Let's Now Talk About What Amp(s)You Use With Your Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratdeluxer

Reaction score
I own several amps....Vintage Marshall,vintage Fender,some newer tube Fender amps and a very recent and very cool Fender Cyber Twin...I don't actually possess the Love Rock yet,but I really was curious as to what most of us would be plugging into.I know I'm going to see an awful lot of Les Paul into a Marshall because it's an unbeatable combination.

I've been gigging live with my Cyber Twin for over a year and it is a great amp,very,very versatile.....You have to spend a bit of time tweaking as the stock presets are too showy and have too much effects added in...There is also a website off the FDP that offers tons of great Cyber Twin presets(Most of the earlier ones were my presets) LOL

Let me start off by telling you that I can help you in a pretty big way with the CT learning curve if you own or are thinking of buying one? Just here to let you all know that I'm here to help and learn from all of you....

Thank You

I can't touch your collection of amps...I have a Marshall avt20. I know it's solid state, but for my purposes ( bedroom playing) it serves me well. I know that all tube(valve) amps sound the best...

...but only when the sound is cranked so I'd probably be wasting my money to get a full fledged all tube Marshall if I'm not going to turn it up.

BTW don't be discouraged if it takes a while to get replies to your threads. As someone mentioned before, the tokaiforum gets only a small percentage of traffic that the FDP gets. Besides I feel that our Tokais should stay the well kept secret it is; if Tokai gets huge in the U.S. Gibson or Fender will come a runnin full steam ahead with their legal teams.

Frank555.....I understand what you're saying....I'm just so used to writing and getting at least one or more responses pretty quickly,but I'm ok with everything now...Just trying to make some friends over here now is all.. ;o)

I'm also on quite a few other sites....Marshall,Vintage Guitar,Harmony Central,Weber VHT,but pretty much it's the FDP and this site now until I can plant my feet. ;o) You mentioned me reminding you of a teenager and I'll take that as a compliment now that I'm actually 42 years young. LOL

John

I play my Korean Love Rock through a new Fender 65 Twin RI and it sounds awesome. The amp is very heavy though and I am beginning to resemble an ape!

Hey vaporboy....You're ok as long as your wife doesn't resemble the ape! ;o)

Hey did you say you changed out the pickups in your Tokai?

Wondering what the difference is between the Duncan 59's and the Seth Lovers other than the Lovers being un-potted for microphonics? I'm really a strat/tele single coil guy.I Know a little bit about Les pauls and humbuckers,but not the two together..

John

Hey man you are everywhere! The Cyber Twin is great! I have Vox Super Beatle{ Tone?} a Marshall 1960 , a Fender Blues jr, 65' Super Reverb but the best all around amp{even makes the Beatle have tone} my Line 6 Flextone II ... the Cyber has a rectified right? With a Love Rock It's Gary Moore allday long!! and I still got the blues!

I play my Love Rock through some kind of solid state Marshall called a Lead 75. I bought it used because it said Marshall and it was cheap. The overdriven sound is pretty good and you can tweak a lot of stuff to get different tones, although I usually settle for Clapton/Gary Moore (why else would you buy a LR?). Actually, my stage playing days are unfortunately long behind me, so I'm pretty much a bedroom player.

My dream would be a Fender Vibroverb Reissue, because I tried an 80's Goldtop LR through one once and the tone was pure heaven! It was exactly what I was looking for "right out of the box".

Tokaiguy....Yes the Cyber Twin has the rectifier tone,along with every other modeling amp these days! I recently sold my Mesa Tremoverb head and cabinet for this CT. Just prior to owning the CT I had bought the Line 6 Flextone II but I didn't like it so I returned that and have been very happy w/the CT..I also like the Vox ValveTronix 2x12.I've got some great presets dialed into my CT and I've been gigging with it for over a year now without any problems...I get some great Fender clean tones and some of the british tones are really happening also...I've got a ton of stuff here at my house and i'm up to like 11 guitars or something now! ;o)

John

For the bedroom studio I have an Ampeg Superjet SJ-12T reissue that is powered by a couple of Groove Tubes, and a Laney TF100 Tube Fusion that is fed into a Fender Satellite 80 watt extension cabinet with SFX effects. Both sound pretty cool, but very much different in tone. I am thinking about a small Yamaha single 12" at a local shop for $125.00. (Like I need another amp...)

stratdeluxer said:
Wondering what the difference is between the Duncan 59's and the Seth Lovers other than the Lovers being un-potted for microphonics? I'm really a strat/tele single coil guy.I Know a little bit about Les pauls and humbuckers,but not the two together..

John

John, here's a website that features short mp3 samples of all the major Seymour Duncan pickups. At first I could hardly tell the difference between the pups, but as the website stresses, the bigger and louder your speakers, the bigger difference you will hear. Oh yeah, here's the link:

http://pages.tca.net/scott_f/hummer.htm

To me the Seth Lovers have more "ommpph", I guess due to the more prominent mids. Best thing for you to do though is go to that website and hear for yourself!

I own a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 Valve Combo (please refer to Amps section!) :wink:

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to use it in anger, so to speak, but have had it up a way, lets say :D , and it sounds absolutely brilliant IMO. There are lots of people out there on various forums slagging the new Marshall's off for one thing or another, but it was exactly what I wanted when I was looking to buy a valve amp, at the right price, and it sounded excellent, though getting a great sound out of it requires time in front of the EQ section. Definitely not a "Plug and Play" amp.

At home, I mainly use a POD 2.0, on which I can get some really nice sounds, and is great for those late night practices / recording stints, and is really versatile.

And both sound great when used with my LP Studio and LS70 (which now has SD 59/JB combination which is growing on me! :wink: )

Hi stratdeluxer - sorry for the delay - I have retained the stock pups, I think they are prety good the way they are. I changed out the pups on my Wasburn HB35S for some 57's - big improvement. Don't see much need to change the Love Rock pups, I like them the way they are. What do you think about the tubes in the 65 TRRI?

Hi All,

I run my Tokai MM 2001 (s) and Korean goldtop with "tigsby" and P-90s through a Mesa Boogie .50 Calibre +.

I can get just about anything out of that combination.

No pedals, just a cable.

Cheers!,
Rob

Vaporboy....regarding the tubes in the TRRI.Are you talking about the preamp tubes or the 6L6's? I believe the 6L6's to be either Sovtek or EH both of which are Russian made with the EH being matched to stricter requirement..Or.....Fender may still be using Groove Tubes stamped with Fender labels.Early Twin reissues I saw actually had tubes marked Groove Tubes as did my CT's preamp tubes...Most of every tube we are buying today come for the most part from Russia or Checz....Tubes in recent years have improved quite a bit at least in reliability..Groove Tubes is making the exact G.E. tubes from days gone by in the 6L6,these tubes are made in the old factory and use the same components and methods of making the tubes the way they used to be made...They aren't cheap but it might be well worth the tone factor,strength,and reliabilty? Go to the Groove Tubes site and check em out.
I still don't have my Tokai Love Rock yet,but should be real soon,hopefully tomorrow! I'll surely post reviews about it on the site.Thanks for your pickup info....Look for my article that I'll soon be posting regarding replacement of stratocaster pickups and some cool mods and secrets...

John

John

84 LS-50 and 81 ST-50 into a 70's Fender Silverface Champ,and a Peavey Blazer that I use with Headphones.

Back