Tokai SG155 versus Tokai SG75 versus Epiphone Elite SG 61

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Web Surf

Reaction score
Help,

I'm confused

I will be travelling to japan shortly and decided that I will pick up an SG shaped guitar

I find that Tokai's brochures and web pages carry very little information on neck dimensions, manufacturer of tuners etc etc

Is the difference between the SG155's Honjoras Mahagony worth the massive price increase over the SG75's Mahagony ?

How does the MIJ Epiphone Elite SG '61 compare with the Tokai offerings ?

Web Surf said:
Is the difference between the SG155's Honjoras Mahagony worth the massive price increase over the SG75's Mahagony ?
It's also 1-piece vs. probably 2-piece body, lacquer vs. polyurethane finish, aluminum vs. normal tailpiece, brass vs. normal saddles, MK2 vs. MK3 pickups, Switchcraft switch and jack vs. normal ones, CTS vs. normal pots, and sprague orange drop vs. normal caps.

How does the MIJ Epiphone Elite SG '61 compare with the Tokai offerings ?
No idea, sorry.

Danke, Hans !!

As I am new around here, could you also explain the benefit of each difference between the two Tokai SGs ?

also the cost difference between the differences in hardware. Does that add up roughly to the difference in list price ?

Many Thanks

PS : I dont like "probably 2 piece" I wish it was easier to get precise info on Tokai. I just could not find neck dimensions anywhere. I have small hands and need a slimmer neck

I think the Elitist has a poly finish. So definitely go for the Tokai.
But there is some ?piphone "limited edition" that have the lacquer finish.

As I am new around here, could you also explain the benefit of each difference between the two Tokai SGs ?
Well, you can find most of it explained in older threads if you use the search function. Generally all these little details are said to improve the sound of the guitar towards the old originals. Gibson promotes them for their Historic Reissue collection, each year a new item... ;) By the way, rumour has it that they will reintroduce Brazilian rosewood (= Jacaranda) fingerboards for their Les Pauls this summer. :lol:

also the cost difference between the differences in hardware. Does that add up roughly to the difference in list price ?
No, the main difference is of course the 1-piece Honduras mahogany body and neck, because this wood is very expensive nowadays, as it comes from controlled plantages and is forbidden to be exported in any other form. And don't underestimate the costs for a true glossy nitro lacquer finish, it takes days to weeks to do it right.

PS : I dont like "probably 2 piece" I wish it was easier to get precise info on Tokai. I just could not find neck dimensions anywhere. I have small hands and need a slimmer neck
The catalog descriptions are short, but precise if you know how to read them. Neck dimensions were only published in the early days though, because they change it according to their customers' wishes. Generally the Tokai necks are on the chunky but comfortable side, so no baseball bats like '57 or earlier Gibson Les Paul reissues. I have small hands, too, and love both of my two Love Rocks, although the LS120 is thinner than the LS60.

Concerning the neck:

Generally the Tokai necks are on the chunky but comfortable side, so no baseball bats like '57 or earlier Gibson Les Paul reissues. I have small hands, too, and love both of my two Love Rocks, although the LS120 is thinner than the LS60.

I can assert Hans-J?rgen's statement, because at first I thought that the neck of my Edwards LP(new) is comfortable for me - but when I felt the neck of my Tokai (bought later) I actually knew what a "comfortable" neck really is ... !!

It is thinner but better for my small fingers! :wink:

Roger

The Tokai hands down.Anything on the high range is extremly good and cheap for what you get!

The Epiphone Elite line is very good, but the tokais are just flat out better playind guitars. I've had both and there is a big difference in the vibe. Don't get me wrong, I had a great 1957 gt elite from Japan with the corect headstock and a super long tenon, but it just did'nt measure up to the slightly less exspensive LS 145S and up. Go for the Tokai.

Mark

well since you`re going to be here soon, wait till you arrive and judge for yourself. I mean neck shape, thickness, comfort, tone etc etc...are all subjective so you`ll be the ultimate judge of what suits you. As for quality, your eyes will let you know.
There are 2 Elite faded SGs for sale here and they look nice but I picked em up and saw they are both 3 piece bodies, not that thats bad, I own a few made of 3 pieces and are selling for around $500.oo US. If your going to Tokyo you should have no trouble finding guitars... deciding which to buy however may take some thougt...unless you`re using your gold card. Buy the monthly guitar magazines once you get here and ask the hotel staff to point you in the right direction, hopefully you`ll find a staff member who won`t tell you in perfect English that they don`t speak English... don`t be surprised if the guitar shop staff doesn`t speak English though...I`m not saying they CAN`t speak it but they won`t... theres a real lack of confidence about that here even though they all study it in school. Of course Tokyo is so much more cosmopolitan than the city I live in so your experiences will be different from mine no doubt. Still, bring a camera and leave the stereotypes at home. OH yeah...eat the natto...if you dare.

You will regret buying an Epiphone. Everyone always does.

Even the Korean Tokais are superiour to the Epiphones.

TSL said:
You will regret buying an Epiphone. Everyone always does.

Even the Korean Tokais are superiour to the Epiphones.

Anyone else second that ?

Do you feel Korean Tokai's are "better" than Japanese Elite Epiphones ? In which way ?

Anyone actually play both the SG155 and the SG75 and can assist with a comparison ?

Please do write in, especially if you have hands on experience. Thanks

No way. Korean Tokai I have tried ( a few years ago now) were a little better than ?piphone. But the elitist range is much better.

Back