Can anyone tell me if this is genuine or fake?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ochay - are you saying it's real or not?

I think it's fairly well established through this website and the catalogues that ST's lower than ST50 did not have the same pick-ups or hardware and the example we are looking at here would seem to be a typical ST-40

I'll go for genuine Tokai based on the information available.

Tony

Tony o'Riordan,
Its a real body/neck if the pics are like pics that chrisheyes posted-

The pics above (chrisheyes) are an excellent reference-as long as the neck butt and body numbers match and she has final prospect string saddles-she's almost forsure original- the real tremolo blocks> DO NOT have made in Japan either !

As for the ST 40's I NEVER have seen these untill the Japs started a few years ago- I did buy one from UK once that had the bar magnets - but it also had a dash in between the numbers-so as far as I'm conserned thats a late 80's early ninties Tokai sold to UK or thereabouts-
The one's that have been showing up in Japan/UK that dont have the Klusen style tuners- I wouldn't touch !! The spacing of the holes doesn't allow you to just replace with Klusen tuners.

Just my opinion though- I got one Goldstar from Japan that Had Vll stamped on the bottom of the p-ups even the Vll stamp was different than all the others I have seen--

The TST/AST-40's first showed up in 1985, when I bought my second Tokai in 1985 (white TST-50 Goldstar) I also looked at the TST-40 but the difference in price was so small I bought the TST-50. Btw, the TST/AST-40 and MAT-450 series tremolos are stamped "made in japan" at the bottom of the non removable sustain block. You'll find the TST-40 and AST-40 here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai859.jpg

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p3.jpg

Mike

i think the reason about mij stickers on the back of mij and model numbers
in the early years of toks were simply removed the same as you would remove a price sticker on anything that you bought. the same goes for the tok logos (STATUS) IN THE EARLY YEARS hands up who wanted a mia fender
or a mij tok. now its a different story as it is now becoming common knowladge just how good tokais really are .every one wants the jap tokais to be all original, and they are almost impossible to get in that condition, so as ive said before if it plays good and you like it why worry
and most toks can still be bought quite reassonably thats all imo and every one has that so feel free to chastise me

Latest posts

Back