2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I talked with Mike of Mike's Music today. The information on the guitars page and in the message board is incorrect and for that I appologize. Mike is sending me detailed information concerning these guitars but here is a short summary.

Mike ordered the 2001's specifically designed for him from Tokai. They are made to the same specs as the Japanese models but they are built in Korea. Which gets you a great guitar for less money. Mike is in no way funding the site or compensating me I just want to make sure the correct facts are being portrayed on this site.

Look for new information concerning the 2001 models on the site this evening.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

One Item you failed to mention is that the neck has a scarf joint. It does not have a one piece Mahogony neck like the Japanese models. The guitar does play nicely though. Having asked before bidding if Japanese or Korean, and replying "Japanese model" seems alittle dishonest. I wouldn't have bid on it if I had known this info.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'toneshun']

Ok, now what's going on with Joe's Vintage? He has these same '59 Love Rock LE's.(see his web site on links page) Now he is selling these guitars as handmade in Japan. Looks the same as mine from Mike's including screened truss rod cover. Wow, very interesting...I guess we haven't heard from the Active Music rep yet either about these guitars, just Ned's conversation with Mike.... And concerning the information on this site, it seems all correct to me. All the info that everyone seemed to know concerning my question on the manufacture location of the guitar sold to me by Mike's Music, whether it was a Japanese or Korean guitar was all very correct, thank you to all. I think it is very clear when the question is asked if a guitar is Japanese or Korean every knowledgable guitar player/collector/purchaser would know that the question pertains to where the guitar was manufactured. It is either made in Japan or Korea. There is no gray area. There is no "well it's a Japanese model......made in Korea?" Who's trying to get over here. It's a sad situation when when people take advantage of our passions.

Anyone of you guys want to buy a Japanese "model" Tokai Love Rock 2001 LE? Will include new Gibson case. make offer.

Oh yeah , forgot to mention...Japanese "model" ...made in Korea....

[Anonymously Posted by: 'johnmatthews']

ABOUT The Limeted editions .....

HOG WASH ......

It is my understanding that these Korea built guitars are distributed by Active to Mike's and from there they magically become Limeted editions ? .... Like changing the truss rod cover makes any difference between a so called limited edition or just a regular one. Don't be fooled !

I know who posted the above message and lets just say it is a "business" problem that he has. The 2001's are limited and built to Japanese specifications in terms of the wood and serial numbers as well as pickup selection and Knob pointers. Don't be "fooled" by the disgruntled "anonymous" message sender above.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'rekku']

That's ********. Korean made is Korean made. Period. The hardware is cheaper, the woods are cheaper the finish is Poly - hell it's no different than an Epiphone. And I have three of those and I love them. But to pass them off as anything butwhat they are is complete crap. Say what you will to defend Mike's Music, but he's a crook.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'GuitNut']

Yeah, He (Mike) responded to my asking if it was Japanese or Korean before I bid as " a Japanese model". What would you think that would mean? A "Japanese" guitar right? Wrong ... He's ripping lots of people off. I got an e-mail from a guy in Ireland who Mike did the same thing to.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'luis']

OK guys, Here's the REAL and Complete story.
Mel Kaufman (owner of Active Musical Products),
has his own line of guitars under the "Dillion" brand name.
Some time ago while in Korea, he went to the factory that builds some of his Dillion guitars for him.While he was there, he noticed that Tokai's were being built at that factory. This made him quite curious because like the rest of north America, he thought that Tokai was out of business.
He asked the factory president about the guitars, and he was informed that Tokai Gakki was in fact still around.
When he got back to Canada, he contacted Tokai and arranged to be the Canadian Tokai distributor.
Since that time, Active musical has been actively involved with the Tokai production in Korea.
With Tokai's blessing, he had that factory change several models, making them all have set necks.
The first few shipments caught fire in the USA and Canada really fast with the help of Ebay.
The demand grew, so Mr. Kaufman stepped up production and actually worked directly with the Korean factory to build Tokai guitars. (with Tokai's permission, of course.)
Active musical has the flexibility to offer it's dealers virtually ANY model guitar ANY way they want, WITH the Tokai name on the headstock. (les paul, SG, Mosrite, PRS, Rickenbacker, etc.)
Please note that although these guitars are the brainchild of Mel Kaufman and not actually made by Tokai directly, They are in fact totally authorized by Tokai Gakki in Japan. Hence making the guitars special and limited in the sense that they are made exclusively for the Canadian market.Tokai is quite pleased with the input and creative ideas of Mr. Kaufman, because sales have increased dramatically because of his participation in the production. Tokai's are no longer a well kept secret. They are now high demand mainstream instruments.
As far as Mike's limited editions, contrary to what Mike says, they are NOT true Japan spec models.
They share the same wood combinations that the Japan models are made with, but the design specs are still the Korean specs. (scarf joint, 2 piece neck heel, multiple piece body, dyed fretboard, plastic inlays, poly finish, Korean bridge, chrome hardware not nickel, and the serial numbers are the same on each guitar)
Please keep in mind that the factory that actually builds these guitars also builds all of the Korean made BC Rich guitars and basses, so the quality and setup is excellent.
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH KOREAN GUITARS!

