LoveRock string height? action!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put in a new set of D'Addario XL 9-42's last night

Played about a bit with the bridge height

Fret Buzz gone !!!!

I'm amazed.

Action is amazing

I will have to write an "initial impressions" post soon, but right now I am just overwelhmed with the quality of this thing.

Also these strings increased the treble a bit, making the Humbucklers move a small step closer to the Single Coils on my Telecaster.

BTW, what are TOKAI's factory standard strings ?

Anyone try set of "8" strings on their TOKAI

BTW : My callouses begin pretty much at the nail and end 4-5mm away. except the pinkie that begins 3mm away from the nail and ends 3mm further away.

Web Surf said:
Anyone try set of "8" strings on their TOKAI

0.08 strings are for girls (or fat swedish shredders) :lol:

I would suggest 10-46, tuned to Eb, you have almost the same easy playing
feel as with 9-42 in standard tuning, but some more "spank" and bottom...

Andi

How about a nice set of 11's or even 12's, play it for about a month and by the time you switch back to 10's they will seem like 8's.... you will have strenghtened your hand and fattened your tone in the process.

down with girly strings on this forum.... booooooo !!!

I've played for 30 years, and have settled in on 9's. 8's just won't stay in tune with me touch, and I break them like crazy. Will use 10s once in a while in the studio, but am perfectly happy with 9s, and don't consider them "girly" in the least.

Remember that the more metal you have (via heavier strings), the more signal you push to the magnets of your pickups - which drastically affects your tone through the increased resonance through the guitar body and neck. Thin strings just don't have the juice - you are relying heavily upon the pickup volume to boost what the body can't produce. Why do you think acoustic strings are so heavy?

Further, the thicker the pick, the thicker the sound. Try using a 1mm pick compared to one of the thin jobs and listen to the difference in the sound. One of the secrets to Stevie Ray Vaughan's monster tone is that he used ridiculously heavy strings (13's if I recall) and really thick picks (1.50mm or more) and he picked with the rounded end instead of the pointy end.

I started out on 9's and gradually increased the gauge as my callouses developed. Also had to raise the action as the strings increased in order to get under the heavier strings during bends. I'm playing 11's on all of my guitars and using a 1.14mm pick - the difference in tone is amazing.

But it's all a matter of personal preference - play what's comfortable for you and if you like the sound, then that's your rig. :wink:

Oh, I won't dispute heavier strings produce a better sound. Simple science. I enjoy 9's though, and as I stated I will use 10's on occassion. If I don't enjoy the feel though, I don't care what it sounds like.

I do use a heavy pick however. Can't get going fast enough when using a thin plectrum.

When I stated I have played for 30 years, the vast majority of that time has been professionally, so people must like my tone. As a matter of fact, I don't recall the last time a soundman used any EQ on my channel. They see me come in with a Marshall, and grit thier teeth. After first set they are shaking my hand.

I actually maintain the player makes more difference than even the amp, and the amp matters more than the PUs, and the PUs more than the guitar.

Just my opinion. There is no absolute right or wrong here, just preferences.

Latest posts

Back