Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's hear it for Greco Les Pauls!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say generally, the egf-1000's I have had, (not the customs) were equivelent in feel, playability and quality to my early ls-120's, .. as with the tokais the higher greco's were only being graded by flametop intensity and PU's.. I dont think that there is a major difference in the overall build quality from the early LS-80 to LS-200 apart from the level of flame and PU's..(and the rarity and cost!! lol)same with the greco's ..it seems that EG 1000 up were all nitro finish, nicest wood etc...the EGF-1200's are about as rare and expensive as the LS-150 and 200, and have as lovely tops too.....its all very much down to personal choice for each individual guitar ...but generally, I think they are both in the same ball park...I think that the Orville by Gibsons are there or thereabouts too...although the necks tend to be a bit less chunky...again ..generally..the thing I love about all this time period is that you get different guitars, very few are crap ..the overall level of everything in the making of them was, in my view, better than you get today, unless you get hand-built stuff...and for Gibbo historics, thats still quite hit and miss...I have had 12 historics this year, and 3 have been great, I have had about 50 high end japanese 80's guitars of all makes, and 40 have been great...I think all the early 80's japanese LP replicas, with the attention to detail and care and passion of the makers at the time, really stands head and shoulders above most modern guitars..

jesus thats my dissatation finished ...lol...

try a couple more of the top end greco's ..if you can find them, and the Orville by Gibsons, and see what you think ...
grounded
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard and read from numerous places that the Burny RLG-90s and 120s are just as nice as Tokai and Greco high end models, but sound and play even more true to an original 1959 Les Paul. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think new Burnys LG90 were better than Tokais......
grounded
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not new Burny's. I was speaking of the 80s Burny Super Grades.
orvilleowner
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grounded wrote:
I have heard and read from numerous places that the Burny RLG-90s and 120s are just as nice as Tokai and Greco high end models, but sound and play even more true to an original 1959 Les Paul. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Ha ha! ... that's pretty much a matter of taste and argument about what guitars "sound and play true to an original 1959 Les Paul." And I doubt you'll find anybody on a Tokai Forum who'll agree with that !

Look at what VILLAGER said above: "I think all the early 80's japanese LP replicas, with the attention to detail and care and passion of the makers at the time, really stands head and shoulders above most modern guitars."

Even in the 70's, the Ibanez Les Paul copies were really something!

High end Les Pauls from Burny, Navigator, Momose, Tokai, Greco, and Orville hold their own compared with Gibson Les Pauls of any age. Another thing to consider is that there was a great deal of variability among 1959 Les Pauls, which means there really is no single 1959 Les Paul sound!

Disclaimer: I am not a Tokai owner. I am happy with my high-end Orville Les Paul Custom. It's been over 20 years since I played a late 50's Les Paul. Unfortunately, I don't remember them being spectacular!
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I accidentally came across a Navigator NST-300M(just because Toaki does nor make such a high end at this time and I cannot find any reasonably priced old replica) and I can says it's a fantastic and I mean fantastic guitar....

Now about Grecos,you have to be an educated on Grecos because they made a lot of models(from very cheap to highest end)....
tokaigeek
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone give me information about greco les paul standards with 3-pickup configurations? at least it says 'standard' on the truss rod cover. the serial at the back of the headstock is G787662. it appeared to be one of the chambered deals but i've yet to find another one with 3 pickups. i'll try to post pictures soon.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one.If it has an ebony board then it's a EG800 model and if it spots a rosewood board then it's a EG600 model.Good guitar but very heavy(pancake body and volute) with a thick poly finish.
Grecomaniac
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokaigeek wrote:
can anyone give me information about greco les paul standards with 3-pickup configurations? at least it says 'standard' on the truss rod cover. the serial at the back of the headstock is G787662. it appeared to be one of the chambered deals but i've yet to find another one with 3 pickups. i'll try to post pictures soon.

Hi, normally the 3-pu configuration was only used on Customs. If it has double body bindings, bindings on neck and headstock, it's a Greco Custom with a wrong trussrod cover, if it's a real standard with 3-pu's, it's a rare model. The serial means the guitar was built in July 1978. As far as I know the chambered body was used on the Super Power models and some other lower grades from the late 70's. My EG-800 from 1978 has no chambered body, but a long tenon. It's my favourite around 30 other Grecos including some Super Reals and Mint Collections. Don't be confused by the photo, the electrics of my one are heavily modified by a Japanese Custom shop, so the small switches are not original. If the price is ok get it, the late 70's higher grade Grecos are hot.
Regards
Volker
andydehmer
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

Hello, i have a Greco EGC-68-50 Can anyone tell me something about this model. Te serial is B87xxxx. The man who sells me this guitar told me it is from the Mint Collection. Can anyone tell me something about the quality and the value of this guitar.
Some pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7398303567&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
bigbadpj
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread

I have a 80`s Fernandes Super Grade Honeyburst and it is as good as a Tokai,Burny,Orville..whatever..it is one really great guitar and I can say that because..

I have a `57..yes 1957 Gibson Les Paul Standard..PAF equipped...

And can u compare them?

Well in a word....NO!!

But in itself it is spectacular!They got it goin` on when they produced `em

lol..remember all the Japanese companies were trying to produce great guitars at reasonable prices back then..
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the purists out there...

early burnys & fernandes have a thin poly finish and no long tenon...if thats important to you ...however ..they sound superb...
Duckmeister
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadpj wrote:

I have a `57..yes 1957 Gibson Les Paul Standard..PAF equipped...

PICS MAN PICS!!!

maybe a sound clip or 6...
Micky Mojo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine....

And with Gibson

villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

Last edited by villager on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: