Idea for Japanese guitar website... need your help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

declan

Reaction score
I have had an idea running round my head for a few weeks, that I would like to run buy you guys.

This forum along with the registry is an absolute mine of information on Japanese guitar but there is a lack of organised information on the other brands such as Burny/Greco/Orville/Edwards etc.

I know that some of the dealers here have their own websites with some very good information on them but that still could be expanded on if useful content from posts on this form and others were formatted onto a website.

Im more than happy to put that website together and would really love if some of you guys on the forum wanted to become involved. Obviously the tokai forum & members involved would get full credit.

I have no intention for this to be anything other than an informational website and certiantly wouldnt want to step on the toes of anyone on this forum, my payoff would be working on a website that is something im actually interested in.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, can see any problems or otherwise, please reply/PM or whatever

Here are my ideas so far

Historical - Area for historical information on all the brands

Articles - From forum members on some of the interesting debates that happen on this site

Reviews - self explanatory

Tech Tips - Tips or how-to documents on things specific to the guitars we are interested in plus links and comments to the more generic tips on other websites that we have found useful.

Good idea. Perhaps it would make sense zu create a site for the "others" as part of this website or as a kind of "parner website"?

Thanks togps and theskywolf and to those who have pm'ed me with your support for this idea.

Please keep the ideas coming in, and I will post some info here on how this project might be approached in the next few days.

Sounds like a pretty cool concept. I could also help out with code if you needed it, depending on what you decide to code in that is. Also with graphics if you needed that too, though I am leaving the country in a couple of weeks so I can't do graphics after that but could probably still code.

Good luck with the site at any rate!

Thanks guys, I think the coding stage is a little way off yet, but i really appreciate your support. I want to try and get as much content together as possible in the first instance and post it to a simple test site so that it can be verified/corrected.

When we have the bulk of the content agreed I think thats the time for coding the navigation/layouts etc. Doing it the other way round always results in more work

I have registered japanaxe.com as a domain name, I can easily dump it and go with another one if you guys have any better ideas.

Snake or anyone with any graphic design skills, fancy having a go at a logo/web page header/colour scheme, if we have a few why not let the forum choose the best.

Skywolf I really see this as a partner site to the tokai registry, if it were part of the tokai registry that wouldnt be giving equal weighting to the "other brands", any formal links with tokai registry would be a decision for Ned.

(If you are reading this Ned there is a PM for you from a couple of days ago, I would really like to talk to you before this goes much further)

declan said:
I have registered japanaxe.com as a domain name, I can easily dump it and go with another one if you guys have any better ideas.

Great start. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Thanks again for the support folks,

thanks orvilleowner for the Orville information, one of the orville pages will be the first for upload and review.

I am hoping to have some of that info uploaded tonight

If anyone has anything they want to see included I have set up an email address that will be active throughout the design phase.

[email protected]

If you would like to receive regular updates during the design regardless of whether you have information to contribute, just send me an email to the adderss above with subscribe in the subject and i will include you in email updates.

The update emails will include links to uncompleted pages not yet available from the main site and your help reviewing them for accuracy would be much appreciated

Declan

I'm happy to supply pictures of my edwards guitars if required

Maybe when your writing things about different models you could ask forum members for pictures of said model, this could help people in the market for one of these by letting them get an idea of the features of the model, it's easy to read about things but some people like to see it for themselves.

Just a thought

Steve

thanks again guys,

....I find myself writing those words a lot recently,

I truly am humbled to see so many of you willing to devote your time and knowledge into this website, which wouldnt work otherwise

Scooba, I have nothing on Edwards yet so yes photos with specs and whatever relevant info you have on those guitars and i will immortalise them, and yes again to Duckmeister on the EG59.

The Orville pages on the site are the way i am hoping to represent each brand and the format outlined below for the MODEL EXAMPLES section is the "perfect world" scenario

1. one example of each model with specs and any other relevant info

2. each with a sample of about 5 photos taken at the same camera angle (e.g. see http://www.japanaxe.com/orvillep4.htm)

3. Some additional photo examples on the right column showing examples of fret binding, PUP cavity, pickups and anything else that might differentiate the models which i have forgot

4. images would be taken with a plain background, and of a resolution of two but preferably three megapixels.

If i am missing something here tell me as i think it probably makes sense to define some standards for the photographic content.

After saying all that, its more important to build up as many different models as possible before being rigid about the photos so if you have something not yet covered, dont hesitate just because the photos are not to that spec.

Marcus, whats your prefered area? All offerings of help gratefully received

i just wish i had better photos of some of the other Edwards guitars i've had...

I can help with E-SA-118/LT, E-LP-90LT Tobacco burst and E-SE-118/RE (John Frusciante Relic).

I have ordinary photos or E-LP-85SD in both Red brown (quilted top) and Honey burst (flame top) and E-SG-80SD in White.

Innadaze said:
declan said:
I have had an idea running round my head for a few weeks, that I would like to run buy you guys.
Sounds great! Count me in. I've got a few OBGs.....
Someone asked if those were all Orvilles. Actually, they're all 'Orville by Gibson' (OBGs). I've had both and my experience is that the Orvilles are nice guitars, but not in the same league as the OBGs.

Villager's got me beat by a New York City block but here's once around my living room floor:
rks OBGs 01
rks OBGs 02
rks OBGs 03
rks OBGs 04
rks OBGs 05
rks OBGs 06
rks OBGs 07

Latest posts

Back