Overdrive pedals

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I build my own amps based on the Dumble ODS, so generally I don't need an OD pedal. However, sometimes you need one for a jam session or whatever, so when Robben Ford started using the Zendrive, I bought one. I like it so much I ordered a couple more. Best OD pedal I have ever used.

Bill

I always go by the feedback i.e. Harmony Central.

If they don't have feedback on Harmony Central forget it.

DAPHON E200D. Made in China, metal casing, the same chip as the Ibanez TS-9. Sounds identical to the Ibanez TS-9.

?15 new on Ebay. Bargain of the century! 8)

I've got a 20 year old TS9 that I've retired in favour of a Zoom G2 and the amp modelling features...beats anything i've used hands down.

Ozeshin,,

you're right - the old or modded TS-9 normally give all what you want them to do ... and provide a superbe sound !! :lol:

Roger

BTW - I play mine with the Damage Control as a preamp - phantastic !

I suppose it's not technically an overdrive, but the Maxon Distortion Master is pretty........diverting (through Marshall style amps anyway)

Yeah I agree with deadman.

I owned an original Ibanez TS-9 and the DAPHON E200D is so close I can't tell the difference.

Hi Guys, and a Happy New Year!!!

I have the following overdrive pedals: a TS5 Iba?ez Soundtank Tubescreamer, a Russian Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and a Nobels ODR-1 Overdrive. The sound of the TS5 is quite close to the reissue TS9 Tubescreamer, but its not very durable, as the casing is made of plastic. I'm thinking of having it rehoused in a metal casing.... The Big Muff is more like a fuzz, but it does the overdrive thing quite well too... The Nobels is the best sounding of these three, just my opinion anyway.... equal to the TS9 (i borrowed a buddy's TS9 to compare them; i used a Fender Princeton Tube amp).... I usually hook up the Big Muff and the Nobels, or sometimes a Jim Dunlop Fuzz Face to the Nobels..... I also usually add a dash of chorus (i use the Boss CE2), and that's my sound.... very warm, but i can go to scream mode using the bridge pickup of my Springy Sound.....

Well, that's my set up.... I recently got a Danelectro Fab series Overdrive (they are quite cheap!!!); very nice sounding, although flimsy as well due to its plastic casing.... Cheap though....

deadman and japanstrat, you mentioned the Daphon E200D.... I''m going to look for that one, thanks for the tip!!!

Cheers!!!

Chum

As hard as it is to believe , Deadman is right .
Got myself a Daphon to just have a look at and am very impressed . Took a bag of pedals round to a friends house when his Proco Rat was stolen and the one pedal he borrowed from the choice was the Daphon.
This was from origional an Marshall Guvnor and an all singing and dancing programable Korg as well .

Hi to all!!!

After reading Deadman and Japanstrat's comments on the Daphon E20OD, i was quite curious as to how close it would get to the TS-9 sound..... Well, i searched high and low for one, but the stores were always out of stock, and no one selling 2nd hand.....

Well, about a week ago, a guy posted TWO pedals for sale, the E20OD and a Daphon Distortion unit..... Both for about Php 1,500 Philippine Pesos, or about US $31.25.... well, i got him to take Php 250.00 off the price, and I got both pedals for Php 1,250.00, or about US $26.04, or US $13.02 per pedal...... 8) 8) 8)

So i tested them, and wow....... Very very very close to my Nobels ODR-1, and my Iba?ez TS-5 Soundtank sounded rougher........ What a deal!!!!

Thanks a million for the tip, fellas....... This Daphon's a KEEPER!!!

Chum

It depends what you want and what your comparing it to.

I mean I love the original Ibanez TS808 but you cant compare the TS5, TS9 with a TS808. :D

The original Ts808 was in an entirely different ball park!:)

I mean the original TS808 you would literally kill your mother for!:0

Meh...comes down to preferences..
I prefer the TS9 to the TS808.
I've got a first run of the original TS9's and it's always been a reliable fallback.
I've gone digital recently and the models get pretty dammned close to that TS9 sound.

The DAPHON E200D is also being sold as Freedom E200D.
They are basically identical to a TS-9 apparently they use the same chip as the Ibanez.
I really can't tell the difference.
Using the E200D as a boost into a Marshall = Tone.

I'm quite satisfied with my Keeleyish modded DS-1, but I know there is something better out there. I guess my personal holy grail would be a bluesier DS-1 or a TS-9 with a bit meaner attitude. I've always thought that tube screamers are a bit lame, but now I feel like something mellower than the DS-1 could make it on my board. BTW my only other overdrive is a Zoom Ultra Fuzz, which I use mostly for gated synth-like tones.

Any recommendations, a bluesier DS-1 or a meaner TS-9. And did I already mention that I'm on a budget? :cry:

Outsider said:
I'm quite satisfied with my Keeleyish modded DS-1, but I know there is something better out there. I guess my personal holy grail would be a bluesier DS-1 or a TS-9 with a bit meaner attitude. I've always thought that tube screamers are a bit lame, but now I feel like something mellower than the DS-1 could make it on my board. BTW my only other overdrive is a Zoom Ultra Fuzz, which I use mostly for gated synth-like tones.

Any recommendations, a bluesier DS-1 or a meaner TS-9. And did I already mention that I'm on a budget? :cry:

A Boss OD-3 would be my recomendation. No mods necessary

There's a guy in Helsinki who also sells selfmodded SD-1's for 80 ? or so. Check the site:

http://www.uraltone.com/kauppa/index.php?language=en

Might give him a call.