortable to play. All in all I am pretty disapointed and I am beginning to wish I had returned it.

Thanks for this review ... helps to decide !! :-?

... and Welcome to the forum !! :lol: :lol:

Roger

slkkrq said:
- there is a strange resonance issue which causes sustain to die quickly on certain notes high up on the fretboard (this is the most annoying issue and I have tried lots of set-up tweaks to try to fix this)
I have a feeling that if you looked really closely you'd find that the truss rod cavity has been routed on an angle.
When the truss rod is adjusted it twists the neck like a corkscrew rather than adjusting the vertical height.

The smartest thing Paul Smith ever did was to bring out the SE series. I've never played a copy PRS that was remotley close in build quality to PRS's own SE series.

Ozeshin said:
I have a feeling that if you looked really closely you'd find that the truss rod cavity has been routed on an angle.
When the truss rod is adjusted it twists the neck like a corkscrew rather than adjusting the vertical height.

I know what you mean (I have a bass guitar like that).

On my PRS copy the truss rod is fine and the neck not twisted. My theory about this problem is that the guitar has a strong resonant frequency which happens to be at the 12th fret on the g-string. This is the note which sustain dies the quickest. If I down-tune the guitar, the problem follows the note and not the fret. I've eliminated string brand, string guage, pick-up brand and height, action, neck relief, intonation (as much as possible) and signal chain.

Anyway, sorry to highjack this thread. :-?

Latest posts

Back