How many of you replaced Pickups ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickup change

• Did not replace pickups, I am already a happy camper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replaced pickup, I am happy with new sound

• Replaced pickup, I am not hapy with the new sound

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Web Surf said:
Thanks to everybody, I am learning a lot here

A) I suppose Tokai LP's need "regular size" pickups and not "F sized" pickups

Yes.

Web Surf said:
B) Right now my Tokai PAFs and the rest of the hardware is gold. Which replacement 4 conductor pickups are also available in gold covered boxes.

Just about all of them, but they'll be more expensive.

I replaced the pups in my 83 LS80 (one was original, the other a Duncan custom as received) with a 57 Classic and custom wound Lindy Fralin. I love the Fralin. I think it is my single favorite pup. I like the Classic but it doesn't always balance well with the Fralin. Very amp (and even tube) specific.

I kept my 82 LS100 stock with the DiMarzios it came with. They're OK. On the underwound PAF side of the spectrum. I've been playing this guitat quite a bit lately and they definitely do the job. I plan to maintain this guitar stock.

My guitar is a Greco EG59-100 not Tokai but I did indeed change the bridge pickup to a Bare Knuckle "Nailbomb" and the difference is astounding. Very satisfied.

ES-120

Changed to Duncan Antiquity with new CTS pots and VitaminQ's.
(TP bridge and Alu Tailpiece). Hard to justify the cost because it was a killer guitar to start with my YES, it's better sounding.

Changed my PAF MK2's in the LS70F for SD's and then put the Gotoh's back in, they were potted and are just right for classic rock. My Tokai ATE55 has a set of Rio Grandes I got cheap on Ebay.

I havent changed anything yet but I'm thinking of something else in the treble position of my '79 Reborn. Any opinion's on Gibson "Burstbuckers" v '57 Classics? Or anything else for that matter - I want to go vintage, with tone over power.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hey Mike!
Ever heard of German H?ussel Pickups? IMHO way better than Gibson pickups! If you want to, have a look at my hp, there are also soundfiles of these pickups! Could be interesting for you!
good on ya, "ACY"

I've heard of 'em but not heard them directly.

This direct translation sounds interesting though, and I quote: - "the AGL recommendation for "pig-good" Vintage clay/tone:"

Can't argue with that. I'll check the soundfiles. Anybody else got any Haussell's out there on PlanetTokai?

Cheers, ACY.

Mike.

spikeymikey said:
Anybody else got any Haussell's out there on PlanetTokai?

Hi Mike,

yes, me. I got the combination of H?ussel VinA2 in neck position
and H?ussel Angus in bridge position on my Tokai LS150, my
LS85F, also on my Edwards LTC90 and my Epi Elitist Std+.

Sounds killer. 8)

Andi

"Pig good sound!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers, "ACY"

My ES120 now has Lollar Imperials, and there is a big difference. They're billed as having a full frequency range and that's exactly what they have. At first I thought they were a little bright, but then I realised how much extended bass they put out as well. Great pickups.

Also rewired and added Tonepros bridge and tail.

I'd now back this semi against just about any other.

had a goldstar.....one of four and I aquired!!! some vintage 1964 start pickups( don't ask.....kind of like a rescue mission...this strat was a hire and being abused!) anyway I put them in my goldstar and it made such a difference. The guitar felt complete

In saying that though I recently bought another goldstar and it had V stamped pick ups and they rock.....the neck sound is so thick and full..they rival the 1964's

My ES120 now has Lollar Imperials, and there is a big difference

spangled99

Congrats to the Lollars ... I've got them too - great sound !!

... I'd like to know if you guys also made the experience I've made ... ??

You will like the tone for a while, then you read a review of a different pup ... and there is GAS again - you wonder if the tone could be better than the one you have already ... a closed loop ??? :wink: :-?

Roger

Hi Roger!
No, I don?t have these GAS attacks. As I found my sound, there is no need in spending money in other well promoted products. If you got a concrete imagination about your sound, and you found the gear that brings you exactly that sound, you reached the point! But that also means that you got to have that point clearly in your mind! The only thing you have to do then is "searching till you find it!"

As you say: "You will like the tone for a while, then you read a review of a different pup ............" - that means to me that you are nor sure about what you are really searching for.

nice weekend, "ACY"

Hi ACY,
The clips sound interesting - the HB Classic sounds very good. Are they installed in a Les Paul for the clip and what is the Marshall 2203 that it's all running through as that's an important factor. I'll have to check on the Marshall site. How much would the Bridge unit cost?
Must check out Lollars too.

Thank's fella's.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike!
Here?s some more clips (quick & dirty - that means: do not care about the playing) I made for "eresseraca".

It?s always both pickups in one clip.

That means:

Classic Bridge A2, Classic Neck A3

?62 Bridge A2, ?62 Neck A3

Perl Bridge A2, Vin N (eck) A2

It is all Tokais LS85F (LS80F) with Alu STP, 500k CTS, braided wiring, 59 wiring, same strings, etc...............! Mic is a Shure SM57 on a greenback.

Here are the clips: (st means Diezel Einstein, and mr means Marshall!)

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_cl_st_01.mp3

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_62_st_01.mp3

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_perl_st_01.mp3

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_cl_mr_01.mp3

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_62_mr_01.mp3

http://www.acys-lounge.de/soundfiles/agl_sf_qd_perl_mr_01.mp3

So have fun, and also please let me know what you think about that way of comparing pickups!

The 2203 ist that famous Master Volume Marshall very very popular since middle / end 70?s. First as JMP version, later on as JCM800?s!

I?m getting new STP?s in about two weeks, then I?ll let you know!
good on ya, "ACY"

I replaced the stock pickups in my LS65 with Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90s. Fantastic sound. Plenty of bite but never harsh, and bags of grunt without getting woolly. The middle setting is hum-cancelling. They are not wound that hot according to the spec sheet but still push the front end of the amp pretty hard for great natural break-up. Highly recommended.
Thomann sell them for about ?58 each which is a hell of a deal.
Oh yeah, the amp is a Laney VC15 all tube combo wound up nice and high (you can keep your 100 watt heads with the volume on 2).

That's an interesting idea - are these 'bucker size P90's? Seeing as I reckon P90's and especially Juniors rool, this could be a great variatio as I have two 'Paul's with humbucker's.

Yeah, thay are humbucker size, and they come in nickel or gold covers. Also worth looking into are the Mississippe Queen 'bucker sized P90s made by BareKnuckle. I've not used them but my experience with all other BK pickups has been really good. A bit pricier though.
Another thing worth considering is using the Phat Cat neck unit and your choice of bridge humbucker, which is the same set up as on a lot of Duesenberg guitars, and they sound great. Loads of crunch from the bridge and that P90 sound at the neck. Wonderful!
I might drop a Pearly Gates in the bridge on mine just to see how it sounds with the PC at the neck. AAAHHH.........too many choices.
I think I'll have to get another Love Rock to continue my experiments.

Actually, if you want to know what it sounds like with the Phat Cats, go to www.myspace.com/shaveruk and click on the song Wanted. There is cleanish, crunch and lead sounds, and I use all 3 pickup settings at various points in the song, all done off the volume control. The amp was a Fender Blues Junior wound flat out with no FX. The production is average but it's pretty close to my live sound.
Actually all the songs on there were done with this guitar, only it had humbuckers in it for the track Genius From Heaven.

Latest posts

Back