Edwards Les Paul J. Page model Pickup question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajaxlargo

Reaction score
I have an Edwards LP Jimmy Page relic guitar, i think it is model E-LP 125LTS/RE. Anyway, i'm pleased with the guitar and its stock SD pickups, the guitar has a very nice and authentic tone. But sometimes i wonder if it could be better, if the tone could have more woodiness and 'quack'... since i have heard so much about other pickups (Antiquities, Lollar etc.), i was just wondering....

Has anyone here owning this model (or other similarly equipped Edwards LP's) changed the pickups in their guitar? If so, what pickups did you change to, and can you describe the difference in tone?

Also, if you also have the Page model with Super Circuit, was changing pickups more difficult and how?

Thanks in advance to all!

I've got the Page model with the super circuit pots and I'm totally happy with the stock pickups with the super circuit coil splitting electronics and I'm able to make that thing absolutely honk (think T Bone Walker, Angus Young and dare I say Jimmy Page). Do you play it clean or do you split the coils? What kind of amp are you playing thru - that also has alot to do with your tone.

Me, I wouldn't change a thing on mine - but that's me. It has more versatility in terms of different tones it can produce than any other guitar I own.

I agree with Marcus: the Edwards 'Page' (mine too has the super circuit) sounds excellent as is. Tone also has to do, again as Marcus states, with your amp setup and variety of other factors (your playing skills, effects used or not, ...).

One thing is an absolute must with this guitar (and IMO, all guitars): placing a .001 ?f capacitor between the volume and tone controls. This allows the tone to remain constant as you roll back the volume knob(s): no high-end loss! All my guitars feature this mod (Fenders, Gibsons, Epis, Tokais...) and it makes a MAJOR improvement in tone (ie, when vol. is rolled back). A very simple mod (though i have my tech do it) and should you not like it (and i think you would) it is easily reversable. This mod barely affects (if at all) the switched tones of the Edwards, and if your volume is full-on, there is NO difference in tone from the pre-cap tone.

I find the Seymour Duncan PUPs excellent and i get GREAT tone out of them thru my amps (and fingers!). But yeah, tone is subjective and maybe these just aren't your cup o' tea. I just wouldn't see how pro PUPs like these could be improved upon that much.

Good luck, Ajax.

James

Hi,

if you really want what you've described you have to turn to the '50s wiring ... but that means that you'll loose your Super Circuit ...

I love the '50s wiring - others don't !!

What do you think ??

Roger

Hi,

if you really want what you've described you have to turn to the '50s wiring ... but that means that you'll loose your Super Circuit ...

I love the '50s wiring - others don't !!
I've got this with Lollars, Jim Wagner and German Kloppmanns - it depends on the wiring - totally !!!
Try at first this wiring with your pups and then - we talk further ...

Don't let you lead to some Pup-winders - try it !!

What do you think ??

Roger

Sorry - first post seems to be a fault !!

He's right about the 50s wiring & the cap upgrade. I did both on a G****n LP Standard w/ Duncan 59s & it sounded incredible. Still sold it though :wink:

Latest posts

Back