Message To LondonBarry And Tokai Guy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratdeluxer

Reaction score
Guys....You know what? How about we start from a clean page here and I send an apology to you both for maybe coming across to you both in the wrong tone..I just read another post from a fellow FDPer(Fender Discussion Page) and I'm really used to the way thinks work on that site..

Let me say how cool I thought it was to see a specific site dedicated to Tokai since,like yourselves,I wanted a Les Paul but couldn't spend like 3k for the one I wanted....I do own many guitars and most are Fenders and a gibson sg....My intent early on was to join your site and seek help and offer any help that I could to you.My intent was not to piss people off(Which makes me feel sad now that I have)...I'm sorry that being brand new to the site that I didn't quite have any of the in and outs figured out so I thought I'd just post for some questions about my own Tokai concerns...Maybe I hoped someone would just say hello and welcome but I got 1 response and everything went downhill from there. ;o(

I've offered alot of help and have received alot of help also from the FDP and I hoped for much the same here on yours.....Sorry that it went sour and I'd leave and get all answers from the FDP,but I won't just go away mad! ;o) Sorry again for making people mad and it wasn't my intent...Hope to hear back from anyone who would chime in and a special thanks to one of my FDP buddies for the support,that was really nice! You know where to find me girl! ;o)

John(Stratdeluxer)

Do a search under Stratdeluxer on the FDP and join another great site while you're at it....I know I could bring an awful lot of others to your site if you'd like....Check it out...

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html

John

The Korean pieces I've played have been great, the SG 60, being my favorite. There have been some awsome Japanese Love Rocks on EBay at resonable prices.{under a grand} I've been collecting Tokai's since the 80's along with vintage American guitars ...for the money Tokai, Fender Japan and the Orville by Gibson are the best replicas made. MHO Later

Thanks Tokaiguy....This makes me really happy! Man! Life is too short for this kind of stuff... ;o)

Anyway.....Monday I should be receiving my Lefty Korean Love Rock 2001.I'm reading that my paticular model might have an alder back,maple neck and the rosewood cap(Very non-Les Paulish) The guy I bought my Tokai from had a righty model like mine and he said it looked like mahogany backing overall.....I'm hoping this is the case with mine?

So tell me what you can in addition to the searches I've read so far about the Korean Love Rock models.....Thanks again for the welcome TokaiGuy!

John

Just to be clear - everyone is welcome. In the past I have had to ban individuals for personal attacks on contributors to the site.

However, it looks like this issue has taken care of itself and with the addition of StratDeluxer we have a resource for our Fender questions. Maybe we can use Stratdeluxers Fender knowledge to help determine the year Tokai is trying to copy?

I also frequent the FDP and we have mutual links on each others site. Because of the mass popularity the FDP gets 100x the traffic the Tokai Registry gets which leads to questions being answered faster.

Ned

PS - Search is a powerful thing

Stratdeluxer, I went on the Fender forum to check you out because your conduct on this forum was reminiscent of an immature teenager, based on the way you reacted when you didn't get the answers you wanted.

But I was proven wrong when I read your responses to questions on the FDP. Your apology shows that you are (hopefully) a mature adult.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but if you go on www.tokairegistry.com you'll find out more about your Korean guitar. That website talks about a "2001 limited edition" Korean Love Rock which has the mahogany back and neck just like the Japanese models. However, unlike the Japanese models, which have a real maple cap, the Korean limited edition model has a mahogany or alder top. I don't know how much this will affect the tone, but my feeling is the difference will be negligible.

Ned and Frank....Thanks for the responses....Yep,I get pretty defensive,but I may have taken the responses I got out of context and yes I'm all over the FDP regarding fender teles,strats,the Fender Cyber Twin,Vintage MarshallsBlackfaced fender amps,Tubes,amp biasing,guitar mods,pickup replacement,wiring diagrams,amp schematics,tone and volume pot mods.....Blah,blah,blah....LOL See where I'm coming from? I enjoy helping others and I'm a Paramedic/Firefighter in florida which I consider a pretty noble job! There got that outta the way! ;o)

Since I really wanted a Gibson Les Paul but couldn't afford one at 3k and knew about the great Tokai "replicas" I thought I'd try one out....like everyone else,the info on some of these guitars is a bit of a mystery...I must admit that I've been very intriqued with these guitars to say the least.

