Choose between these two:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
You play small gigs and need a new amp set up.

Do you get:

A. A Marshall AVT 275? (?339)

B. A Fender Blues Junior and a Korg AX1000G? (?450)

Ok, so I'm considering both set ups. By all accounts the 15watts from the BJ is ok and I'm swaying towards it along with the (apparently) excellent AX1000. Then again the AVT275 is loud and versatile and it's a 2X12.

I need to upgrade from my transistory sounding Marshall AVT50. My friend's AVT100 blows it to bits in terms of tone. After playing my other buddy's LS75 thru it today and him saying that it sounds better thru his Marshall 80 watt Valvestate I've decided that it's time to get rid.

Help! My tone is crap!

Hi Deadman,

... no experience in Marshalls - I must confess, because I don't like them ... :x

If you like the Marshalls, it's very difficult to convert to Fenders, and vice versa ...

I love the Fender sounds and I own two, the 4x10 BDV and my DRRI ... :wink:

But I had to change the speaker on my DRRI and the tubes to get that sound I was expecting from a 'blackface amp' ....

Now it provides that 'sweet' sound I was looking for. I could imagine that the Blues J could reach it, if you're ready to change some basicals ...

So - you have to choose - but it's your turn ...

Roger

Cheers Roger.

I used to have a Red knob Twin and loved it but it was too **** heavy, so I know the Fender sound. The BJ sounds like fun.

I'm considering a Peavey Classic 30 too, btw. I hear good things about them constantly.

Everywhere in the German forums I read about the Peavey 30/50 classics ...

Never tried one - but there must be some truth concerning tone and handling ... are they good in price ???

Roger

That's the one for Europe I could dig ....

http://cgi.ebay.de/PEAVEY-DELTA-BLUES-30-WATT-ALL-TUBE-COMBO_W0QQitemZ300026653784QQihZ020QQcategoryZ46658QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

... don't know if it would fit ... :-?

Roger

Deadman said:
...play small gigs and need a new amp set-up.

Help! My tone is crap!

Well, not really knowing what YOU mean by small gigs, and since you mentioned the Peavey Cl. 30, i would offer some other possibilities:

Peavey Delta Blues (15" speaker): same price as the 30 but a LOT more range of tone. A LOT!
Fender Deluxe Reverb RI: smokin' amp which will allow you to play, as the above Delta Blues, just about any gig.

You can get good deals new if you have a rapport with a cool salesperson, or these can be had at nice used prices. I'd take more care on a used PV Delta because i hear that they aren't as sturdy as one might hope (though still a killer amp).

Personally, i wouldn't use a PV Classic 30 as my main stage amp as i don't feel it has great tone. A friend has one and i am just not that impressed. And yeah, for an amp to be gig-worthy, it MUST have great tone to its owner. But hey, to each his own and the 30 might just be your cup 'o tea!

Good luck, man.

James

Thanks to both of you for some excellent input.

Oh. There's one more to consider:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/reviews/equipment-reviews/laney-vc30-210.htm

This thing kicks ***. Apparently. :D

Get the Fender Blues Junior Limited Edition tweed.......not the relic.

The limited edition has an upgraded Birch cabinet and an Italian made Jensen speaker. Sounds incredible.....I got rid of my American made early issue black tolex Blues Junior after I got this one.....simply no comparison.

I don't think they (Limited Editions) are in production any more so you'll have to look for one. I've seen them on eBay every once in awhile.

I use mine clean (no pedals) in most gig settings without any problem. It'll get as snarly as you want without being muddy. I've played Strats, Les Pauls and hollow bodies through it with great results on each type......if you want pictures of it inside and out, let me know....

I do like the Peavey Delta Blues 15" but what about this.

http://tinyurl.com/h6zwu

It seems cheap to me, Fender 4x10 for ?429.

Says Fender Blues Jr Tweed LE, but the info is about Hot Rod Deville.

