RGT Exams

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the RGT grading exams?

I'm kind of thinking at giving them a go and wondered if anyone had any experience of what they're like

Has anyone taken the RGT grading exams?

I'm kind of thinking at giving them a go and wondered if anyone had any experience of what they're like

I've not taken the exams but in the last three months Total Guitar there has been articles on passing the RGT exams. They've done grades 1, 2 and 3 so far giving an insight into what is required. Worth a look.

LBUK

Hi LBUK - they're good articles - actually my inspiration for looking into it (TG has been overflowing with good stuff in recent months)

I'm not so bothered about getting a certificate but as I'm self taught I'm becoming aware that there are gaps in my knowledge and the grades seem to be a good way to plug them in structured way.

Certainly from total guitar I know I can walk the first three, so I'm weighing in at grade 4- although I know that many elements of my playing exceed that level, it's where I'm most rounded (there are a lot of my play that is also not so good, but I gloss over that :D )

Hi,
Is there anywhere on line where we can have a look at whats in these Exams? I found one website from the teachers point of view but not the student.

S.

The only site I've found info was rgt.org.uk - which gives the overview and the syllabus. Pretty much they seem to be designed to test the skills that a good session player would need.

I can't find anything that details what there like to do either. From what I gather it's a the first sections you get asked to play scale or some chords and you're marked on knowledge. Then the give you thirty seconds to look at a chord sequence before playing it. Then a second chord sequence to improvise over.

In later stages you get to demonstrate specialties - like blues or slide (dunno if extreme speed metal is allowed).

I'm really interested to know what the exam experience is like - until now I always thought music grades were for posh kids who play the horn. :D

Latest posts

Back