50'S WIRING MOD: Pics Added

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARAGERAT

Reaction score
I DID THE 50'S WIRING MOD FROM ERESSERACA'S "THURSDAY BURST" WEBSITE http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/ TODAY ON MY KOREAN LOVE ROCK. I USED SHORT SHAFT CTS 500K POTS, NOS SPRAGUE .022-600V BLACK BEAUTY CAPS, AND RAN NEW BRAIDED SHIELDED WIRE TO THE THREE-WAY SWITCH. THE HOLES FOR THE VOL AND TONE NEEDED A LITTLE ENLARGING BUT WAS EASY WITH A ROUND WOOD FILE. WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE. I HAVE CLARITY /DEFINITION IN THE SOUND OF THE GUITAR THAT I DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE. THE VOL AND TONE ARE MUCH MORE SENSITIVE. IT GOT RID OF ALOT OF MUDDINESS NOT ONLY WHEN I TURN DOWN BUT THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE RANGE. I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH IT.[/b]

Hi GARAGERAT,

It?s funny that we are mod our Tokai at the same time, me myself are installing new Grover tuners, new studs for the stoptail, and I will also do the same with the wiring when I bought the things that I need.

How long is the pots (in MM) ? and where have you bought you stuff ?
Do you have any pictures ?

Keep up the good work :D

Anders
Sweden

People on this forum really need to learn what a hand reamer is.

A round wood file to enlarge your pot holes? Ouch! :lol:

Glad it worked out, the wiring upgrade is easily the best value for money upgrade you can make and the difference is always a noticeable improvement.

Paladin2019 said:
People on this forum really need to learn what a hand reamer is.

A round wood file to enlarge your pot holes? Ouch! :lol:

Glad it worked out, the wiring upgrade is easily the best value for money upgrade you can make and the difference is always a noticeable improvement.

No Love Rocks were harmed during this procedure, lol. I called it a file but I guess you are right it's a hand reamer. Tapered and fluted with a "T" handle. My brother has a wood shop, he builds furniture. Didn't mean to give you goose bumps with the file remark. I assure you this guitar is very well cared for. I don't even like people to walk near it, lol.

GARAGERAT,

Also, dont forget the braided wire for the switch. The guy with the pots has that also. Just thought I'd mention it.

... very important hint!! :wink:

Andreas Kloppmann (from Kloppmann pickups) also recommends this highly.
Never thought before what difference in tone it would provide!!

Roger

BEFORE I DID THE TOTAL REWIRE, I CHANGED THE CAPS OUT FOR THE BLACK BEAUTIES AND REWIRED THE STOCK TOKAI STUFF TO THE 50'S SPECS TO SEE IF I WOULD LIKE THE SOUND. THE GUITAR SOUNDED GOOD ALREADY AND A CHANGE BACK WOULD BE EASIER THIS WAY IF I DIDN'T. I LIKED WHAT I HEARD WITH THE PARTIAL SO I WENT AHEAD WITH THE WHOLE DEAL. AND THEN: WOW. THE SHIELDING MUST HAVE CANCELED OUT SOME NOISE I COULDN'T REALLY HEAR, BUT WAS MUDDYING UP THINGS, HENCE THE NEW FOUND CLARITY. I BELIEVE THE CTS POTS ARE MORE SENSITIVE / REACTIVE TO SMALL MOVEMENTS. IMHO, I THINK LEAVING IT OUT WOULD BE A MISTAKE, THE WHOLE CONVERSION SHOULD BE DONE. I COULD REALLY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK TO THE FIRST REWIRE AND THEN WITH THE SECOND REWIRE AS WELL.

BaggyPants said:
What's the difference in shaft length between the short and long ? Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it's something I've often wondered :)

From what I could see on the stew mac website the threaded portion is 3/8" tall on the short type and 3/4" tall on the long type.

GARAGERAT said:
BaggyPants said:
What's the difference in shaft length between the short and long ? Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it's something I've often wondered :)

From what I could see on the stew mac website the threaded portion is 3/8" tall on the short type and 3/4" tall on the long type.

Thank you :D

Here are a few pics of my wiring job. I tried to make it neater than the factory wiring. I think it turned out well. It was a lot of work really. The sound is awesome.

caterpillar021bi2.jpg

caterpillar016lw0.jpg
[/img]

You've did an excellent job, I guess ! :wink:

My soldering doesn't look that accurate way! :-?

Roger

I've tried this one

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stockgibson.php

this one ...

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2202

and this one last nyt ...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2h_2v_2t_3w.html

ALL of this didn't work ..

I think this is going to be my last resort
"Thursday Burst and ACY" wirings ...

If this one won't work for me...
I'd Probably buy those CTS pots...
and rewire again to "Thursday Burst and ACY" Wirings!

Thanks for the help!!!

Update you soon!!!

I DREW THIS ON THE COMPUTER FOR MYSELF AS THE THURSDAY BURST WAS A GOOD START, THERE WERE JUST A FEW THINGS I COULDN'T SEE REAL GOOD FROM THE PICS AND DRAWING. I ALSO WANTED SOMETHING THAT I COULD PRINT AND TAKE TO THE WORKBENCH WITH ME. MAYBE IT WILL HELP. I THINK IF YOU START FROM SCRATCH WITH NEW CTS POTS, CAPS, SHIELDED WIRE AND DO THE BURST WIRING YOU'LL BE HAPPY. BUT I REALLY BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO DO ALL OF IT. I PAID $10 A PIECE FOR THE NOS SPRAGUE CAPS. ABOUT $60 TOTAL FOR THE WHOLE RIG. BUT IF YOU'RE TRYING TO CAPTURE THE SOUND OF A GUITAR THAT WAS BUILT 47 YEARS AGO YOU GOTTA COME AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN WITH THE PARTS AS IS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.
50swiringdp6.jpg

HERE'S A LINK TO A BIGGER VERSION.

http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50swiringtn5.jpg

Thanks for drawing too.... THanks a lot!!
I'll give it a shot tonight!
Unluckily there are no sprague caps
available here...
only cheap Orange drops.
:-?

Hi!
This is not a "historical" 59 wiring, but working fine for understanding! It is the Version for Gibson Les Pauls with that metal plate mounted pots!
good on ya, "ACY"

schalt_lp_59_4adrig_01.jpg

Back