1959 Les paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochay

Reaction score
I was able to check out a real 1959 Gibson Les Paul (a Flamey!!!)and compared a 81 Love Rock LS120 - the differences....
1. '59 has long tenon
2. '59 fretmarkers ar smaller than the Tokai

That's it!!!!

the Demarzio's kicked *** on the PAF pickups
The neck position on the LS120 was much sweeter that the PAF neck pup-

SHoot I like my LS120 at about $122,000 less --great deal !!!

Hi Ochay,
Was it really such a let down - the Gibson? I mean what about the overall tone and presence of the '59? You say that the Dimarzio's kicked the *** of the PAF's. You mean tonally they were better? I really don't like the Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker so I'm somewhat wary of the PAF version. What about the quality of the fingerboard and the overall feel?

It's interesting. You expect so much when you encounter these guitars such is their mythical status that I think it's hard to be objective.

mikey
the DM super distortions are horrible...the paf's are somewhat better ...but in my opinion the tokais with DiMarzio paf's deserve better PU's than the stock ones....

I think the old LS-100/120s have what you'd call a "medium tenon", that is to say the tenon stretches about 3/4 of an inch into the cavity, but not right under the neck pup as with genuine 59s or Historics. Is that right?
Ochay or Villager should be able to confirm

You're right with the medium tenon ...

'79 LS120 Reborn

Tokai79LS120-022.jpg
[/img]

Tokai79LS120-020.jpg

Roger

To tell you the truth I actually believe you could not see a big difference between the two...

It's strange however how most people seem to claim they can notice huge differences between old and new tokais (even high end ones).

Strange world

tudor said:
You're right with the medium tenon ...

'79 LS120 Reborn

Tokai79LS120-022.jpg
[/img]

Tokai79LS120-020.jpg

Roger

Hey Roger, is that a solid top?

My LS100 has a similar thin, light band around the top edge of the pickup cavity.

So few of us will ever get to play an actual '58-'60 Les Paul, I am ALWAYS interested in hearing from those who have experience with the "real thing" ... i own and have played many vintage Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers, Gretsches etc., and when i play a '64 SG i begin to imagine what a '59 LP would be like....

Can any members who have compared a Japanese copy to the real thing give us their impressions, and what they think is the closest 'clone' in terms of feel/playability/tone (i'm not as concerned with specs or looks, at least in the context of this question).

Thanks!

I played the real Flamey for about 20 min and thought while I have her her might as well compare-

I was suprised that the necks felt identical the overall vibe/sound of the real Flamey was fine--->nothing wrong with the sound-
But..when I plugged in the Love Rock the difference was amazing. The Demarzio's would let you catch harmonics all over the fretboard- whereas you had to really dig in with the PAF's .

The Real '59's --the neck wood is extended into the neck pickup cavity-the Tokai's (late 70's Early 80's) the neck wood stops at the neck pickup cavity--I don't think that makes such a big difference as the Pickups you have installed-that makes a GREAT difference.

My 2003 Historic's neck joint is a good comparison:

normal_2b_3.jpg

Here's a 1979 LS120's neck joint---
normal_P1010018.JPG

Scott,

I have "borrowed" these pics from the seller ... 8) 8)

It seems so that the top is solid ... look ...

Tokai79LS120-019.jpg
[/img]

... or did you hear of a Reborn with maple veneer - I don't know but I don't believe that there were laminated or veneer caps ... ?? :-?
... and the light band is from the out and in of the pup - the first lacquer film has been damaged a little bit ... :wink:

Roger

ochay,

I've learned to be cautious with any trace of assertions ... 8) 8) 8)

Roger

PS. ... and my eyes can be mistaken ... :roll:

check out this Post in the LPF- what a bunch of dip*shits

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119139

Wow!! ........as the man said "Tough Room" :oops:

You got 'Flamed', buddy.

Well said Mark. :-?

Good idea Mark.
Some people still don't seem to have got over the last War and are maybe taking themselves just a bit too seriously.

What the hell is wrong with these people? To have invoked this kind of fury just by expressing an opinion on a couple of pieces of wood with strings on is beyond my comprehension? It's pathetic.

Back