Nitro Necks in Hot Weather

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
We are having some freak hot weather here in the UK

The nitro painted necks on my ST-80, ST-100 and Retrospec Les Paul Reborn are very sticky making them unplayable.

Does anyone know how you can overcome this ?

I have had that problem occasionally-Here's a quick fix->

build a small camp fire>
carefully place the melting Nitro side of the neck approx 6 inches from the fire and the nitro will burn quite well (make sure not to burn the wood under the nitro)
next is the tricky part>
take some 50 grit sandpaper(wet or dry if you prefer) and sand of the old burnt by now flaking Nitro- and wahlah
you done !!

Who says Tom Murphy is the only one to screw up a good paint job???

:roll:

Come to Texas is you want freakishly hot and humid weather. Today in Dallas hit 107 degrees - we're over a week of 100 degree plus weather.

The heat softens the nitro, opens the pores of the wood and there's not much you can do to change that. What works for me is a little baby powder rubbed on the back of the neck. It's not abrasive and it absorbs the moisture from your hand without gumming up the neck. Wipe it clean after each gig and reapply as needed.

I don't think I have the pioneering spirit to undertake your advice Ochay, but many thanks for the reply.

I'll give the talc a try cheers marcusnieman.

Temperatures in South East England are expected to touch the 100F mark today.You guys are all prepared for this weather in Texas with your aircon everywhere. We don't have that in our castles, closest thing we have is a parasol :wink:

I'll give the talc a try cheers marcusnieman

Don't forget to use it on yourself - you're right about having the air condtioning out here - it's not a luxury, it's a matter of survival.

Hang in there....what the hell is up with the weather round the world these days? New York hit 100 yesterday.

having the same problem with a mik j200 i bought recently
the neck is very sticky. i thought it was something on my hands. but scrubbing them has made no differance, and my neck woudnt be nitro, so the hot weather must be affecting other laquers too

It was over 100 here in Winnipeg with the humidex and we have Polar Bears living in this Province! :eek:

I've used the talc too and it seems to work great.

:eek: Thats no lie bout the heat here in Dallas! My central air conditioner went out Tuesday when it was a true 105 degrees!The inside of my home reached 95 while I had three guys replace the air unit and the heater...$6700 later I'm sitting in cool comfort about 71 degrees in here an 100 plus outside. But that was my "Mad" money! Used for buying toys, Guitars etc! :x But as Mrs.Tokaiguy said "Write the check and shut the F*ck up you big baby!" :wink:

:eek: It was so hot here yesterday I saw the Priest chasing the Alterboys through the sprinklers! :roll:

in madrid it gets pretty bad too and worse every year (**** ozone layer), we ve hit at least 104 f almost every day the last 2 weeks. well i was in ft worth 3 yrs ago in august and that was just too much - hottest place i ve ever been

There is not much you can do about it. Nitro is very poreous and absorbs the moisture and oils from your hands. The niro will remain sticky until it dries out. I usually gig with 2 guitars in the summer to better deal with this problem.

Latest posts

Back