Importing from Japan vs buying in the UK - let's discuss!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why should he answer to you, rocks and prs? You are not going to buy or will ever buy a Tokai from him so what's the point. Why waste time for nothing?

Again.....read the words exactly as they are written.

It wasn't a mis-quote. it was an accurate quote from a real website. Granted, it appears there are some cheaper. If I thought i'd get so much blinking hassle of one person, i'd have spent 5 hours reading through more carefully!!

Secondly, i said, get in touch with us and we'll do our best to compete. This is not the same as saying we'll sell it at exactly the same price as the Japanese shops. The currency markets make this impossible. But we might be able to narrow the difference sufficiently to make it worth your while. Or maybe not.

That choice is up to you.

Is it just me folks are what??? :roll:

I wouldn't expect any dealer to tell me how cheaply I can get a guitar from somewhere else. His job is to convince us that the price he's asking is good value for what's on offer. It's the buyers job to find the deal that most suits their needs. Some go for price, some go for service or something in between. If this was not the case, there would be no competition.

Guitarslinger, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You're not going to Japan on your honeymoon by any chance. :wink:

So now its not right to ask a dealer to clarify himself too here?He made some claims which now he says he cant back up.Be it about the price being cheaper,be it about not being able to match the price.He claimed all that before.We have a 180 degree turn and its ok,no one can ask about it?Unreliable in my opinion.

I outlined my view of the basic relationship between seller and buyer. Implicit in my statement is the need to ask questions.

Your opinion is noted.

You obviously can't read pal.

I never said we would MATCH the price ? for ?. I said we'd try and compete. There only seems to be you that has issues understanding that.

"With regards price, you give us a landed quote and then get in touch with James in the office - he will be glad to talk to any of you about Tokai guitars - ANY guitars. And in short we'll do our best to compete with any quote. The final decision is yours. "

And i never laid down any false info. I used a readily accessible site which turns out to not be the cheapest out there (something i admitted might be the case anyway.) You pointed out that there are some cheaper prices available, nice one, this is what the thread is about. Why can't you leave it at that rather than sticking the boot in when it is not needed!?

You did not mention what their shipping quotes would be? This makes the guitars seem a lot cheaper than they would be? :evil:

Anyway mate, you are starting to get on my goat and creating a lot of negativity that i don't need, nor is rightly deserved. I'm not going to respond to this thread any further. I get the feeling that arguing over this any more is going to be futile.

I think the reasonable people out there such as jawilluk get the gist of what's on offer and the choices a customer can make.

jawilluk - thanks mate, no, Thailand - Phuket. Looking a bit rainy of late, but if we get a few good days of sunny weather i'll be happy.

as ive said in previous posts how to calculate total cost from japan to uk
cost of guitar
cost of shipping
then duty, then post office handling fee
duty payable on shipping so beware

this forum USED to be enjoyable to participate in, why oh why is everyone being so bloody attacking towards people?? These and recent antics on here are really making me loose my faith in what used to be a real commoradary in here.

Guitarslinger, I personally do not think you have done anything wrong and would be more than happy in the future to call you and speak to you about what you can and can't do, if I felt at such time that I could source something cheaper then that would be my decision, and not your problem, why people cannot understand that I have no idea, and congrats on your impending wedding, I get hitched on Saturday ! *gulp*

Guitar Slinger is OK with me as well. He did respond to questions honestly, and if people feel his price is too high, they are free to shop elsewhere. I don't think he has been misleading. Perhaps he could've worded the initial post with a bit more forethought, but since when is a dealer a villian for making a living? When describing our own company/guitar ability/job application, etc., don't we all try to portray ourselves favourably?

When I was in the UK I saw the same guitars he carries in various stores, all with higher prices than he routinely advertises. I personally have had negative experiences with various rock bottom price dealers. Sometimes the lowest price isn't the best deal, sometimes it is.

As I posted elsewhere earlier, I have corresponded with Rich (guitar slinger) previously elsewhere, and was happy when I ran into him here. Very difficult for me to believe he is trying to take advantage of any one with misinformation. Haven't we all said something in our lives that was less than 100% researched? I know I have.

Disagree with someone? Say so by all means, but can't we be civil here? I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, as I am new enough here myself that I don't readily recognize every name. I CERTAINLY don't want to start a fight with anyone. It does seem what was an extremely pleasent place to talk guitars just a few weeks ago has become unpleasent, not just on this thread.

Finally, have a blast at the wedding and in Thailand, Rich! 15 years of marriage for me now, and haven't had a fight yet. It's been great, hope it is for you as well!