Got my new Edwards Les Paul today!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fender

Reaction score
Hey all,

I got my new Edwards LP-90LTS guitar in Vintage HoneyBurst, and I LOVE IT! I can't believe how nice it is. It arrived perfectly setup (for 9's, unfortunately) and IN TUNE all the way from Japan! The wood is so resonant. It just sings unplugged. The action is low and the frets are flawless. It plays like butter. The finish is gorgeous. This guitar is as good as any Gibson Les Paul I've ever played. Not sure of the weight yet, as I don't have a scale, but it feels pretty hefty and solid. It's noticably heavier than my alder USA Strat. Plugged in, it just screams and has sustain for weeks. After I restrung it with 11's it's even fatter and has even more sustain. The wood feels so alive, I love it. Harmonics just jump off the fretboard. This thing makes the Epiphone Les Pauls I tried look like an embarrassment. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I get a chance. I'm having a hard time putting this guitar down.

Here you go. The pics are crap quality as I had to squeeze them down for dialup, but you get the idea. One thing I've noticed, the top is carved a little differently from the Gibsons. It's seems a bit concave at the edges around the top of the body. The top's edge feels a little different on my picking arm. Subtle difference, but it's there. I didn't take any pics of the cavities, but mine has the long neck tenon and unshielded cavities. This guitar is great. I love it. I'm considering pulling the covers off the Seymour Duncan humbuckers (59' in the neck, JB in the bridge), as I like the open coil look. Anyway here's the pics:

DSC00283.jpg
DSC00284.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

Let me know what you think.

WOW !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wonderful looking guitar!! Congrats!! :wink:

Could you also provide some pics of the cavities without pups so that we are able to see the tenon and the wood??

Enjoy playing !! 8)

Roger

Glad to see it arrived in great shape (no real surprise though) and great to see that you're digging it. :) I don't know what the stock strings are, but at least on my Pagey they were actually quite nice and lasted for a loooong time. Definitely on the skinny side for me though so now I have DR 11's on it and it plays and sounds even better (plus they seemingly last forever too). Congrats!

Oh yeah, as far as the top carve goes it's modeled after a real 50's LP so it's dished out a little more than on regular LP models. I've seen pics of ESP's shop and they have several real 50's LP's including a real burst or two...plus a real korina V and/or Explorer. So from what I understand the measurements on their (ESP's) instruments are taken from the real deal so to be as close to the originals as possible. I haven't played a real 50's LP in a few years so I can't recall offhand how close it is, but knowing how Japanese people worship American culture & it's icons like the LP it wouldn't surprise me that they went to such lengths to get the details right. :D

Great looking Guitar !

tudor said:
WOW !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Could you also provide some pics of the cavities without pups so that we are able to see the tenon and the wood??
Roger

During my pickup change I did pictures of the neck pu cavity of my LP-85:
I guess the LP-90 will look the same:

Klaus

Lovely guitar......

Yeah, I noticed on mine that it felt sharper on the top edge where my picking arm rested on it - due to the more pronounced carving at the edges - doesn't bother me now but I sure noticed it first time I played it.

Thanks for the compliments.

I've played plenty on newer Gibson Les Pauls, but I've never played a real 59' Les Paul, so I didn't know if they were carved like that or not. It's a subtle difference and not a problem at all.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the cavities when I pull the pickup covers off.

mr_fender

Very nice. Who did you purchase this beauty from? I will be buy an Edwards in the near future and would like the name of a reliable dealer.

Thanks
msvbvm61

Thats a great looking guitar. Very impressive workmanship - not an ounce of filler outside the frfetboard inlays! Congrats :D

Hey all,

I pulled the covers off my new LP-90LTS and guess what I found... Zebra coil pickups. Looks like Edwards just uses the same zebra sh-1's and sh-4's as in their LP-85 series guitars and just adds the aged cover. This was quite a surprise and not really a bad one either. Also, removing the covers added a bit of presence to the tone as well. Very nice. Just a little extra sparkle on the clean tones and little extra cut on the drive tones. I love it.

Here's some pics of my pickup cavities. The grain patterns match quite well on this one, so it's hard to see in the photos. The maple top is about 1/3 flamed maple and 2/3 plain maple in thickness. The long neck tenon is hard to see too, but it extends about 2 cm into the pickup cavity.

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

This one came from http://www.guitar-baka.com
The site is all in Japanese, so I had a Japanese co-worker help me with the translations. Quite a bit more work, but they had a lower price of 85,000 yen (about $750 US) including shipping to me in the US.

the local Rock Inn in Sendai has some of the Duncan Edwards for 66,000 yen...and I bought mine used and got two for slightly less than you paid for yours...sorry. I`d buy another one too if I saw one. I`m hoping to find a used tele from that series as well.

That's pretty good. It's the shipping that kills me here in the US. Mine was 65,000 yen without shipping. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay any customs duties. If I ever travel to Japan, I'm coming back with a few of these.

Back