New Goldstar Sounds

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkaz

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about new Goldstar sounds?
I bought one from an EBAY buyer who called it a 57 Strat replica.
He, in turn bought it from Mike's Music in 2001-02 Winter.
Other than the Goldstar label, I have no information about the origin of this guitar and was curious if anyone new of current production of these?

I have bought 3 of 'em from Mike's, and all were good instruments at good prices. ($350.00 approx.) I believe the Japanese production models going into Canada have skunk stripes, while the Koreans don't. Check your's out. I think the Korean models are still being sold, but the Japanese ones seem to have become harder to purchase new in North America. Hope this helps...
BTW: Neither the Korean or the Japanese strats I dealt with had any serial numbers visible.
Dave

Can you elaborate a little when you say skunk stripes? My copy is a vintage sunburst. I'm also looking what production year they are copying.

I've read that the Japanes models have the Kluscon style tuners while the Koreans don't. Any truth to this?
To be honest, I don't know why I'm sweating this all that much. The guitar looks, sounds, and plays nice. I'll most likely end up changing some of the hardware and am definitely changing the pickups. The set up was for a jazz player and I have it set up again. We'll see. All in all, a very nice guitar and I'm pretty happy with it.

The stripe is on the back of the neck, like the Fender models. My 2 Japanese ones have it, and the Korean one did not. I don't think it's really any more than a cosmetic touch, and didn't affect the sound. Actually, the Korean strat I owned had better sounding pick-ups than the stock Japanese, but I have been using a set of Fender DeltaTones, which have wonderful tone and seem to be fairly "hot".
You might want to look into a set of Graph-Tech String Saver Saddles for your guitar. They are pretty cool looking and supposedly improve sound and extend string life.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back