Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gibson: Made in China?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snake
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the epiphone LP standards were made in korea, and it was the lower end models, the special II etc, that were made in china?

I would be interested to find out how the quality of these weighs up against the quality of an Epiphone now that you mention it. I am guessing these things probably vary alot from like, something made by furniture company who have no clue how to make a guitar.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some real Epiphones are made in China, but it's a near certainty that the e-bay Chinese Gibsons and Epiphones have only a resemblance to a real Epiphone or Gibson. They're more likely to be fakes than production over-runs, although if they are overruns, my money's on Epiphone.
Schnabelrock
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Gibson Les Paul Reply with quote

Barry NYC wrote:
UPDATE: I've had this instrument for a week now. The more bits I cut out of it & throw away, this guitar it ACTUALLY IMPROVING! In the first hour I had it, I yanked out the plastic nut & glued in a brass one. On the second day, I cut out the bridge pickup & tossed in a Rio Grande pickup I had laying arond the house. Yesterday I pulled the 3 hole truss rod cover & installed a LP Standard 2 hole bell shaped cover. When I get the matching neck pickup, I intend to cut out all the remaining electronics & throw them away. I don't know what kind of wood this thing is made of, but so far it looks & sounds pretty good! Much better than before. I really should spread for a better set of tuners since I've gone this far. If you want to buy one of these things, I suggest you grab one before the lawyers get involved. Of course, these guitars are junk but I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Finally it all comes down that the guitar costed 500 Dollars or more
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500?

?160 G**** LP guitar, including delivery, then ?40 for used '59 Humbuckers and about ?25 for the all the rest used &/or off e-bay. And it can all be done for less.

That's about $400. I hope that when it arrives it is, as promised, "real timbre" and real "imitate Gibson" and not fiberboard or worse.

If you're into fakes, then it's worth a look.
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunbury wrote:
.... That's about $400

Import duties will add about 25% onto the guitar
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Guitar ?80 = That's ?20.00 tax to pay and most of it VAT. For anyone doing this through a VAT registered business the tax is almost undectabley small. And ?20 isn't exactly huge.
Barry NYC
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Gibson Les Paul Reply with quote

Schnabelrock wrote:
Barry NYC wrote:
UPDATE: I've had this instrument for a week now. The more bits I cut out of it & throw away, this guitar it ACTUALLY IMPROVING! In the first hour I had it, I yanked out the plastic nut & glued in a brass one. On the second day, I cut out the bridge pickup & tossed in a Rio Grande pickup I had laying arond the house. Yesterday I pulled the 3 hole truss rod cover & installed a LP Standard 2 hole bell shaped cover. When I get the matching neck pickup, I intend to cut out all the remaining electronics & throw them away. I don't know what kind of wood this thing is made of, but so far it looks & sounds pretty good! Much better than before. I really should spread for a better set of tuners since I've gone this far. If you want to buy one of these things, I suggest you grab one before the lawyers get involved. Of course, these guitars are junk but I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Finally it all comes down that the guitar costed 500 Dollars or more

I did not spend $500 but it was DEFINITELY worth $400 to me.
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own - but I'm fascintated by fakes. Really good ones or really bad ones, please. Of course money plays a part - but the Chinese guitars are outrageously brazen, which is a reason on it's own for getting one. And they're cheap, which is another reason. I'll upgrade it for my own pleasure - but of course I'll keep all the original parts. Honest!
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gibson.cn/docc/home.asp

FYI. Gibson China.
magentaplacenta
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seller has been thrown off ebay, "Not a registered user"
bunbury
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not e-bay - and if you go to www.gibson.com (surely nothing fake about that!), click other countries: china, then http://www.gibson.cn/ is where you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: