Need Help Identifying My 2001 LS-75Q MOAK

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apmechling

Reaction score
What's Up Guys?

I just got in a really nice 2001 Japanese LS-75Q MOAK Love Rock and I'm not really sure what the MOAK stands for...

I saw in the 2000 catalog that there is an LS-75Q model and under the color options it says "OAK" ...

Does this mean it has an oak quilted laminated top with maple underneath or does it mean something else?

The finish feels really thin and different than on the other poly-finished LS models.

It has a kind of brownish natural quilted top on it that's really special - I've never quite seen one like it before - it kind of looks like the one that is in front of the other in the catalog, but it is more mild in color - not real shiny and polished. Very earthy-looking.

I'm going to be selling her soon and just wanted to get a second (or third, or...) opinion on her. It has the original manual from Tokai Gaki Co. Ltd. Japan and it is stamped "LS-75Q MOAK"

It is not a Korean model.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the MOAK stands for...

Thanks in advance for your input :)

APM

apm,

I think you'll find it's quilt maple veneer stained to an oak finish - moak.
With a solid maple cap underneath.

cheers
GB

Duh :D

I should have thought of that! It's a new kind of wood the Japanese are growing - MOAK wood.

Man, they have square watermelons here, so why not a new kind of wood called MOAK? It is kind of funny, actually, and I'm not poking fun at the Japanese... quite the contrary - all their innovations and replications have given us LOTS OF GREAT GUITARS! They take something that is there and perfects it, and VOILA - the Tokai guitar! :)

This one is really cool - so what do you think the silky finish is then? I know for sure it's not the standard poly. Silky is the only word that comes to mind, and it's not shiny, either. So you think maybe the stained wood is unfinished in a way? The whole guitar has that feel, not just the body.

And the back is a 2-piece center-seam mahogany. Very nice work, even though it is a 2-piece back.

Spot on Barry,

The LTD has a satin cellulose lacquer - I guess it's easier to get a satin finish to behave than a gloss one.

BTW there are a few LS 100/LTD's being imported into the UK - I've got one!

I can put you in touch with a man who can if you want one, they are very nice :lol:

GB

apm - just had a thought if you pop out the neck pickup it'll tell you what it is, if it just has a hand written T XX then it's an LTD otherwise it'll say LS 75Q

OK here's where I get a kicking:

They were being imported at same price as a LS70 ~ ?750
Until I pointed out to the LGS what they were :-?

Now new UK updated price care of yours truly - ?900

Sorry
:oops:

But I got mine for ?750 - I wasn't stupid enough to tell them before I'd bought it!
:wink:
GB

Latest posts

Back