how to magnetically reverse the phase of a PAF?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roe,

didn't want to offend you, but it sounded curious to me ... :-?

I didn't knew when I asked. found out later.

... nevertheless, I estimate those contributions very highly, 'cause they help to find 'your tone' . :wink:

Roger

Roe said:
"Magnetically generated phase shift seems to respond to pitch changes-the higher the note, the more pronounced the effect. <BR>Chords and bass notes don't have the thin, shrill sound of out-of-phase wiring, yet high notes played on the top strings have a prnounced hollow cry. Want to judge the sound of the "Greeny wiring" for yourself? visit truefire.com and download "inside B.B.'s Blues"."

I'm still skeptical. The phase effect can be fine tuned using your volume controls anyway.

Either way, it would be very easy for you to swap over two wires to see if you like what you hear and could save a lot of effort. It would be a lot harder and a lot riskier to mod a pickup.

I don't know much about Peter Green, other than he played Matamp (which lead tp them being called Green for a while), and I didn't care for the band he started once they got that stand up gal singer.

I do know, that all the Gary Moore I've seen has him playing a LP where the neck PU visable pole pieces face the bridge, not the neck. Also, that black LP Jeff Beck played in the Blow by Blow period also has the reversed PU. Is it possible to get this effect by just flipping the PU around, without taking it all apart?
Or do I just know nothing about what this thread is talking about?

While I am showing my ignorance on wiring things, I am finding those NOS Bumblebee caps sell for over $100, and are decades old! Any modern cap I can buy new for a reasonable fee that will be similar at all?

Thanks..

YOU CAN GET NOS SPRAGUE .022 BLACK BEAUTIES, WHICH ARE THE SAME CAP AS THE BUMBLE BEES, JUST LOOK DIFFERENT ON THE OUTSIDE, ON EBAY. I GOT 5 FOR $50 USD FROM THIS SELLER FOR MY 50'S WIRING MOD. THEY SOUND AWESOME. HERE'S A LINK TO THE AUCTION I GOT MINE FROM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71573&item=180001885654

THE VOLTAGE RATING IS 600vdc, THE GIBSON SPEC IS 400vdc BUT IT DOESNT AFFECT THE TONE.

Hey, thanks!

There are a few here and there on eBay as I write this, but there are all who knows how old, and up for auction.

Thing I can just plain buy, ideally new, and will perform at the rated specs? I've had bad luck with old parts, as they were just plain old. Granted, they will likely sound better, but I would like to not have to worry about something suffering old age. I perform live often, and reliability is a huge concern.

TSL said:
...I do know, that all the Gary Moore I've seen has him playing a LP where the neck PU visable pole pieces face the bridge, not the neck. ...Is it possible to get this effect by just flipping the PU around, without taking it all apart?
...Thanks..

Hi,

no, just turning the pup around won't help much at all because it doesn't change the phase of the pup (on some pups, there's almost no effect; on others - like burstbuckers and unbuckers - there's a bit of effect on the sound.)

TSL said:
While I am showing my ignorance on wiring things, I am finding those NOS Bumblebee caps sell for over $100, and are decades old! Any modern cap I can buy new for a reasonable fee that will be similar at all?

The old ones are not only old, but their values will have drifted over the years and they won't run as rated. They only cost that much because, obviously, everything associated with late 50's gibsons was infused with magical tone voodoo by magical voodoo pixies.

Orange drops will do the job just fine but if you want a vintage style paper/oil cap then your best bet would be Hovland (in the US) or Audionote (in the UK).

Thanks to everyone for this topic! I put some Orange Drops in today (PUPs are '57 Classic in the neck, and Burstbucker Pro bridge), and WOW!

Thought I would try something cheap before spending for Bumblebees. Local reputable guitar repair shop informs me these caps are so over rated for an electric guitar that old ones that may've drifted from original specs will still be more than adequate. They also said I would likely hear "a little difference" by changing caps. Understatement of the year!

I see a busy soldering gun in my future, as well as all my guitars being opened up! Maybe I'll be brave at some point and flip the magnet as well...

Thanks again to all!

Hi there!

I have no idea about reversing the phase of pick ups, but, I presume that by sending a reversed signal to the amp what you achieve is to make the speaker swallow when it should be pushing. Well, there are amps with their phase inverted, I think the hot rods have the phase like this.

On the other hand, if you invert the phase of one of the pickups and you switch on both, neck and bridge, what you achieve is phase cancellation to some degree, and problably you can avoid feedback an you can get some odd effect, I don't know.

ganzua said:
On the other hand, if you invert the phase of one of the pickups and you switch on both, neck and bridge, what you achieve is phase cancellation to some degree, and problably you can avoid feedback an you can get some odd effect, I don't know.

What happens is that the two pickups work against each other and cancel out any common frequencies - therefor you only hear the DIFFERENCES between the two. It's a very nasal, hollow sound but quite distinctive.

Paladin2019 said:
What happens is that the two pickups work against each other and cancel out any common frequencies - therefor you only hear the DIFFERENCES between the two. It's a very nasal, hollow sound but quite distinctive.

Yes, I was thinking in some kind of effect like this one. :wink:

the mod works fine! with a good vibrato, you get really close to the green sound!

If you turn down one of the pup volumes, the out of phase effect decreases and the sound gets thicker.

very useable!

the thin out of phase sound can be really sweet if you have a good vibrato and play in the style of bb king and peter green.
it seems that it's harder to get a good sound with this thin sound than with the regular, thick gibby sound. but its rewarding too :D

Latest posts

Back