Thursday Burst. 60's Black Beauties and more aging (PICS)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

UPDATE! Early 60's Black Beauty 160P caps installed and some more aging done!

UPDATE! Aged headstock and modded trussrod cover.

UPDATE! 50's wiring scematic! Thursday Burst.

UPDATE! Lightweight tailpiece installed and aged hardware. Soundclips and LOTS of pics!

Here's a little contribution to the forum other than just having questions about the recent quality issues.

A little site I made for the mods and stuff I've done to my Love Rock LS-80 trying to capture a little bit of the feel and tone of a vintage Burst.

I got a lightweight tailpiece coming in soon, I have gotten the new knobs that are missing on the last photos and the site will be updated in the future as I change more stuff, pickups etc.

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Hope you enjoy it! eresseraca

Quite interesting. Did you try to replace the tuners? I'd like to replace my tuners for vintage klusons and I have not clear if they fit.

No I haven't replaced them yet... Maybe in the future though.

But after the tailpiece change I'll replace the pickups to some PAF clones...

It's a 05 but it had Gotoh pickups stock both reading about 8.5k, in other words not the newer Keiyo ones. I talked to Hans-Jurgen over at the SD Forum and he believed that the may be the Gotoh PAF MKII's. The sound decent and will do for now, when it comes to Ohm readings the are quite close to PAF's as well. I still plan exchange them further down the road though.

Thanks bruceboomstick! Glad you enjoyed it, pics and maybe some comparsion soundclips are on the way as soon as the tailpiece arrives.

ganzua said:
Quite interesting. Did you try to replace the tuners? I'd like to replace my tuners for vintage klusons and I have not clear if they fit.
Vintage kluson's will fit with a little routing of the post holes.
I went the opposite direction and put a modern set of grovers on mine...bad move.
The tuners work fine but Klusons use two screws to hold them onto the headstock...grovers take just one.
That meant i had to putty up the extra screw holes and colour them to match the cherry finnish.....it almost worked :-?

Hey eresseraca,

never saw such a detailed and informative web site before - exception: profs!! :eek:

Congrats - you did an excellent job!! :lol:

Now I know where I'll come back when I need advice in wiring ... had so much problems with the correct '50s wiring on my Edwards!

Keep going on with this ... I'm looking forward to the next steps.

Roger

Very professional looking conversion and probably better Quality than some of the overpriced G!bson Historic reissue models that are floating around. Nice Job!

Hi, eresseraca and welcome to the forum!

Great site and great looking guitar.

If you are looking for paf pickups for your project you might want to check Kloppmann pickups. He's done his homework on pickups. Here's a link: http://www.kloppmann-electrics.de/index_en.php

Ben Granfelt uses Kloppmann pickups and if I recall right he is using PAF as a bridge pickup in his Tyler Burning Water guitar. He's also the Kloppmann dealer in Finland.

Br, Jouko

Nice job, but I have one slight criticism; I've tried in the past to install that switchcraft switch and had the same problem. Gibson actually use a washer insert to get around it. When I asked my tech to do what you did with the sanding he refused on the grounds that to get the screw reasonably secure you'd have to sand the top thin enough that it would be incredibly vulnerable to damage.

Switchcraft actually make a switch with the thread long enough to fit properly on tokais - but i guess that little tidbit is too little too late! :(

Thanks for all kind words everyone, appreciate that! :D

When it comes to pickups, I have looked around alittle already and the Klopmanns seems like a interesting alternative for sure. Didin't know that there were a Finnish dealer though. That's good news in case I'll go with the Klopmanns!

You now Paladin.... when using the "deepthreaded nut" that Gibson used/uses the switchcraft switch there's a chance that it would fit without sanding. I ordered the deepthreaded nut afterwards. So I have now both sanded it down + use the deepthreaded nut. And now it fits like a glove. As I said, it would probably work with just the deepthreaded nut but it looks more "correct" now after sanding it thinner first so that the threaded part of the switch ain't that far down in the hole. And that's what I'm shooting for after all.

Sure the top got a thinner around the switch but I don't see that as such a critical thing. I tried to gently put some preassure on there afterwards to see if it bends or so. But I relalized that it would still require ALOT of pressure on just that area of the top to break it since the thinned area is such a small area and the body is supporting the top on the sides of it.

I'll post some pics of the switch fitted in place with the deepthreaded nut as well. As soon as I get the time for that.

Hi eresseraca,

I have the Kloppmanns in my Edwards - for me now it is an upgrade, but at first it was a very strange sound for me, I must confess.

They're sounding very open, woody and hollowly, never heard this tone before. Additional '50s wiring with single conductor braided shields all over, even the connection from the switch to the pots and from the jack make this happen. Andreas Kloppmann himself recommends this wiring scheme.

So - listen to them before you'll give them a try (they are expensive), you won't regret it!!

Roger

Okay, it's just that woody hollow non wax potted sound that I'm interested in. But as you state, they're **** expensive :-?

We'll see. When talking PAFs over at the SD Forum someone suggested that if I'm going for boutique german winders I should also check out Leosounds pickups. Handwired PAF replicas at a very resonable price. Not much info on them though.

I have though about getting a SD Antiquity neck and a Leosounds 59Bucker Classic bridge.

Very well done. Nice work on that site. I'm in the middle of this myself. Have my ES120 stripped from electronics at the moment. Lightweight Alu tailpiece, CTS 500KA pots, braided wire, switchcraft jack and Antiquity pickups.

You recommend the wiring on your site? Any schematic?

Thanks johan! The new wiring made my Tokai sound alot richer and fuller... I love it.

If you want the 50's wiring... (some like it some don't, you have to try, you can always resolder if you don't like it) Then wiring on my site is the wiring to do. No schematic though, just the photos and the black & white picture.

Hey eresseraca"
Great page, very well done! If you start looking for new pickups for your beauty, have a check at Ruokongas (Finland) and ask him for H?ussel Pickups! Talk to him about those pickups, and may be, you?ll give them a chance! They would make your Tokai sing and scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good on ya, "ACY"

Thanks ACY!

I've looked a little at the H?ussel pickups... They seem like some great PAF replicas as well. Good to see that some people recommend these European boutique pickups as well not only the US made ones. :)

@Hans-J?rgen: Hi! Nice to meet another "Billy-Boy"! :D - Had a 100% pure ZZ Top Band for a while named "Tres Hombres!" Was a lotta fun, specially when it?s been time to share the money! Just "three"!!!!!!!!!
good on ya, "ACY"

Thursday Burst site updated!

Lightweight tailpiece installed and aged hardware. Soundclips and LOTS of pics!

Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and give critics! :)

Latest posts

Back