Quest for Early Angus Young Tone

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most definetly the Marshall 18 watts or any clone, especially a 2x12" version is your ticket... plug straight in, use both the guitar and the amp's volume and tone, that's all there is too it.

spikeymikey said:
I think that the Ozmeister and JS are right with the style thing. Quality gear helps but I think all this schmengulation 'tween guitar and amp and this setup v that setup gets in the way of things a bit. Keep it simple I say. I know Angus uses a humbucker equipped guitar but you can nail that almost clean sustaining tone of his with a Junior and a 20 - 50 watt Marshall head. Try the new smaller hardwired Marshall series and get some power stage distortion going.

Mike.

Good point. I can get very close to Angus' sound with my Juniors. That's also 'cos I'm heavily influenced by the little runt though! :wink:

Hi!
90% fingers, 8% SG, and 2% Amp and Cabinet! But the 2% got to be a Marshall! And the 8% gotta be a good SG with a PAF Style Pickup.

Listen to that "Live in Donington" CD! That?s the hell of a ****** sound! I know that Angus also?s been plying Mesa Boogie for a short while (a guy I know was Tourmanager once on a german tour - he?s guitar player himself) , and that sound on that CD (and DVD) could (should) be that Boogie "mistake"! It?s a way differnet sound I?m used to!

good on ya, "ACY"

P.S.: Love the Angels!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, his sound on the Razor's Edge tour was way more metallic & hard-edged & strangled than usual. Coulda been his Mesa period. Sounds to me like he was using stock SG Standards with those hot'n'crappy 490 pickups & 300k pots.
I know this ain't a drum forum, but as any connaisseur will tell you, the secret ingredient of AC/DC is a little something called Phil Rudd. When they had baldybonce outta Manfred Mann they sounded more like a generic heavy rock outfit. Baldy hit harder than Phil, but he didn't have the crucial swing factor.
Ps- I love the Angels too, and the Tatts

go download some Chiorboys stuff...and Noiseworks...Cold Chisel...Chain....kevin borich...john swan(swannee)...all good guitar driven aussie stuff :p

If your still chasing early AC DC have a look at ballsamps.com go into amps then samples look for trem channel power chords...........Old AC DC or what....... :D :D :D

Actually...the rythym guitarist in my band has just bought a Peavey ValveKing.
I gave it a run last night....VERY nice.
You need a tube screamer or a modeller(like my ZOOM) on the clean channel to crunch it up.
That leaves the lead channel for a huge solo boost.
It has that old school crunch.

Latest posts

Back