Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, How much is a good original Greco 1980 Super Real worth in ??s ive got my eye on one. PLEASE 8)

Hi all, How much is a good original Greco 1980 Super Real worth in ??s ive got my eye on one. PLEASE 8)

depends on the model No...EGF? ie a standard, or an EG ie a custom..and for either of these it completely depends on the model number, which can be determined , either by a sticker on the back, or by the pickups..the superreals go from the quite ordinary EGF-450 to the quite extraordinary EGF-1800 and everything in between...so...more info please and pics if you have them...

Hi villager.My fingers hurt just been on that LS120 i got off you for 3 hours,cant put it down,had to coz my setup is in my lads bedroom and he wanted to go to bed KIDS LOLOLOL.
The Super Real is a 1981 EGF 1000 with the sticker(black & silver) on the back of the headstock

I'd charge ?850 for that in excellent condition, with original di marzio's in her, and I'd also guarantee that you could have a full refund if you didn't like it......

Well her she is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280024665940&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

8)

well assuming you get it for ?577(opening bid)..plus ?70 shipping is ?640, then 23% tax and duty and parcelforces ?13.50 =?790 odd, all in...I think the condition on that one is pretty average overall and the headstock has taken quite a bashing..if there are any major problems then shipping back to hawaii is not really an option, as he says all sales are final..and anyway, it would cost you about 110 quid from the UK..

Its not a 1 piece back...its not a brazillian board, and no mention of whether the PU's are original Di'marzio's ...so I would assume that they are not...

Do you think this could be a higher model thanEG59-100? It's a 10980's model with zdry pups. Any comments?

3 things,

with DRY z its an EG-59 100 or higher, if it has fret edge binding its a higher model than a 100, if its a solid top its a higher model than a 100, are there any markings in any of the cavities?

Hi Villager-Thank you for your response and sharing your knowledge.I have
learned a lot from your postings. appreciate it! Anyway, the guitar has no neck binding but has the Dry z's and I think a solid top. There was no writing inside the cavities-here's some pics

why do you think those are DRY Z's?

also does the centre seam on the top run inside the PU cavity in one continuous line..I think i can see in the PU cavity pic, that the place under where the top seam is, looks like a continuous grain on both sides..this indicates a laminate top..

I checked again and I'm glad(so Far) to see that the seam does not run into the pickup cavity. As for the ID on the pups, I'm not 100% positive,but I have a friend who is also quite knowledgeable when it comes to Grecos and he was pretty sure that they were Dry z's. The guitar has a distinct dry clean tone (hence the name Dry z
I suppose), not hot or biting. Very warm clean tone. What's your criteria for identifying Dry z's? Would like to get your opinion on this.-Thanks

solid tops have one seam, on top and then continuing through the PU cavity in one straight line ......cos its one join..yours is a laminate top then cos the seam only appears on the bookmatched top and does not continue into the PU cavity...

DRY Z have 6 numbers in black stamped ink, followed by the letter Z..

after 1982 they were renamed DRY with a DRY 1982 sticker on the bottom...

I will post pics tomorrow...

Looks like I was wrong on both counts. Oh well. The guitar still plays and sounds killer though. What kind of pups do you think they are? I like the sound of these over the double tricks that are in my '82 Greco LP custom.
(the one on an earlier post with the Super Real truss cover.) What model then do you think this is?

well its tricky..it could be a nicly flamed EG59-85, would have had double trick PU, but the sticker is gone....

or it could be an EG59-100 ..with DRY 1982 PU's ..again ..the sticker is gone so no way of telling..those are Greco PU's ..but DRY 1982, or Double Trick, or even Screamin, without the sticker its impossible to say for sure...

the only thing I can say for sure is its a 1990 guitar...from the 0 of the ser no ...the really high end guitars from that era had seymour Duncan fitted as stock..so its not above an EG59-100..

very hard to ID mint collection, as the specs changed a lot from 83-90, and really its only by the PU stickers that you can say for sure..with the really high end ones , EG59-150/180, and EG58-160, thats easy cos they have fret binding ..no other mint collection does..but lower models...very hard to tell betwen EG59-85/100/120 with no PU sticker...

hope that helps!!!!!!

Greco DRY Z from Superreal EGF-1200 and above, 1980-81.

dry003.jpg

Greco DRY 1982 from Mint collection EG59-100 and above...1982 onward.

dry008.jpg

Thank you for the pics Villager-What's your best GUESS looking at my pups and the ones in your photo? Would appreciate comments from anyone else out there. I know this could be difficult and maybe impossible,but can you describe the characteristic sounds of dry,double trick,and screamin? Are they somewhat easy to discern on sound alone?

Here's my hybrid Greco mint collection with suoer real truss cover-vintage tuners-has fret edge binding.

Latest posts

Back