Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question concerning the semi-hollow body or chambered guitars from Greco. Where did the inspiration come for these? Was there an equivalent Gibson guitar that they were modeled after or was it only to lighten them up and/or change the sound?

Thanks!

The guitar mentioned in the above post:

I sold it a couple of months back, but I miss it. I didn't have to do much to it. The original pickups sounded great the body was in quite good shape (save a gash in the back).

detroitace said:
I have a question concerning the semi-hollow body or chambered guitars from Greco. Where did the inspiration come for these? Was there an equivalent Gibson guitar that they were modeled after or was it only to lighten them up and/or change the sound?

Thanks!
Yes, the inspiration were the Gibson from the 70's as far as I know. Same for the pancake bodies.

Yes, the inspiration were the Gibson from the 70's as far as I know. Same for the pancake bodies

I knew that Gibson made pancake bodies in the 70's, but didn't think they made chambered les pauls. Do you know which models were chambered?

Thanks!

Hello, i have a Greco EGC-68-50 Can anyone tell me something about this model. Te serial is B87xxxx. The man who sells me this guitar told me it is from the Mint Collection. Can anyone tell me something about the quality and the value of this guitar.
Some pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7398303567&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

recently around my area, this guy put up a 1978 greco flying v for sale for like us $450. but cant really find much info on that partiucular yr model. what i gathered from guitarjapan website is that the guitars that were made from77-79 were good but not to exact gibson specs...true?
maybe guys can advise if its worth getting or maybe tell me more about greco flying v from 1978, how were the quality n pickups..

thanks

edited: from what i gathered fr http://psyco.jp/greco/c09_21.html. the modelshould be the lower price fv600 because of the tom string loading kind rather than the fv900 which is string thru body.

recently around my area, this guy put up a 1978 greco flying v for sale for like us $450. but cant really find much info on that partiucular yr model. what i gathered from guitarjapan website is that the guitars that were made from77-79 were good but not to exact gibson specs...true?
maybe guys can advise if its worth getting or maybe tell me more about greco flying v from 1978, how were the quality n pickups..

thanks

edited: from what i gathered fr http://psyco.jp/greco/c09_21.html. the modelshould be the lower price fv600 because of the tom string loading kind rather than the fv900 which is string thru body.

tbdcco said:
but cant really find much info on that partiucular yr model. what i gathered from guitarjapan website is that the guitars that were made from77-79 were good but not to exact gibson specs...true?
Yes it's true. Fot greco models at least. Like, head can be a little bigger than Gibson's one, things like that. For the rest, it's difficult to tell as the quality range for greco can be wide but pick up are often really good, even on cheap models.
But there's a lot of mystakes on guitarjapan site so if I were you, I wouldn't refer to that site when looking for infos.

hi,

need some help.

how do you tell if it's a Greco Super Real or not? Did they make Super Real in 1982?

What is the difference between a Super Real and Mint collection?

Super Real was in 1980 to 1981 only.

Mint Collection was from 1982 to 1989 (maybe until 1990). Best years to get are 82 to 85 they say for quality.

The differences are the details of the Instruments, Names given to them (EGF1000 vs EG58-120), some construction i believe in the Les Pauls are slightly different.

What is the same is the serial numbers. 1980 goes 0 XXXX all the way up to 1989 which is 9 XXXX. Again it might repeat itself in 1990 with the 0 XXXX but i dont know for sure.

If you want ot know the models to get look at this page for info:

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/japanguitars/page1.html

hi, thanks for the reply. how do i then identify and verify the authenticity of a Mint Collection?

Here's a link to Harmony Central's GRECO section of user submitted reviews. See if the descriptions by these owners give you any hints as to what they percieve their guitars are like

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Greco/

Also if you own this guitar remove the strings and carefully take out both pickups - this way you can determine if the guitar has a hollowed out body (some Greco LPs do) and also get a looksee at the neck tendon AND to see if the top is a laminate or solid maple top. Most of us hardcore collectors want a solid maple top - understanding that some guys have smaller budgets though, the laminated top guitars are still very nice

Big

hum, Harmony central reviews are difficult to rely on. No matter what brand, it allways end up with "definitely a bang for the buck, the quality of a Gibson for cheaper. etc..." :D
Wonder if people are deaf or if they try to fool themselves. :-?

Harmony Central reviews must be viewed with some caution. If the reviewer says "I just got it" then he's still in the bliss filled "honeymoon stage" of ownership. I look for guys that have been playing a long time, maybe in a regularly working band, where the instrument is getting a real workout. Most people won't come right out and say "Man I screwed up buying this POS", well except when it comes to Ed Roman gutiars. LOL.

But they are good to distinguish what people paid (and when), features and hopefully the subtle cosmetic differences. I've also seen my share of situations where the reviewer posted his review under the wrong model number - but that's pretty easy to spot if there are say 8 or 9 reviews of the same model.

I'd rather rely on these owner written reviews and evaluations than on rags like Guitar Player or Guitar World that write up and instrument and oh my, look at that, an ad for the very instrument on the opposite page... :roll:

bigmike said:
Most people won't come right out and say "Man I screwed up buying this POS", well except when it comes to Ed Roman gutiars. LOL.

That good ol' Ed!!! :lol:
I did said that a couple of time, but not on harmony central (never posted there anyway.)

ok truss rods on mint coll are plain ...older (pre 80 greco's have standard on them ...also mint coll is not fret edge binding and ser no like gibson hist ....the only way to tell the model no of a mint coll is by the flaming and the pickups..top level eg58-120 and 59-100 have DRY PU ...eg59-70 and 85 have screamin or double trick ....

hope this helps..

www.japanguitars.co.uk

see the ones on my site for examples..

On the far right you'll see my Greco Goldtop with Mini Humbuckers..

TheCollection2.jpg

Back