It does say Blues Junior.....but it is a reissue Blues DeVille 4x10 with the features of the Hot Rod Deville (an additional "more drive" channel instead of one drive channel only found on the original). The original also came in a 2x12 model that the Hot Rods were fashioned after. Then they discontinued the Blues Deville. The 4x10 model is a much nicer sounding and less harsh amp than the 2x12 - pumping 60 watts through four speakers instead of two makes a huge difference.

I own one of the orginal 1993 Blues Devilles that this one is a reissue of. Mine is basically a 59 Bassman with a drive channel and master volume.
I think I paid $599 USD for mine brand new back then - so the price of the reissue (approx $770 USD) seems high to me but adjusting for inflation, seems okay. I've been offered $1000 for mine but I'm not selling. I use it in place of my 66 Super Reverb in large rooms because after having a drunk dancer at a gig fall into the stage and knock me and the Super into the drum kit, she's been retired.

But keep your eyes open for the Limited Edition Blues Junior...... a highly versatile and great amp. You'd be surprise how much balls this little 15 watter has.

Marcus

Some awesome advice there guys thanks.
That Blues Deville is cheap! Anyway. Today i went out and tried a bunch of amps.
A Blues Junior. A Peavey Classic 30. A Laney VC30 210 and a VC30 212.

The Laney VC30 212 has to be the one. The clean reminds me of my old Fender Twin but it dirties up easier. If you've played a Twin then you know what I mean about the clean. Just beautiful. God it's good (and cheap).
It retails at ?549 but I've got it for ?379. Just need some decent effects now. I'm looking at a Digitech Bad Monkey (overdrive) and some sort of compressor maybe? I want to get a John Frusciante sound out of my Strat (think Zephyr song, etc.) Any more suggestions?

Yep!

Here are both compressor and TS-clone OD in one pedal: Visual Sound Route 66
http://www.musamaailma.fi/bandikamat/tuotteet/154/256/rt_66.phtml

I play smallish venues and I use a Marshall MGDFX50 through a Celestion 4x12 quad.
I use the clean channel running a Zoom G2 through the clean channel using the peavey 5150 modeling and use the effects channel of the amp with a little chorus and delay for solos as this boosts the volume heaps.
I've been searching for a decent tone for the past 2 years(since I sold my laney linebacker head) and this is working very well for me...quite happy with it. 8)

That Route 66 looks awesome, joukov (if a little pricey).

Ozeshin I've ordered a Digitech Bad Monkey for delay/OD and a Electo-Harmonix Small Clone for Chorus.

Well. Decided the 212 was too big for me so I've opted for the 'poor man's AC30': The VC30 210 with twin Jensens. Once I've sold my AVT50 I'll get myself another 'nice' pedal too. Dunno what yet though...anyone wanna recommend a great pedal for me other than the type I've already ordered? I've got a great wah wah too so I don't need one of those.

I should get about ?80-?100 for the Marshall so what do you reckon would complete my pedal board?

You mentioned you may be in the market for a good compressor. The good old Tokai TCO-1 & TCO-2 come around on ebay quite often. They're good value and sound much warmer than the current Boss CS-3 model. Another good one is the Maxon CP-101 which is very silent & subtle but quite a bit pricier. The MXR Dyna Comp is ok but noisy.
Consider a decent ANALOG delay too, preferably an older one, eg Ibanez/Maxon AD-80 or Boss DM-2/DM-3. They're a bit of an investment, but a good one as their value is creeping ever upwards, so you could turn a decent profit if you decided to sell it on in a year or two. You probably won't though, 'cos they sound divine!
BTW, a very good all-purpose overdrive is the Boss OD-3. It could be a little warmer, but it's possibly the only OD pedal that doesn't either cut your bass or boost your mids. It stays very true to the sound of your amp and is very powerful volume-wise too. I've never tried the Bad Monkey though, so maybe it's just as good.
Happy experimenting!

Back