Please ask away at me regarding your Tele/Strat and other info and then some listed above at anytime!

:D Hey SD, I'm a Florida boy too! born and raised in Miami...Kendall area! Iknew you were alright all along! :D

Thanks Tokai....I'm from the TampaBay area...No one ever lives close enough to me to ever be able to hook up! ;o)

John

:D Will be in Ocala for Christmas , lived on Long Boat Key 2 years ago but once you live in Texas... aint livin ...anywhere else! Back in Dallas the onetime home of Tokai!! I swear! The early 80" was TST, and Love Rock heaven! 8)

stratdeluxer,you are welcome :wink: It is clear Tokairegistry guys love GUITARS ,stratos and teles including(I love teles myself).All information from you and other guys about guitars/music will be great.

About Love Rocks and other bang for the buck Tokai instruments information,send me a private messages and I will see what I can to do for you,but be patient this time,please.

LondonBarry...Thanks for the reply back to me! My fault from the get go but I promise to be a good boy from now on! ;o) I'll go quietly back to my room now with duntz cap planted firmly on my head. LOL

I appreciate this all!

John

Bugger. I was away the weekend and missed all the excitement. Glad to see you?ve sorted it out lads.

Right, who can I have a pop at.

JAMES!!! WHERE ARE YA? YOU THOROUGHLY DECENT BLOKE YOU!!

Been too busy at work to post for a while - what happened in my absence?! Ned, did you sell this domain name to the Jerry Springer Show Online? :wink:
Are we all still talking about Tokais? Just to update you all my Tokai cupboard (previously containing 81 ES100J, 80s TST60 and 80s TE50) is now full, after the acquisition of a black 81 Love Rock from Lee. Being a Peter Green nut I have done the out of phase thing on the pickups and it sounds great.
I finished sanding down the Breezysound a while ago but its still sitting dismembered in my flat while I dither over what colour to refinish it.

Sorry Barry :) I'm retiring from buying old Tokais, to give you a chance....just as soon as I've got one of those nice old LS70 Goldtops with P90s, and of course an SG and......

As to the out of phase question, I did a bit of research a while ago and came across a lot of tosh on the net, but some good info too. The best article I found was an interview with the guy who started Hamer (I think) guitars. He said he messed around with a lot of PAFs (when you could get them for pence) and had had a look at Greeny's old Les Paul. He said that the 'out of phase' sound was created by the neck pickup's magnet being flipped around so that its polarity was opposte to the bridge's. The fact that the pickup itself was turned around had nothing to do with it. Now I don't know if you can achieve the same thing buy just swapping the hot and ground connections, but I thought I'd try the magnet flip and it worked. Theres a bit of volume loss as apparently the pickups are working against each other (if you turn down the volume of one the sound fills out and gets a little louder), but you get that honky nasal sound. I compared it with Green's sound on the Shrine 69 album and it was very close (not withstanding the gulf in ability :cry: ).
While we're on this subject, I've always thought that BB King's sound on Live at the Regal sounds similar - was the out of phase sound an option on the old Gibson Varitone switch I wonder? Wonder if Green thought so too and worked out how to get the sound?
Anyway, if you've got some old pickups and a steady hand with the soldering iron give it a go.

for stratdeluxer and Tokaiguy -
Carumba, you guys need to get a motel room!!! :lol:

hey James,
the LR sounds like a great score, tell me more, tell me more.......

Ned, you may have to keep an eye on any trans-Atlantic rivalry

I'm going back to my Springy...

Peter

Latest posts

Back