LS series

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paladin2019

Reaction score
Hi

I've been considering buying a Tokai Love Rock recently, and I've narrowed it down to the LS65 or the LS70. There are 3 things I'd like to clear up though:

1. My local guitar shop say that the 2 are almost identical, but the LS70 is better put together (is this true???) and has a flame top - are there any other differences between these 2, eg. neck profile, hardware?

2. I notice in the catalogue that the 65 has a solid top but the 70 is a laminate - does this mean that the 65 sounds better, despite being cheaper?

3. Finally, is the 65 a plaintop (never actually seen one) and does it come in the finish I believe is called "59-style dark cherry sunburst"?

Thanks in advance

Hey there,

Well, I have an LS-65 in a Violin Burst finish (looks like a mellowed-out cherry sunburst), and yes it is a 2 piece plaintop.

The higher numbered models come with a 2 piece back. The LS-65 is a 3 piece back. Neck profile and hardware are identical.

But from what I've heard from other people here, the LS-65 sounds a little bit better than the 70 series . Acoustically, the LS65 is more resonant, and sounds more "open" than the models with the laminated tops.

Save some money and get the LS-65!

Do you have any pictures? I can't find many decent Tokai images on the net.

Darn, I had my heart set on a flametop... now I'll have to go and try out a 65!

Cheers.

EDIT: Does anyone know what kind of wood is under the laminate on the LS70? Thanks.

The reason why the flame tops are laminate was explained somewhere on this board, basically it's cheaper that way because, as I understood, the 'flame' deosn't occur in every piece of maple. So buy using laminate tops they can make more flamed tops, the wood underneath is maple. As for how much it affetcs the sound I can't say. Anyway I just bought a LS-75Q which sounds really wonderful - the stock pups are great and the guitar sounds really good acoustically. The best advise is to let your ears decide ;)

Thanks for the replies, but I have another question.

After looking around on the net, the LS200 has caught my eye but they appear to only be available in japan. Looking through this forum, I found a japanese dealer for this guitar; has anyone ever imported a guitar to the UK, and can tell me roughly how much shipping/tax will cost?

It appears that importing from Japan is the cheapest option for buying any tokai guitar. :-?

The specs for both the LS-65 and 70 are basically the same from what I can gather, its just the 70 has the decorative "laminated flame top" on top of the solid (2 piece) maple cap, and the 2 piece mahogany body. I have an LS-70, and it sounds and feels great. But I would say that. :wink:

On speaking to one of the guitar shop owners who's friendly with the distributer, he says that the cost of importing and distributing LS-200 + 's is too great, and veering into Gibson territory. People will shell out on the Gibson rather than the Tokai equivalent, simply because its a Gibson. Simple economics. I've not heard of anyone in the UK importing a high end Tokai from Japan, but some of the American board users have done so.

Cost of importing to the UK will be on the Customs & Excise website, and someone explained to me a while back that its VAT (17.5%) plus about 2.5% Excise Duty, so a Rule of Thumb is about plus 20%, but I'd look into it first before taking my word for it. :)

On importing th LS200: just checked customs website, 3.2% duty, 17.5% VAT on top of that. Not quite LP stadard territory, but more than a Studio. I think I'll stick with the high-end tokai for a few reasons:

1. 59 reissue specs for a fraction of Gibson's price
2. No scratchplate
3. Ebony fingerboard
4. Rarity - how many people in the UK will own one? :D
5. Gibson are an evil corporate empire who charge too much for a name

Yes, guitar shop universe - got a reply from a very helpful chap named Yoshi who said the shipping would be ?115 or ?219 depending on which service was used (EMS or UPS).

Still comes to less than the LP Standard. Now all I need is a job :wink:

Well, I now have a job - hopefully a Tokai will follow!

A final question, do the MIJ Love Rocks (specifically the 200's) have chrome or nickel bridges/tailpieces?

Cheers people

in answer to your questions...

the LS200 & LS320 have nickel hardware.

Please keep in mind that these 2 models also feature 1 peice mahogany bodies and necks, long tenon, 2 piece solid flame top, better electrics and nitro laquer.
The Gibson versions(R8 and R9) are between US$5,500 and US$7,500.

The regular Gibson range may be in closer proximity price-wise but the construction of the Tokai LS200 and LS320 are far superior.

regards
Peter Mac 8)

these 2 models also feature 1 peice mahogany bodies and necks, long tenon, 2 piece solid flame top, better electrics and nitro laquer.

I am a longtime Fender bender. WTF is a "TENON" ???

WTF is a tenon?

A tenon is the part of the neck that slots into the body. Most LP's have a tenon that stops before the end of the fingerboard. Original GLP's and Tokai Top-line models feature a long tenon that extends past the fingerboard into the front pickup cavity.
This long tenon allows for better sustain, stability and tone of the instrument.

regards to Barry

Peter Mac

About woods Tokai are using on their guitars: canadian alder and ash,indian rosewood and mahogany(mahogany not totally sure,but I think that).I noticed honduran mahogany for most expensive models.I have seen in person a GOLD TOP LIMITED EDITION LOVE ROCK that was marvellous(only 5 made,1 bought by Rod Stewart guitarist from Yoshi).It was a shame I had spent a lot of money before meeting that beauty...maybe next time). :wink:

Peter Mac said:
WTF is a tenon?

A tenon is the part of the neck that slots into the body.

Thanks for the answer. I was not aware of that! Since I am obviously not a Les Paul type person, I have another question: What is the difference soundwise between chrome, nickel & aluminum stop tailpieces? Where can I purchase an aluminum stop tailpiece if the reward in tone is so great?

In terms of finish, there is no sound difference between gold, nickel or chrome plating of parts - it is purely cosmetic.
The difference is in the metal it is made from. Gibbo originals were aluminium, later changing to a steel alloy. Sound -wise the aluminium was "sweeter", more consistant mass than the steel.

Gibbo do sell genuine aluminium spares now but the Tokai always had aluminium units Part# L-630 (nickel) or L-631 (chrome).

good hunting
Peter Mac

What's the quality like on the nuts of the high-end tokais? I've got a hand-cut nut on my Epiphone at the moment, and it's the only nut I've ever been happy with - even some 2grand Gibbo's I've played have had dodgy nuts.

Original Message:

I've been considering buying a Tokai Love Rock recently, and I've narrowed it down to the LS65 or the LS70. There are 3 things I'd like to clear up though:

1. My local guitar shop say that the 2 are almost identical, but the LS70 is better put together (is this true???) and has a flame top - are there any other differences between these 2, eg. neck profile, hardware?

2. I notice in the catalogue that the 65 has a solid top but the 70 is a laminate - does this mean that the 65 sounds better, despite being cheaper?

3. Finally, is the 65 a plaintop (never actually seen one) and does it come in the finish I believe is called "59-style dark cherry sunburst"?

ANSWER - Paladin, you're on the right track. The "put together better" advice from your local guitar shop is worth about ?40 to them if you take their advice.

The LS-65 is less attractive as the "grain" may not conform to your aesthetically sensitive eyes. Forget your eyes, veneer = damping.

Buy the LS-65 mij and resist the charms of the flame veneers!

You're just rying to make us all jealous!

Nice one, let us know how you get on with it.

Latest posts

Back