GOLDSTAR SOUND 62 BODY MODEL WITH A ONE PIECE MAPLE NECK?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axe

Reaction score
hi guy?s
i recently purchased a Tokai Gold star sound awesome guitar,here?s the catch,it has a 3 tone sunburst body,a 3 ply white/bl/wh pickguard with 11 holes,now that sounds to me like a 62 strat model,but this guitar has a one piece maple neck like the 57 models,not a rosewood fretboard.
my question is,is this original does anyone know Tokai made these in this configuration,it also has a L neckplate,pickups are the ones with the big magnet underneath,once again it plays and sounds wonderful,i just want to know if its original

help me out here boys :lol:

rock on
JP

the cheaper st40 were like that , but im not 100% about the L numbered neckplate as they were on the goldstar replicas of the 60's
an st50 and above should be rosewood necks. some where on the forum ther are photos in one of the catelogues of the st40 with both the rosewood and maple boards with 11 hole scratchplates
but as i always say, if it plays awsome and you like it ,why worry about it if it has bits from other guitars, some of the great guitarists have guitars made up from other guitars

Thanks Mike
and indeed you?re right this is a wonderful sounding and playing guitar,don?t matter to me,but if you view this link,its the 1984 tokai catalog, you see the second guitar on the right,its a 3 tone sunburst body as far as i can tell,can?t see the holes of the pickguard though,but this has a maple neck,and the color looks just like mine.
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v808.jpg

thanks for your effort

My mid 80?s AST-40 Goldstar also has an 11 hole pickguard, except for the headstock shape the AST-40 and TST-40 are identical. If your guitar does not have Kluson type tuners stamped "DELUXE" it?s probably a TST-40. It should also have a tremolo cast in one piece with cast saddles like 70?s Fender strats.

Mike

hiya axe
ill try and find the photo of the st 40 later.maybe someone has changed the neck from the original but the L number def is for 60's replicas
may be its just been the scratch plate thats been changed, take it off and see how many holes there is if my memory is right, i think that if you put asingle ply scratch plate on a guitar that has 11 holes only one of the holes wont line up. so maybe it has been redrilled so that an 11 hole one will fit, so there might be 12 holes or more. i know that i prefer maple necks and i have thought about getting one for my my rosewood springy
but just never got round to it

I have a 1984 goldstar tokai st-40 exact the same 3 tone sunburst with maple neck cheap tuners and a L number on the neckplate and tokai stamped sadles.

I have seen 3 more tokai's who are exact the same as the one i've got

so its 100% original tokai have made some 60 models with mapel necks but it plays like a dream !!

atokig.jpg

atokig(2).jpg

Latest posts

Back