help confirming tokai date

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salamander

Reaction score
hello tokia lovers.

im about to go for a breezysound on an auction site.
hers the auction page im bidding on:
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m29875524

seems to me it is a 1982 version of a 50 or 56 replica.
the serial number is 0012530 on the back of the neck plate.
on the dating/id page of the great tokai registry it says this guitar should have a 5 digit serial nuber but this is 7 digits.
do i ignore the "00" part?
seems the seller is saying 50 is stamped at the bottom of the neck wich i believe makes it a 1950 replica but not 100% sure.
looks like the same guitar here in the 1982 catalog.
http://tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume539.jpg
its the te50-gsr in the top right hand corner.

looks like a spaghetti logo lawsuit model and all that good stuff!

thanks for your input in helping me get the correct date/id on this guitar.

-salamander

"yes I have that one in my sights as well."
a little competition ne!
are you in japan also then?

either way....
im going to let this one go.
if i was collecting guitars right now i would try to buy it but since its a TE50 i will wait for a TE70 or higher.

hope you get it if you want it sneakey japan!

-sal

yes I`m here...but there are others on this site who have access to stuff on yahoo Japan...so keep that in mind or post only after you buy...`cause there ain`t a little competition...thers a LOT of competition.

I bought this guitar off Yahoo Japan and received it a few days ago. I ran across your post while researching your same questions. I really liked the look of the guitar from the pictures, and it turned out just as advertised. The seller said he thought the neck was curved, but he was wrong. Anyways, it appears to be a TE50, made before 1982. Nice vintage tint to the neck and headstock, and I kind of like the wear marks on the back. Still trying to get a better date for this Breezy Sound. I have some other Tokai's, I'm here in Japan too. I'd sell this one if you're interested still. Please be nice to me on Yahoo, there's tough competion on these! thanks for the info in your posts and happy hunting!

Guitarslayer47

sorry.....it`s every gaijin for himself. if you want nice, better go to Disney World.

Sendai, Miyagi...but I love Yokohama. Real nice city...any good guitar places there?

cool place, like a college town from what I remember.... I haven't scouted enough local guitar shops, but Ochanomisu in Tokyo has about 30 guitar stores in 3 blocks. And the clerks at the local Ishibashi's keep their eyes peeled for me for trade in's like Tokai, greco, etc.

Anyways as for being 'nice', I suppose you're right - every good Tokai on Yahoo goes on over 100 watch lists in the first few days and the price goes from nothing to 70K in the last 10 minutes. No gain in only 2 or 3 people 'cooperating'... There's one guy with an ST80 still in the original box, reserve of 155K. Ya think that's a little high?

saw that one... bet it sells. A guy listed an 80s LS-150 for 150,000 got no bids and has relisted for 188,000 ... happens all the time.
Yeah Sendai has a few unis. Don`t know how long you`ve been in country but you do know of HONNE and TATEMAE yes? I wouldn`t be shocked if the Ishibashi guys used that on you...after 13 years here I`m no closer to knowing when I being told the truth or...not. So now I just assume it`s the "not".

hi, a question for sneakyjapan --

i don't know HONNE and TATEMAE, would you mind explaining what that is all about?

thanks!

PS - I posted recently in another section a request for any information on Tokai "Golden Era Model" guitars, no one seems to have heard of this Les Paul model which seems to be from the "Reborn" era, would you know anything about them?

Back