Pickup replacements?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ganzua said:
I don't want a too bright sound, I'm looking for a classic les paul sound like in Stones' "brown sugar", but sometimes I like to get heavy sounds like with ceramics.
Do you think I'll be happy with burstbuckers 1 & 2? :D

No, Burstbuckers are not waxed. Whenever you go heavy, they go crazy. Btw. I think Gibson PUs are overpriced. Have a look at Producers like Di Marzio or SD. Or better: Find some smaller producers like H?ussel, Barfuss, Bareknuckles, Fralin, Leosounds etc.

Hi!
Yep, I agree with Andi - the stock Pickups are not bad!

I replaced them with H?ussels because: I missed some more open Sound with nice treble, smooth attack, great dynamic, and never getting muddy specially in the neck position!

Hey Ozeshin: Do not take a SD JB, this pickup does not show the full range of your guitar! The SD 59 ist not bad, if you want to choose a SD!

Buy a Qantas ticket, and come over to my place, here you can check out more than 25 guitars with all the different H?ussel pickups built in - ready for "rock"! :wink: :wink: (I wish I could drink a VB right now - at the beach cafe in Byron Bay!)

good on ya, "ACY"

Thanks for the advice! BaggyPants, david_djd, Schnabelrock :D

I'm going to take my time to choose because I agree with Andi and Acy, mkIIs are not bad, not the greatest thing you've ever heard but definitely not bad.

I've been collecting samples of the pick ups that I like best and so far this is my ranking;

1 Hans Jurgen's Shaw PAFS (where did you get them?)
2 burstbuckers 1 & 2 -> according to the samples I have
3 p-94's
4 ceramics 496R 500T

Schnabelrock said:
No, Burstbuckers are not waxed. Whenever you go heavy, they go crazy. Btw. I think Gibson PUs are overpriced.

I'd like to get this sound;

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/58/1958Standard.html

play the sample below :D that's why I like burstbuckers 1 & 2 .You're right, they are overpriced but they sound great.

Schnabelrock said:
Find some smaller producers like H?ussel, Barfuss, Bareknuckles, Fralin, Leosounds

The problem with small producers is that sometimes you can't hear the pick ups and you don't know what are you purchasing.

If you want to hear some samples of H?ussel Pickups, have a look at my homepage, and check out the "Soundfiles" Button!
good on ya, "ACY"

Hey Ozeshin: Do not take a SD JB, this pickup does not show the full range of your guitar! The SD 59 ist not bad, if you want to choose a SD!

Hi ACY,

I wouldn't assert that so absolutistically !! :(

In my Edwards it was a good sounding alternative - perhaps not in my Tokai - but it also depends on several parameters, like wood etc. and obviously if it is built with just a maple cap or with an additional veneer like mine is.
My E. has much more attack than my Tokai and plays totally different - they have been built to be played in different styles.
... and you can't equalize it just by mounting the same pups in it!!
... and you'll make different experience with different guitars!

Roger

Hi Roger!
Yep, on Guitars with too much treble a JB could be a good choice!

But still I do not like that ...................................! (Sorry for that emotional statement!)

See ya on moday?

bye, "ACY"

My Les Paul Retrospec came as standard with Haussell pickups.

See this old link

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3604&highlight=retrospec

Hi!
That?s interesting! So you got the Vin B A5 in your Tokai!

This is not the Pickup being tested in that "stupid" test in that german magazine! (I know a lot of details behind the walls!)

The Vin B A5 is a pickup that fits really great in a Tokai LP!

How do you like these pickups?

bye, "ACY"

ACY,

I think we'll see us on Monday - but at the moment I don't know - "lumbago" - cannot sit and go and stand, just lay down und stop moving!

Gottfried asked, if I could remind you of the "bottles" for the party !! :wink:

Have to rest now ...

Roger

ACY said:
Hi!
That?s interesting! So you got the Vin B A5 in your Tokai!

This is not the Pickup being tested in that "stupid" test in that german magazine! (I know a lot of details behind the walls!)

The Vin B A5 is a pickup that fits really great in a Tokai LP!

How do you like these pickups?

bye, "ACY"

The pickup and the guitar are fantastic - The pickups have Haeussel PAF Vin B and PAF VIN N on them . If you check out that link and read the thread you'll see picyutes of them.

Poor Harry never got paid for supplying them !

They are very true to the PAF and are not wax potted so they will squeel if pushed into a high volume.

I am an avid switcher of pickups, but I will not be changing these babies. I took the guitar into a local Gibson dealer and the owner did an A - B test of the guitar against his stock of Les Pauls. He had to admit that it had the better tone.

Hi!
So you can understan why "my" long lasting search for the right PU?s is over since a couple of years! And I did not count the really big number of all kinds of pickups I replaced to find my tone!

good on ya, "ACY"

P.S.: I?ll tell Harry what ya wrote in your posting!!!!!!!!

Anyone tried Seymour Duncan Phat cats?

I've been thinking of getting some humbucker sized P90 for my Love rock. I'd like to get a bit better clean and semiclean tone's and the P90 style pickups seem tempting (Haven't actually _played_ a guitar with P90's before).

Great thread

Just got a Tokai and found I like also my Single Coil sounds of my Telecaster.

I am interested in setting up my Tokai for versatile single coil / Humbuckler configurations similar to the S1 system on Strats

Any ideas on pickups, wiring and switches to be able to do that ?

Latest posts

Back