laminated tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CB

If you can bend those buggers, you must have fingers like Sausages. By the way, if you've got any old fingerboards you don't want I might be interested.

And if you want that Love Rock Barry, you may have to fight James for it :(

Sorry Lee I use all my old and broken fingerboards as bookmarks so you can't have them.
Actually I have changed my EFHs for a set of graded barbed wire fencing cable which I have cut down and used as strings. Unfortunately the barbs won't thread through the sustain block properly, which means that when I play standing up I get a nasty bleeding 'rash' on my scrotum. This is all worth it though for that screaming texas wail you get by using such avant garde equipment. The guitar sounds like ****, but I have developed an excellent repertoir of 'Texas screams' to compensate.
As far as having fingers like sausages goes, have you ever tried playing the guitar with a sausage? Don't be so silly. I have fingers like really fat fingers you fool. Actually, now you mention it though, they have started to look a bit like black puddings recently.

Hey cool, I've just found out that if you type a swear word in it automatically gets replaced with gobbledygook. I wonder how effective the piece of software that does that is. Just how large is the swear dictionary?

Ok my go,

Ham Shank (or Wank for the none Londoners)
Berk (Or Berkshire Hunt for the Londoners)
Bugger (Ok I admit I've already seen it on the site somewhere)
**** (But then I already knew that one worked)
*&%? (It was a safe bet on that one too)
Furry Knickers?
Melons, Baps, jugs, Norks, Hooters.

Crap that's only 2 I've got to work so far.

I could do this all day.

Sorry Ned.

Just as a piece of information - I have an early 80's LR and it has a one piece mahogany back & two piece maple top (no flame) you can see the maple top goes past the binding inside the cutaway like on the early Gibbos. This guitar appears much lighter in weight than most LP's and resonates like the clappers just like my 'real' '69 SG which is Honduras mahogany. That plus the ginger colour you can see on both of them where the laquer is dinged makes me think the Tokai is made of the same stuff! Is it possible they were still using it in the 80's when it was becoming protected and all the other makers were using Brazilian and other types?

The early Gibson Les Pauls had a "carved top". I guess pretty timbers were cheap and available in the 60's and some of the flame tops may have happened by accident, creating a demand. A "carved" top excludes laminates by definition and any rationale would exclude laminates, of any kind, for decorative purposes that might exclude tonal property issues.

I maintain that the 2001 issue of the Tokai Love Rock LS series demonstrates this clearly. Boy, was I tempted by the quilted (LS-80?) just because it looked so good. My ears told me to buy the cheapest (LS-65).

The imperfections in the grain mattered less than the responsive and brighter sound over it's more expensive siblings.

LISTEN - don't look!

Latest posts

Back