which replacement humbuckers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declan

Reaction score
For any of you guys upgrading the pickups in your tokais, what did you upgrade to and what sort of sound did you get

I love my Kloppmanns in my Edwards ... 8)

I love my Dimarzios in my LS 150 ... 8)

I love my Lindy Fralin Blues Special in my Tele ... 8)

... and I'm a supporter of Jason Lollar, who made the best Tele pups I've ever tried out!! :p

... but for those who are still irresolute ...

Try this and enjoy: :lol:
http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/paf.htm

Sincerely :wink:
Roger

So - you can follow my decision by listening!
BTW - there are also the Wagners Roe mentioned in his 320-thread !

thanks folks, heard a lot about the bare knuckles, which dimarzios roger??

so how do these compare to the stock PUPS, more agressive??? sweeter, more high mid low fat or just a big stack of magic you cant put into words :lol:

For me, if you're looking for an accurate vintage sound, Seth Lover's (Seymour Duncan) do the trick. Nicely balanced, not too shrill or muddy, not too hot.....Seth Lover was the gent working on the winding bench when the 57 PAF was born.

I changed all of them to Haeussel Pickups. The stock pickups are not bad, but there is "much more" to get with better pickups!

What did I get?

Mor dynamics, more "really nice" treble, sweeter tone, (depending on model used) , more "open" sound, graez attack, way better neck pickups with great balanced bass (never getting muddy) and treble...............................

.....................a much better sounding guitar than before!

"ACY"

The style of music you play is probably the most important thing to consider when replacing pickups. All the units mentioned so far will sound great, it's just a case of whether they'll sound great FOR YOU.
I used to have a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge position of my MIJ Love Rock, with a SD Jazz in the neck. Great sound with a flat out Fender tube amp. But I replaced them with some SD Phat Cat p90s, and now it sounds even better, but I've always been a sucker for P90s, other people might prefer a fatter humbucker sound.
All the people who mentioned Bareknuckle pickups are on to something though, they are great. It might be worth visiting their site (or ring 'em, they are really friendly and helpful) as they outline the differences between their pickups and that should help you make an informed choice.

thanks folks, heard a lot about the bare knuckles, which dimarzios roger??

so how do these compare to the stock PUPS, more agressive??? sweeter, more high mid low fat or just a big stack of magic you cant put into words

declan,

... should have read it better before posting ... :oops:

So, the Dimarzios on my Tokai are STOCK !!! The Super-distortion models, I guess (don't know the name) ... very fat, wide range of mids, pronounced hights with nice overtones, sweet sounding at the neck position, compresses on higher volumes but I like it, more aggressive than my Kloppmanns.
There is a difference in tone when playing different amps - I prefer to play it with my BDV rather than my DRRI. This amp is better with the Teles ... :wink:

Roger

peter florence, bareknuckle, jim wagner, rolphs, , fralins, seth lovers....in that order for me..but tim white makes the best LP PU these days..18 month waiting list tho....greco DRY Z from 1980 to early 1982 beat them all.....in my opinion.....

I'm another habitual pickup swapper :oops:

I've got a fair few Bare Knuckle Pickup Sets and never been disappointed. There is a huge selection of choice. There is an excellent forum to help you make a selection. I've had pickups rewound by Tim @ BKP's for a dead Jap SRV Strat, he certainly knows his stuff.

I've also recently had a humbucker made fror me by www.leosounds.de. I sent him a Bare Knuckle Mule Neck Pickup and he made and calibrated a bridge pickup to match it. Michael at Leosounds also does Pickup rewinds. I'm impresed with the results too.

Just a suggestion, but look into getting your current pickups rewound by hand. May be a cheaper option if the magnets in the existing pickups meet the requirements. Bare Knuckles use a verity AlNiCOII, III, IV, V and sometimes use ceramic magnets.

A humbucker re-wound by BKP's is ?64 including re-potting and new hook up wires, Leosound charges ?30 !!!

The persuit of Tone is on a long and tortuous path, enjoy your trip down it :wink:

chrisheyes said:
The persuit of Tone is on a long and tortuous path, enjoy your trip down it :wink:

Long ... yes, in fact I find that accepting that it is never ending early on in the quest then it is much less tortuous. thanks for the info and the links.

Think im going to need a pair of each... now where did I put the lottery ticket :D

has anyone ever tried winding/rewinding their own ???

Back