... 40 years under the bed ... ?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
Do people always get what they deserve ???? :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul_W0QQitemZ200005867223QQihZ010QQcategoryZ118992QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Roger

Gisbon Les Paul Deluxe. The serial number is 57579. Based on the serial number I believe it is a 1962.

For a man who has had the guitar for over 25 years, he knows bugger all about it :D No Les Pauls (other than '68 Customs) between 1960 and 1969 (no matter what the numpty who reckons he has a '68 Deluxe says), plus, it's got a pancake body, which puts it into the Norlin (AKA the "Not worth $125,000" years ;)

It looks to be from '70 to '75, probably worth $1000 or so. I hope no one is foolish enough to spend $125,000 on it!

Bill

Took a brief look here in Japan, and LP's from around that year seem to be going for about $2,000 or so.

Bill

BaggyPants ... because you mentioned it... !

What's exactly is the 'Norlin era' ???

Is it for the 'pancaked' bodies only or are there further specs which were not as it should be?
Is he also responsible for the cheeshole-bodies??

Roger

tudor said:
BaggyPants ... because you mentioned it... !

What's exactly is the 'Norlin era' ???

Is it for the 'pancaked' bodies only or are there further specs which were not as it should be?
Is he also responsible for the cheeshole-bodies??

Roger

The main giveaways for a Norlin (1970's) period Gibson LP, are the pancake body (two bits of mahogany with a lighter slice of wood between them. I think it was maple, but not sure) and the large volute where the peghead met the neck. It was an era where many say Gibsons standards dropped. They brought in these ideas to make the guitars better, but the quality dropped, which is why they are so relatively cheap to buy. Type Gibson norlin pancake volute into Google and see what it brings up :D

Latest posts

Back