Well, I think that's it. If I've left anything out, I'll be back to post it when I remember it.
If anyone has conflicting information, please let me know. I want this information to be totally accurate and correct.

All I understand is that the Guitars Mike's is selling on E-Bay are the same as any music store in Canada has on it's shelves. So the fact that it's only Mike's guitars that have that ( I assume ) locally printed tag claiming it's a rare limited edition is nonsense. Go buy a Tokai guitar from another Canadian guitar store and compare!

Mike's an idiot who prints garbage posing as knowledge... and he's fooled a bunch of other idiots who don't know a good guitar from firewood. They got what they deserved, I guess. Too dumb to just buy an Epi LP from Musician's Friend or what?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Griff']

I just unplugged my Tokai Love Rock from my Marshall after an evening of blasting away. This guitar sounds NICE & has been a lot of fun over the last few weeks & is still yet unmodified. I also purchased this instrument from Mike & he told me the whole Japan/Korea story in advance of my purchase; in his defense. I have a Duncan '59 & Rio Grande BBQ on order along with other parts I intend to install. I have NO REGRETS over this purchase. I have been building Strats for years & I can get a sound out of any hunk of wood so **** YOU DUDE!!!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

WOW, Barry...
It's funny, Mike didn't share the Japan/ Korea story in advance with a bunch of other people... why you..DUDE!!!
That Mike is bogus. Ned should put that "Use with caution" tag back on his link...He is a crook!!!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Don']

Please allow me to tone down my earlier post. Guitars should be about having FUN & not the bad vibes in our recent posts. I "haggled" with Mike in the New York City manner, like I learned from my father.I don't feel ripped off in any way & I don't appreciate being called an idiot because I bought a Korean Tokai. In fact he might sell quite a few more when I put my pickups & circuitry on mine & people SEE & HEAR it after I'm finished with it. I hope that everyone enjoys their Tokais as much as I do; no matter where they come from.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

Korean Love Rocks are poly and chrome !
I thought the Japanese ones were as well
Any comments on tis ?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'barry']

I have both Korean and Japanese Tokais. Personally I like the Korean ones better. I agree with Barry. This site should be about having fun and about discussing GOOD things about Tokais. I have a feeling some Gibson people have been writing to this message board.

QUESTION NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER !!!

WHAT .... BESIDES THE PRINTED TAG, TRUSS ROD COVER, ETC. MAKES MIKE's Guitars Limited Editions ???

Mike's claims the main difference is the neck and body are made out of Mahogany but other stores in Ontario Canada carry the Korean guitars made from the same woods. Only difference is Mike's is calling them LE's while the other store does not.

I challange everyone on this list to prove there is any real difference and answer the above question.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

Imagine my horror when I removed the lead pickup from my Love Rock & it had EPIPHONE STAMPED ON THE BASE PLATE!!!!! WTF IS UP WITH THAT???

Bingo! Barry hit the Jackpot. Gibson is actually making the Tokai Love Rocks in a joint venture with Tokai Gakki Japan. This is why we aren't seeing any lawsuits as of late.

Open up your Tokais for yourself and see that most pickups are stamped either PAF Gibson or Epiphone.

Pick up a Tokai before they're gone.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'kent']

Hmm... Well since Samick makes about 50% of all guitars in the world today I'm not surprised.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry NYC']

Where are the pickups in the Japanese Love Rocks made ?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'don keevney']

Latest posts

Back