Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intonation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexuscol
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Intonation Reply with quote

has anyone been able to get perfectly tuned notes at the twelth fred on their LR's or Goldstars, mine seem to be a bit out either a tiny bit out sharp/flat no matter how many adjustments I tweak. Could my tuner be naff, it is a Korg GA30?
Dana
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a question i thought about myself before.

I dont think it is possible to get perfect intonation on a guitar unless you press down on each string with the same pressure each time. I suppose if you used a capo on the 12th fret and tried to intonate it, you could probably get it pretty close. The capo giving you consistency each time you apply it to the twelth fret. But for me, every time i push down the string, i know it isnt with the same pressure as the last time no matter how hard i try(maybe a little more, maybe a little less). And i certainly dont press down as hard as a capo when i play.

I have a Seiko Tuner (your average $20 tuner), and when i intonate, i try to get it within +/- 4. Anything more, and my ears can sense it just starting to go a little sharp or flat.

I think the key is to get it close, knowing it wont be perfect. It's gonna be better than if you werent to intonate at all (and i'm sure we've heard how bad it sounds on a guitar that needed intonation real bad).

Dana
lexuscol
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input
Col
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For perfect intonation, you need the Strobotuner...around US$200.

It can tune the the wing vibrations of a mosquito.

Any good quality chromatic tuner will give a reasonably precise harmonic intonation but your local luthier would have a Strobotuner to do the job 200%. It may be worth having them do the intonation first, then plug into your tuner and see where the needle sits and mark that spot for future intonation upgrades. Make sure they have a Strobotuner first though.

Remember that every time you change the Brand, guage or compound of your strings the intonation will be altered - as will new strings to old strings.

Peter Mac
guitarboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that because of the even tempered scale used on guitars you won't get perfect intonation.

Put simply: each string has a different mass therefore the frets should really be at slightly different positions for each string for the scales to be perfect.

This is true of all guitars, so all you can do is get it as close as you can.

Or you could try this:
http://www.earvana.com

I haven't tried one yet but it looks like a solution

GB
Dana
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finally took the time to read up on that earvana mechanism and i find it very interesting. The only thing i dont like about it, is the holes going through the nut to the neck.

Has anyone on the board had any experience with one of these? Inquiring minds want to know. WHat are your fellings about it? Effective?

Dana
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
munkieNL
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: intonation Reply with quote

I suppose you know for correct intonation the "flageolet" (I?m Dutch,can?t think of the English word) you get picking the string with your finger loosely over the 12th fret and then quickly taking off your finger, should be equal to the fretted note in the 12th position. Check it with your tuner.

I had to reverse 3 of the bridge saddles of my 1992 Love Rock so that all of the bridge saddles are now "pointing" to the bridge PU. Most of the saddles are flat against the left side(seeing from above) of the bridge. I use D?Addario XL 010 strings. This gets the intonation sort of right. Old strings get out of tune and out of intonation.

With my Goldstar Sound strat i have had no intonation problems.

Best regards,

Freek the TokaiFreek

http://members.lycos.co.uk/tokaiguitars
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you mean the 12th fret harmonic. I always thought that it should be exactly the same as the note fretted at the 12th, but after reading Dan Erlewine's 'Guitar Player Repair Guide' (or maybe it was his 'How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great'), apparently it isn't exactly, if you want to get really anal about it. If you're having intonation problems the Dan Erlewine books are well worth a read. He's also an advocate of Buzz Feiten's tuning system (www.buzzfeiten.com) which claims to sort out a lot of the problems inherent in tempered tuning.
nakamichi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Tuning Reply with quote

Everybody knows it's impossible to get perfect tuning on a stringed instrument.

Don't they???? That's why computer generated music sounds so crap, and why the Kinks sound so good...
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Kinks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: